KHV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KHV

NO IMPORTS OF KOI ANYMORE IN EUROPE FOR NOW !
    SINCE THIS WEEK JAPANESE KOI ARE NOT ALLOWED ANYMORE IN THE EEG FOR KHV.
    THIS IS SO UNTIL END NEXT WEEK FOLLOWING OFFICIALS.
    IN ENGLAND THERE ARE RUMOURS THAT THIS SITUATION WILL BE LIKE THIS AT LEAST UNTIL MAY !
    HOPEFULLY THIS ENDS FAST OR IT WILL DESTROY OUR HOBBY !

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for confirming the situation in Belgium.

In the UK - there is a proposal for a ban to come into effect on the 1st of May. However, before then there is a review meeting in the middle of April.

Like you say - I hope this comes to an end before then.

rgds BERN
    South East Koi Club

Comment

What is the situation in North America? Do we still allow them in. They won't take our beef BSE. Some Japanese companies I have talked to said they are not shipping till they get a handle on the disease.
      The perfect koi is always one purchase or spawning away!

Comment

I have some koi waiting to be shipped from Japan that have been on hold for this KHV thing, and the latest is that they won't be shipped until the end of March, at the Earliest.

Best Regards,

Bob Winkler
        Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

Hi Bob,

As a dear friend of ours is fond of saying you're mixing apples with oranges. In Europe we are talking about import bans, I think your shipment might be held up by an export ban in Japan where different prefectures are imposing different regulations. I know that Niigata has a ban that is due for lifting in March subject to completion of an on going test programme for KHV.

Enjoy AFKAPS and be nice to any Brits you meet.

rgds Bern
          South East Koi Club

Comment

Hey bern

LOL! You are exactly right.. I was talking about a ban from the Japan side. Florida Koi show and Daytona Bike week... It will be a good week Brits you say? I will do my best to be civil :P

Best regards,

Bob
            Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

Brits

Bob, Bern-

What Brits are we expecting at the All Florida show? See you there Bob.

Mike Pfeffer
              Mike Pfeffer
              Northern Midwest ZNA show
              June 19 - 20, 2010
              Season's Garden Nursery
              Fishers, IN

Comment

Hi Mike,

One pair that will be going for certain are the Lynne & Terry Wells, the
                South East Section Show Chairman and Sec. They'll be teaming up with some of the other foreign contingent from South Africa and Holland.

Shame I can't join 'em.

rgds BERN
                South East Koi Club

Comment

Folks,

I've seen a fax from the European Commission from the Health and Consumer protection directors office requesting all members to ensure that KHV is not introduced into the member countries from Japan. The disease was quoted as being "exotic" in this fax.

While I can understand the concern, and appreciate that there's a big carp fishing business in Europe, I think that the Commission is missing the point here with regards to KHV. It's not something that's native to any single carp or koi population. :roll: :roll: :roll:

rgds,
                  Brian Sousa
                  Koi-Bito Forum

Comment

I've seen it stated already, but a little koi stuck his head out of the water today and told me that there is an immense bottleneck for koi trying to be exported from Japan (several months behind).
                    I couldn't get "why" before the little guy swam away, but it is probably that they don't want to infect another part of the market as that would severly damage their precarious position.

Comment

Hi Brian,

I find it strange that we are now focusing on the Japanese outbreak and considering restrictions etc when KHV is already here and no such
                      restrictions were ever considered as protection against the outbreaks in Israel.

From what I have ascertained the impetus for the legislation seems to be centred on the wild carp and not koi. As far as I am aware the EU does not import wild carp from Japan.

What is it the Chinese say? - we live in interesting times.

rgds Bern
                      South East Koi Club

Comment

From the perspective of a fish pathologist the only difference between a carp and a koi is the appearance. Both can equally be infected by KHV.

From a similar perspective, if a particular geographic area has been widely affected (say most rivers, lakes, ponds and streams) then all fish from that geographic location are suspect until proved otherwise on a case by case basis.

Then you add politics.

From what I've seen from Japan and the rest of the planet, many folks are confused biologically about this (and other) virus. However, as best as I can tell nobody has thier banking confused.

Brett
                        Brett

Comment

Hi Brett.

You know that and I know that, but apparently the difference between the Japanese outbreak and the earlier Israeli outbreaks is that in Japan the wild carp population is affected, whereas in Israel it was/is restricted to the fishfarms.

Why that should make any difference is beyond me. But that is apparently the basis for the proposed legislation.

I have to say all of the above is hearsay, as I have seen nothing official to support it, but that is the current explanation that is doing the rounds.

The proposed legislation is real enough though.

rgds BERN
                          South East Koi Club

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                          Working...
                          X