Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A very sad day for me...what's the world coming to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very sad day for me...what's the world coming to?

I received word last night that one of the people responsible for nurturing my interest in ornamental fish was murdered. He was the victim of a failed robbery attempt at his shop, suffering a gunshot to the chest at the hands of one of the would-be robbers. Managing to hang on to his life for 11 days, he finally passed away this Saturday.

Perhaps the world won't remember Kenneth Tull, as he only ran a small aquarium shop in a very small corner of the area in which I grew up. I'll always remember him, however, because of the amount of time he volunteered coaching me along in fishkeeping. An uncle of mine had originally taken me there while I was still a school kid, but I always begged to be taken back by family members, so I could look at this man's clean tanks and healthy fish. He was one of the few people in the business that I met that would give a kid a bit of his busy time, with nothing less than the enthusiasm that he showed the "grown-up" customers.

I don't think that he ever made grand sums of money with his business, and I don't think that bothered him. Fame was something that probably never followed him too far outside of his own little enclave, but I know that never bothered him. Two thoughtless and self-possessed little bastards thought more of what little money they may have gotten from Tull's register than they did of the life of a wonderful man, who'll never do the things that he so loved to do ever again...and that bothers me.

There's not much else that I can say. Suppose the only thing to say is that I'm shocked with how cheap life has become in this world, and saddened that one of the people that got me started on the road to koi keeping had his own life snuffed out.

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjo...reownersh.html
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Brian - I'm saddened to hear of the loss of your good friend. It is a shame that events like this are commonplace in today's world. I only hope you take comfort in the fact that I'm sure he cherished his relationship with you as much as you did with him, and that you were fortunate to be part of each other's life.

Comment

Brian,
      Sorry to hear of the loss of a friend. it sounds like he lived his life with all the qualities others could look up to and hopefully emulate.
      Word of this kind encourages us all to live our life each day at a time. To be grateful for, an respectful of; the gift of life.
      My hope for you is to treasure your memories of your friend and try and pass along the same kindness to others. I do believe you have done that with your magazine. It that way it shares a part of that gift of knowledge to others as he shared his with you!
      Perhaps in the next edition you could run a memorial and dedicate it to his memory.
      Thank-you for sharing his story with us. it seems fitting that you did on this board ,as this board is all about sharing ..... I think he would have like that!
      Dick Benbow

Comment

Brian, at times like these there is nothing anyone can say that can take away the pain. You just have to do it natures way and grieve.

The only crumb of comfort I can offer is that one day the pain recedes and is replaced by the happy memories.

Condolensces

Bern
        South East Koi Club

Comment

Brian, a successful life no doubt. Like any good teacher, look how he has influenced you. One glimpse of his world and you were hooked. A comment, a lesson, an epiphany. And now you provide a vehicle that teaches others. What better testimonial to a man can there be? Peace
          JR

Comment

Brian,

So sorry to hear of your loss. I echo the words above. No words are enough though, and passing on the lessons and excitement is something you have learned well. Keep on keepin' on.
            Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

so sorry to hear the loss of a friend.
              may many grew up kids from those time should remember all good things he'd done.
              life is too short and sometime too cheap.
              do not give up to do good things.

Comment

Brian,
                When I checked back to catch the other messages of support to you for your friend, I marveled at the way the world was represented by caring people who took time to leave thier condolences. Thailand, The UK, America....pretty encouraging, that your friend has touched people outside
                his original home. I know there were many who read your post, mourned for the loss of a good person in this world and then found it difficult to express it in words. But in thier hearts they cared for you and your friend. I hope the thread that was carried throughout all the notes
                left to cheer you up does encourage you to only focus on the good things!
                Dick Benbow

Comment

Dear Mr. Sousa;
                  God works in a mysterious way. He created a great man but only to lend him to us for a very short time. I pray for your friend to forever rest in peace.

Comment

Brian---
                    I'm so sorry for your loss, my condolences.
                    A man remembered by his friends, is truly immortal.
                    Werner

Pond-On (tm)

Comment

Hi Brian,
                      How sad and senseless. I believe that we reap what we sow sooner or later and that goes for both good and evil.
                      I'm sure he would have been proud of what you are doing.
                      Ruth

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend Brian. Life takes strange turns sometimes and it's always fair.

For what it's worth it looks like they may have the guy who did it.

B.Scott
                        Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

Thanks for the outpouring folks. I don't want to give the impression that Mr. Tull and I were the best of friends, but he did have an indelible impact on my life with regards to koi.

It really gives me a bad feeling in the bottom of my gut when I think about the way in which this man who gave me so much of his time departed this world. As most of you had said, I suppose you just appreciate the time you had and continue on with your life. I hope to be able to put something in the next issue commemorating his life and the impact he had on me.

Thanks again for all the kind words.
                          Brian Sousa
                          Koi-Bito Forum

Comment

Brian,

Terribly sorry to hear of this. You have made a great eulogy for a a man whose passion for his hobby and bussiness must have been a great inspiration to many. Great mentors are truely important, especially for the young.

Continuing on with your life as an educator and promoter of our hobby will in itslef keep some of Mr. Tull's passion and sprit alive.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                            Working...
                            X