No announcement yet.

Shower Filter: Mats as Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I am breaking in the cartridges I have the Flowfriend down around 1000prm. Every morning since I put in the cartridges I get two pond corners full of dry foam. I did not get that much DOC separation from 4 trays of BHM and virtually none from 2 trays of MP2C. Big difference so far with 2 cartridges. The white box on top of the shower is the water distribution box. When I made it as a prototype I used perforated sizes as well because I did not have any sold sheets of plastic. I do have some now and will rebuild the box this weekend. I will post pictures later.
    Attached Files
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

Thanks for the photo of your top distribution box. I was only thinking of a using standard piping and fittings to try and distribute water evenly from the top. Your photo opens up many different possibilities for the Do-it-yourselfers. Off to the drawing board. When I was living in Japan, I purchased and brought back with me 20 plastic bins that I saw in a Momotaro video that used these for there BH system. I will be working on building a distribution box for these and maybe use some J-Mat and Matala Mat in layers...

Comment

Now that we have shower all stacked with trays that contain media, we need to deliver water to the top of the uppermost tray. Many folks use one or more pipes drilled into them to create a spray bar. For me there are two problems with a spray bar. The first is the pressure needed to cause water to spray from the pipes is using pump energy. I would rather the pump deliver more gallons per hour for the same energy consumed. The second problem is that the water will not be equally distributed across all of the upper tray. Some media will get more and some will get less water. Depending on the spray pattern, you could lose some filtration capability in the first tray because some of the media is not getting enough water.

Consider another approach. Build a water distribution box. Let the pump simply deliver water to a plastic box. No backup pressure on the pump from a spray bar. The water spreads out and falls through evenly spaced holes in the box's floor. I have almost completed my new box that will sit on top of the matting cartridge in my top shower tray. What is missing is a large hole in one long side to connect to the 3" pipe from the pump. The box is made from 1/4" thick PVC sheets that were 24"x48". The sheet used to make the floor has 1/4" holes on 1/2" centers. The second sheet was without holes and used to make the sides. Both sheets were acquired online from USPlastics.

I cut the PVC on my table saw and glued them together with heavy duty PVC glue. I used 4 corner clamps to help with the assembly. The corner clamps I used came from Lowes and hold the box floor 5/8" above the bottom edge of the side pieces. On the photo of the box's bottom you can see that I ripped and glued 5/8" wide strips on the 4 walls under the edges of the floor. That gives good support to the floor. Also I cut and glued two 5/8" strips that go from one long side to the other long side. Those prevent the box's floor from sagging in the middle.

As you can see, this is not rocket science. If you have access to a table saw or similar, you can make a water distribution box for your shower. Leave the shower spray bars for your indoor plumbing.
        Attached Files
        Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

The "rocket science" for a distribution box is deciding the "size" of the holes and "number" of holes.

Comment

Originally posted by MCA View Post

As you can see, this is not rocket science. If you have access to a table saw or similar, you can make a water distribution box for your shower. Leave the shower spray bars for your indoor plumbing.
            Roger that!

Comment

Initial dry fit of new water distribution box. The supply pipe is 3" for high flow with minimum back pressure.
              Attached Files

Comment

With a 3" T fitting to get water to the two short ends of the box.
                Attached Files

Comment

I would be concerned about water splashing out. ....Add a cover of some type?

Comment

Note the big washers and theaded bolts. Those hold up the stainless cover that is attached with acorn type stainless nuts. There is around 1/4" gap between the top edge of the box and the bottom of the cover.....just enough to let in air.

Comment

BTW, I am getting foam out every morning about the same amount as a football. It is as if I had a Clarity or DIY foam franctionator unit, which I do not. I never had BHM or MP2C media cause so much DOC separation.

Comment

I am not aware that mats are used as media in a shower filter. Anyways that's interesting.

Comment

You are welcome. Matting is not nearly as good as ceramic media. But I had to use matting when my first choice of ceramic media started turning to mush. The matting gave me time to find a better ceramic media.

Comment

It will soon be 15 years since my shower filter went into operation. A year or three after it was installed, I began placing used mats across the top of the top tray to catch debris that made it through the pre-filtration and leaf-catcher. Over time I added more as mats used in my Savio skimmers became too worn out for that application. I found that the need to clean the Bacteria House ceramic media was greatly reduced. At this point, all the ceramic media in the top tray has been moved to the lower trays (which required individual placement for all of it to fit), and the top tray is only mats. About 20 mats creating a layer about 8-10 inches thick. It is no longer necessary for me to rinse off the BH to get rid of debris accumulation. The mats capture an amazing amount of dirt and algae glarf. The top ones get cleaned every month or two to get rid of algae glarf. The rest are cleaned when it seems they are beginning to clog, which is 3 or 4 times per year.

For my situation, with trees dropping leaves, pollen, acorns, pecans, twigs and stuff nearly year-round, it is a modification that works well. If I was not in a climate where one tree or another is dropping something all the time (or if I cut down all the trees!!), I would just keep a single layer of mats over the BH in the top tray to catch algae glarf. As it is, I need to give more attention to mechanical filtration in order to maximize the effectiveness of the biological.

Comment

My shower water comes through UltraSieveIII units with 200micron screens. Maybe not as good as an RDF; but, I don't have to clean out the water distribution box or the top tray of H1 ceramics in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by MCA View Post
                                My shower water comes through UltraSieveIII units with 200micron screens. Maybe not as good as an RDF; but, I don't have to clean out the water distribution box or the top tray of H1 ceramics in the spring.
                                Yep. Just the sort of system I would do if building now.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                                Working...
                                X