"Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood"

Mid 60's all of last week and 75 plus today and tomorrow (Easter Sunday) here in western Washington. Cherry trees blossoming, azeala's and rody's in bloom, covers open on both ponds and starting to feed carefully. It just doesn't get any better that this. Happy Easter to all!

Happy Easter to you, Dan ... and everyone. Beautiful tree.

It is still "spring" in central Florida. In 6 weeks the heat will move in. I finally got around to cleaning out my little guppy pond so the ones inside can get moved out. I'm nearly a month behind schedule. Had a surprise. For the first time, guppy fry that were not caught back in October survived the winter. Stunted little things. They went 5 months without feedings. They made do with algae and insect larvae. No good for keeping ... the indoor siblings are matured breeders now. The pump had been pulled in October, so no circulation & a thick layer of leaves had built up. Water was as brown as strong tea, but they stayed warm enough to survive. Past years, the filter was left running to prevent mosquito breeding. The rapid current deters the varmints. I think my laziness saved the guupies from the cold spells. there's a lessopn in all this for koikeepers in cold climes. ... The guppies might have done well enough to keep if I'd had covers like yours.

Comment

Spring!

Some great shots Dan,... thatnks for sharing! I'd like to get a closer look under that lid!

Best Wishes,
      Brady Brandwood

Comment

Dan:

Belated Happy Easter, great shots, love that tree, wish we had um here, good luck with the coming growing season

Aloha! Mike

Comment

Beautiful

Ah...Beautiful summer-like weather!

My relatives in Seattle told me that this year, summer came to the area early.
          Bancherd

Thai Koi-Keepers' Group

Comment

Spring has arrived here too, but call me a pessimist if you like but I'm going to keep those covers on until the end of the month.

English weather is still capable of 3 seasons a day at this time of year.

rgds
            South East Koi Club

Comment

Looking good Dan, looking good! JR

Comment

pretty Dan.... Are you heated? 8)

best regards,

Bob Winkler
                Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
                  Bob - not heated presently but will be soon. Putting together a natural gas tankless water heating system with heat exchanger, very similar to what Steve C. has. Should be operational in about a month. Have all the components - need to build and install.
                  Hey Mike - I wish we had some of your plants over here.
                  Banchard - spring about 3 weeks early this year. Was 82 degrees Easter Sunday - new record. My peach trees usually bloom the week of April 12-15th. This year bloomed 3rd week in March.
                  Brady - closer look under the covers coming soon - just for you.

Comment

Hi Neighbor!
                    So are you gonna show the inside contents of the pond before or after
                    you know what arrives? gotta love it to see "it" and the kohaku together.
                    that little matsukawabake you like from last year's spawn is now all black,
                    the one white shoulder window is only a memory. picked up my bakki shower trays last night. have a full time job trying to fit that size into the inside pond footprint available. might have to do some major remodeling.
                    while I'm thinking about it for those in the Seattle area, Puget Sound Koi does have a booth at the spring fair in puyallup. it opened today and runs thru sunday. i plan to man the booth on saturday so if your around would love to meet you!
                    for those out of the area, I remember some 25 years ago when i moved into the area I pronounced the town where the spring fair is being held- the first time i saw it- as pooey a loop. actually it's pew -wallop! For those who don't know dan
                    he was a biologist with the state and towards the end of his stellar career establsihed our wild turkey program. neat guy to know!
                    Dick Benbow

Comment

Is that program about gobblers, or bottles?

Comment

Gobblers Mike - the feathered kind. But I got to tell ya, that after a long day of trapping an relocating these guys, generally a toast with "Wild Turkey" was appropriate. It was kinda like getting two birds with one stone.

Comment

Trapping & relocating wild turkeys? I am not a hunter myself, but a few of my clients are. We are at the end of our spring gobbler season. Couple of weeks ago I visited a property a client is having some governmental problems with. ... many miles from the nearest tract home, a hard thing to find in central Florida. As we bumped along over palmettos heading into a oak hammock area, a flock of well over a dozen went racing across our path. It was a beautiful sight. Usually only see a few at a time. Client was very upset that no gun had been brought along. We have stringent regulations protecting a multitude of species, but so far turkeys are no where close to being a concern. To the contrary, they seem to be multiplying as a result of feeding stations set up in no-hunting zones.

Comment

In New Jersey, we're hitting them with cars- some things can't be helped! JR

Comment

Mike and JR - wild turkeys are doing extremely well in 49 states, including Hawaii. For years states raised and released game farm reared turkeys without success. The population explosion over the past 20 years is due primarily to the successful trapping and relocating of "wild birds" to areas where they once existed or into new areas with suitable habitat, even in states where they were not native. A really adaptable species. To hear the sound of a wild turkey gobble responding to your imitation of a hen call in the spring and then come to the gun is an experience unlike any other. About as close to nature as one gets.
                              A funny story on myself - Over a period of 22 years while managing the wild turkey priogram here in Washington, I personally handled thousands of birds. This included routinely taking fecal samples and drawing blood for testing from most of these individual birds. not a big deal.
                              When I got into this hobby and had to give my first injection to a smaller koi, I was shaking like a leaf, thought I was going to kill the poor thing - go figure. Twenty five pounds of gobbler vs. 4 or 5 ounces of koi - had a good laugh afterwards.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X