Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanke from Marusaka?

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me more about Marusaka Yorijyo, and the quality of the Sanke they produce?

I'm interested to hear about quality Sanke from the smaller or lesser known farms which some of you may have visited.

Thanks.
    Collis

Hi Collis,

Do you mean Marusada? in Mushigame?

Best Regards,

Bob Winkler
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

I've visited Marusaka several times. He's based in Uttogi, Ojiya-shi.

I've seen several good Sanke there, Connoisseur Koi UK has imported some large ones over the years. They have the Matsunosuke look about them in size and shape.

Apart from the Sanke the other fish that impressed me were his Kujaku. He also bred Kin-ki-utsuri.

He was also breeding Koromo, the larger specimens were impressive but the smaller ones were too hit & miss for me.

rgds BERN
      South East Koi Club

Comment

Marusaka from Uttogi

Hi Bob,
        As Bern rightly pointed out, it's Marusaka from Uttogi. Have you been there?

Bern, thanksabunch for your feedback. I've heard of some good quality Sanke from Marusaka, but haven't seen any specimens myself.

What about Sanke from other farms you have visited? Hoshiyone is another I've heard about. Bought a beautiful kohaku from them last year. Don't know much about their Sanke though.

Thanks again.
        Collis

Comment

Teruo Hiroi

Teruo Hiroi(Marusaka Yorijo) uses Jimbei bloodline for his Sanke. Breeding koi for 54 years. Teruchiyo(father) stabilized the Platinum variety. Best known for Kin Ki Utsuri.
          Mike Pfeffer
          Northern Midwest ZNA show
          June 19 - 20, 2010
          Season's Garden Nursery
          Fishers, IN

Comment

Nope, never been there... though now I may look them up this October. Thnx!

Best regards,

Bob Winkler
            Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

Hi Bob,

It's an interesting place to visit.
              Down the road (and I mean down) from the house there is the conventional type fish house complex you seen a million times before, but up near the hose there's a building which is sort of a cross between a garage and a barn. In there, in ponds that look more like flooded inspection pits are some of his quality koi.

Beware, the guy has a penchant for making that snake sake, where live snakes are kept in bottles of the stuff.

Happy hunting.

rgds BERN
              South East Koi Club

Comment

Colis,

All my koi buying trips have been in Niigata so I can only speak about my experiences there.

To be honest, where Sanke are concerned I tend to be quite blinkered, it's Matsunosuke for me. Therefore I recommend Yamamatsu, Kazuto and Marujyu because they all use the Matsunosuke line.

Others where I have seen Sanke to die for are, Miyaishi, Torazo and Miyatora which I guess are familiar names. The odd man out was Kaneko, more famous for Kujaku, Kumonryu and Shiro Utsuri, however, I saw a particularly beautiful one there.

rgds BERN
                South East Koi Club

Comment

Bern,
                  been across the road from yamamatsu to shintaro? I like his sanke and they are definetly matsunosuke bloodline. Bill Blackburn has done real well in the shows with his stuff. Hasagawa has a few nice sanke in ojiya
                  but is better known for his kohaku.
                  Dick Benbow

Comment

Thanks to all for sharing.

Bern, I'll look up those farms you mentioned. Question - Which part of Niigata are they located (ie Kazuto, Marujyu, Miyaishi, Miyatora)?
                    Collis

Comment

Collis,

Kazuto ====>Mushigame
                      Miyaishi ====>Uragara
                      Kazuto =====>Mushigame
                      Miyatora ====>Araya

If you have a good map (Shobunsha brand) look for the Niigata Prefecture. Then look for a city called Nagaoka then look about 15-20 km south for a smaller city called Ojiya. All of the breeders in the area are just east in the hills.

You didn't say if you had been to Niigata before...If so, sorry for the over kill.

Motown

Comment

Hi Motown,
                        Unfortunately, I haven't been there yet. A local dealer I know travels there 3-4 times a year. I'll have him check out these farms on his next visit.

Thanks for the location references. Very helpful. I found them in the Ojiya area map.
                        Collis

Comment

Hi Collis.
                          Motown missed Marujyu which is also in Mushigame.
                          You can walk more or less in a straight line from Marujyu to Yamamatsu via KaZuto in about 25 mins as long as you don't stop to look at anything on the way. In between there are a number of other distractions and a left turn before Yamamatsu will take you up to Shintaro.

Waddy has always raved about Mushigame, it won't take you 10 minutes to figure out why.

rgds BERN
                          South East Koi Club

Comment

Hi Bern,
                            Motown typed in Kazuto twice, so I figured he meant Marujyu in Mushigame.. Thanks all the same!

Ah yes, Mushigame - home of Matsunosuke Sanke. Got a copy of Waddy's Koi Kichi (waiting eagerly for his next book). I recall he was full of praise of its breeders there. Hope to visit them one day.

Till then, there's always these forums and posted pics to look at... :wink:
                            Collis

Comment

Bern/Collis:

You guessed correctly...I mistyped. I pulled out some old trip notes...And my attention driffed to my notes...I lost a couple of hours that I should have been working outside.

Bern:

I don't want to hear about the poor weather in England, We had snow yesterday(3pm) and 74 degrees today.

Motown

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X