Koi died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koi died

Lost a koi yesterday, have not idea why, did not see any sign of ill health and koi was only about 13 inches, I have had the koi for over a year and was eating good day before. The koi looked fine, no skin problem or anything. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what happened to the koi. If it had shown some signs of ill health I could understand this but it didn't.

any photo ? scrap & scope ?

whould you mind cut the koi open ? take some picture and post it ? I believe REC will be thrill to have those pictures for triag.

stan

Comment

Did you check gills? as Stan said maybe do an autopsy this will let you see a bit more.
      It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Some mystery deaths I have seen. Mixed fish size in pond, one koi will suck up smaller fish racing for food and gag. Small spike mark behind head, bird bill penetration hole. Sorry

Comment

From what I understand, fish have heart attacts too! If there were no warning signs, maybe??
          Koi-Unit
          " Da Best" Chapter
          xxx

Comment

Sorry guys, I dont have what it takes to cut on koi or anything smelling loud after being dead a day, The koi was fine the day before with no apparent heath problems, so it could have been a heart attack. Guess I need to try and develope the bellieeeeeeee for it. Just the thought makes me sick. By the way I did notice that he stunk.

Judy

Comment

KFG, stomach it so that koi had a purpose.. You never know what you might learn or help you learn to prevent such a mishap in the future..

Mystery deaths can happen. Perhaps the koi jumped and hit itself on something?????

Joe

Comment

sudden koi deadth happens. I have 2 died that way, no sign, nothing. One propably died of heat stroke. One maybe du to fast growth rate (2" per month for 4 months).

stan

Comment

There are many reason why koi die. Maybe water condition? Right on with the other guys check the gills...
                  The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by Akinosan
                    From what I understand, fish have heart attacts too! If there were no warning signs, maybe??
                    I have read about this as well. Something like growing koi really fast where the body gets big but the organs don't have time to catch up.. I think it was JR who said that years ago back at KV.. I forget..

Comment

I threw the koi in the woods so I am sure something has got him by now, should be good and rotten. I will next time somthing like this happens take some pics and post for you guys, and I am sure I will learn something. I would think after 3 days he would be to far gone anyway.

Its just strange, I thought maybe a fishhawk of a heron got hold of him at first but when I inspected him, he looked as if he just stopped swimming and died. Day before he was eating like mad just like the others, you would think if he had something bad wrong with him that he would have shown some signs of being ill. I guess I should stop racking my brains trying to figure it out. I will make sure from now on that I keep the koi and let you guys help me. I just did not know that you could tell by a dead fish what was wrong when their is no outword signs.

Judy

Comment

JUDY,
                        Please take a small video of YOU cutting open a stinky koi the next time one dies...if you find it right away, please wait....about 36 hrs would be best.....

OH! and ....Pwwwease.

Comment

Do you want the part where I am throwing up? Really I need something to hold off the smell or it is for sure gonna happen. Now I am wondering why I got into keeping koi, didn't think I would have to do a autopsy on a dead fish. Wonder if Febreze will work? Heck anything is worth a try right? Luke I will send you the video first so you can decide if it is worth the laugh you guys would get. I hope you are not serious about the 36 hrs, thing, if so I aint doing it. But I will send him to you and you can make a small viedo and send it to me and let me decide if it is worth posting/\

Comment

KFG,
                            here ya go...another bit of wisdom FOR FREE....well you are going to send me a video.....
                            get the strongest mint flavored gum you can find, and it will mask alot of the smell....
                            We use it in the ER when the diabetics come in with a gangerous limb that needs amputating...and lower GI Bleeds....other things too...
                            now do you think a dead fish is that bad...I have stories..... You should have been in Mickey's room Saturday night of MAKC..for a story not a smell....
                            or you can dab some wintergreen under your nose...gum's easier to get..
                            Altoids would work well i think

Comment

Thanks Luke , I will remember that! Let just hope I dont loose any more koi I paid to much for that one and lost it, 400.00 buck down the drain, did not even get a chance to get fry out of him. Oh well things could be worse.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X