Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is how I accidentally get rid off secondary hi

Hi everyone,

I was using the hi silk 21 for one month on the shiro (see other thread about the shiro) and put a tank mate of kohaku. This kohaku was purchased at the same time with the shiro July '04. It did not have secondary when I purchased it. The hi start to show up at the beginning of '05.
    The 1st pic was taken April '05 with the secondary hi.

The 2nd pic was taken December '05 the secondary hi was totally gone!

How did it happen? It is the hi silk 21! It is that simple!

John
    Attached Files

What were you feeding before?

Comment

Glad that worked for you. I have a kohaku I fed Hi Silk 21 to and the secondary came up! I'm guessing it has more to do with genes or water conditions then food. Here is a pic from the spring and one from the fall. Notice how the hi filled in on the nose.

Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

Wow, JNorth!!!!

did that happen in one season or did that take some time to grow over the head into the deeper red like that!!!??????

May I ask also what is that "hump" over the head/shoulder area?.... is that customary?....

Adreamer2
        Adreamer2,
        gmcfayden,
        N2Koi
        -----------
        Alas, I have found my feat.. and am about to run!

Comment

Originally posted by adreamer2
          Wow, JNorth!!!!

did that happen in one season or did that take some time to grow over the head into the deeper red like that!!!??????

May I ask also what is that "hump" over the head/shoulder area?.... is that customary?....

Adreamer2
          That happened in a 6 month period. It went from 8" to 17" in that time. That koi is part of the koiphen growout contest. That hump is from growing so fast. The head will catch up later (I hope).
          Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

Geez-oh-man, what did you feed that monster!!!! ........ That is fantastic.... Is it possible to breed that creature or do you still have to wait some years?.....

adreamer2
            Adreamer2,
            gmcfayden,
            N2Koi
            -----------
            Alas, I have found my feat.. and am about to run!

Comment

Mike - I feed them Ogata regular. Hi silk 21 is a supplemental food only.
              Jnorth - you got excellent growth from your kohaku. your koi also has the secondary hi on the odom.

John

Comment

clarification please

I always thought that secondary hi was weaker or poor quality hi that occasionally shows up on kohaku and sanke. I saw a fish that was described to have secondary hi in a dealers and you could see a noticable difference in the quality and depth of the secondary hi vs. the original pattern.

It's hard to tell because of the darkness of the picture but the secondary hi on Jim's grow-out kohaku seems to be of the same shade as that of the original pattern.

Can someone help clarifiy what the term "secondary hi" means. Thanks.

-Dan

Comment

I slipped on the ice a few nights ago and cause secondary sumi to rise on my hip! The next day, early in the morning, I also slipped- but I did not bruise.
                  Therefore I have a theory:

* you can slip on ice in the day or at night, but only 'nightfalling' causes secondary bruising of the hip!

Comment

Originally posted by James P
                    I slipped on the ice a few nights ago and cause secondary sumi to rise on my hip! The next day, early in the morning, I also slipped- but I did not bruise.
                    Therefore I have a theory:

* you can slip on ice in the day or at night, but only 'nightfalling' causes secondary bruising of the hip!

LOL. Been wondering where you were, now we know, playing ice hockey!

Comment

JR - I was thinking the same thing, in a slightly less sarcastic tone

I'm no koi expert - but I see a lot of people claiming these direct cause and effect relationships that just don't exist. A koi pond is a complex system, with a whole LOT of variables interacting - you really need to do extensive testing to rule out something like this being a simple cooincidence.

Comment

Did you break or seriously hurt anything JR?

Anyone else have a secondary problem they relate to hi silk?
                        'Sometimes it take a talking donkey to turn things around in the right direction, ask Balaam."

Comment

Originally posted by junglegeorge12
                          Anyone else have a secondary problem they relate to hi silk?
                          I don't relate that to Hi Silk. Just thought it was worth mentioning that the exact opposite happened in my case with the same food. I believe it to be genes and water quality.
                          Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

That kohaku looks like its gonna go white just like your Shiro did...... Meethinks tho hast a water problem.

Comment

Greg,

The water parameters are fine.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate-I seldom test, when I tested it is little nitrate(I forgot the number, it is the second color on the sheet). KH is 2 drops but I add little bit of baking soda to get to 4 drops. PH is rock solid 7.7-7.8. People said when adding baking soda the ph will raise to 8.3-8.4. Mine never get to that point.

John

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X