Biological filtration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biological filtration

Hello all you thinkers out there! I’ve just gone through the “Free DIY floading bead filter parts “with great interest as usually.

I can’t stop wondering when my bacteria notice that it has left the filter and should stop transforming (performing). It feels funny but I often get marvellous readings when I turbo charge the filter. This is done with bleeding in from 50mm pipe in biological start section and accepting really low water levels in these chambers. Is then taking +2 x 10 t/h through filters that is designed (old thumb rules) for max 10 t/h.

PS! One 110mm is used normal to this filter set.

Same do occur around this time every year in regard to flow through water change. As we move our dear ones indoors we have a rather high flow through. We are now moving up to local indoors summer and have past 21°C (will stabilise and hold for 8-12 weeks) at 26-28°C) We have after trial and error found that optimum removal and conditions when filter is in good order is at relatively low follow-through? This is specially evident indoors as we normally have basis feed of shrimp and salmon (only reduced weight of feed) in the cold period until fairly high temperatures are maintain (~22-23°C).

Thoughts, input & and “harassment” are welcome as brain food in this limbo time.
    Tone - Truls -Petter
    Vogata NI

HI Petter! Haven't seen you in a while. You doing OK?

B.SCott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

The nitrifiers seem to still be able to function when they are swept off the attachment surface. Some French guys described a shrimp production system where the nitrifying bacteria population existed primarily as a suspended floc. The floc particles contained all sorts of living things besides bacteria and it was kept in suspension by heavy aeration and water flow. I do not think the nitrifying bacteria are lost or cease functioning until they settle out, are covered by other debris, and become surrounded by anoxic conditions.

When you turbo wash, you probably sweep the outer layer of bacteria off of the attachment surface and expose other nitrifiers which where living below them. This may result in more bacteria being exposed to the water for a short while and increased nitrification.

Comment

Hello Scott

Been almost buried in work as usually, have tried to stay on in a reading sense. Since my job keeps the COMP (not mentioned in a friendly way) on almost all the time and I write “really hard” given any language its been all I could handle without taking a downwards leap. Have been back and forth Turkey and have had some major pains running simultaneously her back home.

By the way all is well and we are steadily talking to more and more new bees. Uncompromising as ever, just lure them in after a string of normal pet shops than get our fangs in them and pump a couple of hours in “by the pond” cocktail. Some times it works instantly and others go for months before they resurface. After some trail and error we are getting better at it now.

By the way did you ever get your but down to Meckenheim?
        Tone - Truls -Petter
        Vogata NI

Comment

Hello bekko and thanks for the replay

Do you know if the “guy” has tried out something like this for him self (Nishikigoi)?

This was put out somewhat like a teaser to get up the some response and see what the high end of Nishikigoi thought about and around this.

We have (one of three) fallen for the logic around it and considers the biological stage more like a seeding tank than a filter unit. Can’t help remembering the dimension of bacteria and targets we have defined for them.

It comes down to something like this: high surface and O2 for production – high share movement (way not helped by air) for maximal reproduction- mix and movement to get the offenders closer to our helpers – around we go again…….

This could be described in a more scientific way, but it doesn’t alter the thought that gives a sensible explanation to different “approved” good medias and filter types. It also backs all our trails and unexpected observations.

Please feel free to fire at will, where are all you good shooters gone these days?
          Tone - Truls -Petter
          Vogata NI

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
          Working...
          X