Sakai Co Senbetsu as presented by Mike Snaden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sakai Co Senbetsu as presented by Mike Snaden

My long time friend Mike Snaden is now based out of Hiroshima and fulfilling a lifelong dream of being on the ground year-round to hunt and witness the creation & development of high-quality koi.

He was recently at Sakai Co. to observe and interview them during the culling (senbetsu) of kohaku and Ginrin Showa fry.

Mike and I will be working together going forward to bring high-quality koi into the East Coast of the US later this year and throughout Spring of the next.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Miyabi Koi Farm[/B]

Very interesting.... quite a venture (and adventure) for Snaden. I look forward to hearing more.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
      Very interesting.... quite a venture (and adventure) for Snaden. I look forward to hearing more.
      Be prepared to get what you wished for then!

I spoke with Mike today and he's agreed to an interview with me concerning his plans going forward, the state of the koi industry, and what he expects from the Fall harvest.

If you have any questions you'd like me to ask, please send me a direct message so as not to ruin the surprise for everyone else.
      Brian Sousa
      Koi-Bito Forum

Miyabi Koi Farm[/B]

Comment

I have to wonder if all the usual dealers and customers will go to Ikeage if they have to do 2 weeks QT on arrival. Maybe also smaller crowd at All Japan Koi.
        Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

Originally posted by MCA View Post
          I have to wonder if all the usual dealers and customers will go to Ikeage if they have to do 2 weeks QT on arrival. Maybe also smaller crowd at All Japan Koi.
          I would expect foreign attendance at Ikeage to be down considerably and the AJKS as well. The latter is a bit further down the road, but is during peak flu season so time will tell.

2 weeks quarantine is a considerable expense, likely around $2,000 just for accommodation and meals alone. Then there's the boredom factor in being cooped up for 2 weeks. Mike made it over a few months ago and beat the quarantine requirement, so he'll probably be in attendance at most of the auctions.
          Brian Sousa
          Koi-Bito Forum

Miyabi Koi Farm[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
            Mike published a video today to explain his plans for this season in his own words:

Last edited by Brian; 2 weeks ago.
            Brian Sousa
            Koi-Bito Forum

Miyabi Koi Farm[/B]

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
            Working...
            X