Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there any disease between Fish(koi) and Human?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there any disease between Fish(koi) and Human?

Hello Dears;

There maybe exist some allergic problem with sensitive skins but is there any parasitic, Microbiol or bacterial disease between human and koi?

Regards

I am not aware of any.

However, any pond can be habitat for bacteria that can enter the body through a wound or scratch, leading to an internal infection. Ornamental fish ponds generally have a higher bacteria count than natural water bodies because of all the fish waste from the comparatively high population per gallon. There have been a few reports of pondkeepers getting seriously ill from this sort of infection. Fortunately, it is rare. In all cases I have heard about, the person had a fresh scratch or cut that had been bleeding not long before getting into a pond.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
      I am not aware of any.
      The old "AKCA Guide to Koi Health" (Copyright 1996) listed tuberculosis as a possible koi illness. At the time it came out, [someone] said that the illness was also communicable to humans, from the fish. True or false??

S. Stone

Comment

I would not worry about the koi as a direct threat. Rather the risk is the ecosystem in which they live. The water should be full of all manner of pathogens that both we and they usually fight off. But if you have a nasty cut, you could pick up a gram-negative bacteria like aeromonas or pseudomonas or just a nasty fungus.
        Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

Originally posted by MCA View Post
          I would not worry about the koi as a direct threat. Rather the risk is the ecosystem in which they live. The water should be full of all manner of pathogens that both we and they usually fight off. But if you have a nasty cut, you could pick up a gram-negative bacteria like aeromonas or pseudomonas or just a nasty fungus.
          The closed koi pond is like a toilet and no mater how clean it is the water contains bad things-urine-fecal mater-bacteria from these-food breaking down-best to wear examination gloves-when directly handling the fish-it is better for you and the fish. I agree with the above statement

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
          Working...
          X