Extreme cold temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme cold temps

I will be moving to northern New Hampshire from So. California, finally! The only thing holding me in this crowded place are my beloved koi. I need advice about building a pond, if it's even possible, in a place with long and extreme winters. The temps can be sustained sub-zero F temps. I do not know of anyone who has a koi pond in the area and would appreciate advice from cold-climate koi keepers. thank you.

That's a dramatic change! From one corner of the country to the opposite in about every way.... warm, dry, sunny & crowded to cold, snowy, gray and sparse.

Offhand I cannot think of a koikeeper in NH, but I'm sure there are several. I know koikeepers in Canada and Minnesota, so why would NH get left out? While there is lots of info on koikeeping in true 4-season climates in all the standard books, I think it best for you to talk with someone who has been successful in the region where you are moving.... or as nearby as feasible. To find such folks these days, I'd turn to FB. Try the Koi Keepers of North America group.

BTW, my impression from reading posts of 'way North' koikeepers over the years is that I'd not enjoy the hobby nearly so much with the koi either in a winter-facility in the basement, or under a plastic cover outdoors for half the year. I think I would need to have the pond in a greenhouse so I could really enjoy the koi year-round. Otherwise, I think I just might be tempted to give up on koi and keep fancy goldfish and tropicals in that basement.

GOOD LUCK !!

Comment

Thanks for the reply MikeM. Yes, I would like to talk to someone directly who lives in a cold climate and visit their pond. I'll check out FB. I've lived 6 months of the year in NH and winter is my favorite season (winter sports are fun!) and I can hardly wait to get out of crowded So Cal every time I go. But, I do worry I'd inadvertently kill my koi, somehow. It wouldn't take much there. Lots to think about. But it would be very hard to leave them behind too.

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
      That's a dramatic change! From one corner of the country to the opposite in about every way.... warm, dry, sunny & crowded to cold, snowy, gray and sparse.

Offhand I cannot think of a koikeeper in NH, but I'm sure there are several. I know koikeepers in Canada and Minnesota, so why would NH get left out? While there is lots of info on koikeeping in true 4-season climates in all the standard books, I think it best for you to talk with someone who has been successful in the region where you are moving.... or as nearby as feasible. To find such folks these days, I'd turn to FB. Try the Koi Keepers of North America group.

BTW, my impression from reading posts of 'way North' koikeepers over the years is that I'd not enjoy the hobby nearly so much with the koi either in a winter-facility in the basement, or under a plastic cover outdoors for half the year. I think I would need to have the pond in a greenhouse so I could really enjoy the koi year-round. Otherwise, I think I just might be tempted to give up on koi and keep fancy goldfish and tropicals in that basement.

GOOD LUCK !!

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
      Working...
      X