X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fading Hi

Let's see if I can post a pic
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-11-2004, 12:50 PM. Reason: add pic

Every summer I grow up a few tosai for the fun of seeing what happens. This summer there are two Sanke that I'm paying particular attention to because they are part of a ZNA Southern Koi Ass'n project. These two are proving very interesting. The inazuma-type pattern looked great at around 4 inches and I was very pleased to get it by luck of the draw. The red-headed one is a sibling, and I do not care for the pattern at all.

The inazuma, however, is really just the effect of fading hi. Over the past two months these little guys have about doubled in length to around 8 inches. The red-head has had her hi become richer in depth, while at the same time stretching. But the inazuma is fading one scale at a time.

A close-up:
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-11-2004, 12:51 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

You can see the difference in comparing the look of the hi between the two.
      Last edited by MikeM; 10-11-2004, 12:54 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

The hi was fading at a greater rate during May and early June. It has slowed down, giving the impression that it had stopped fading. But, when I bowled them up last week, it was clear that the fading was continuing, just slowing.

Brett pointed out the "kanoko-effect" in a recent post. Now I've seen it up close. In the future I'll know never to buy a fish with that sort of fringe around the edge of the hi. In the meantime, I'm hoping I'll end up with a tancho sanke, but I'm predicting a Bekko with a decent pattern. :roll:

Comment

Erased because a duplicate post
          Last edited by MikeM; 10-11-2004, 12:56 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Comment

How did that happen???????

Comment

Is there a redder center stripe on the scales? I think I see that. Maybe she is just stretching.

Comment

Fadding beni

I bought three Kohaku a few years back. One is a ginrin shiro muji at this point. The other is all white at a glance but upon careful inspection there is a small amount of what use to be beni but now is just little pink in color. The third has the best beni in the pond. The color is closer to a true red rather than orange colored.

I attribute the loss of my beni to low grade fish. I have also heard that certain water conditions contribute to loss of beni, but help with the sumi development.

Comment

SMG: There is a darker area in each scale, but it is fuzzy and a bit brownish. The red-headed one does have a more sharply defined growth line in the red scales.

But, if the fading stops altogether, I'll certainly be happy. These are Matsunosuke bloodline.

Comment

TS&M must be leaning toward a persimmony beni from the looks of these fish.
                    I'll lean with fade, as opposed to stretch.
                    Sometimes they just plain lose it, Mike.
                    There's allot of Bekko out there and they aren't specifically bred by any breeder that I know of.
                    Damn shame... Nice pattern.
                    Keep waiting, of course.

Comment

How big are the pellets you are feeding them and what kind? The reason why I ask is because large pellets make tosai's short and stubby.
                      The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori
                        How big are the pellets you are feeding them and what kind? The reason why I ask is because large pellets make tosai's short and stubby.
                        Hmm......any particular explanation why pellet size should have this effect?
                        Bancherd

Thai Koi-Keepers' Group

Comment

Maybe Not Fading After All??

Well, several weeks have gone by since the pictures above were taken. Here is the little fellow today, now over 11".
                          Last edited by MikeM; 10-11-2004, 12:58 PM. Reason: add pic

Comment

A few isolated scales that had weak Hi in July are now white, but no significant loss of Hi since then. He is growing well, and despite that the Hi is more intense now than 6 weeks ago. It is not the solid, deep Hi I would like to see, but I'm starting to think that SMG's instincts were right. Maybe the Hi has stopped fading. Hope so. I like inazuma patterns.

Comment

What is the temp of the pond these fish are being reared in? How much shade does the pond have? What is the feed you are feeding?
                              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X