Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carp Pox and its transmission Control

Hello Guys,

It seems Carp pox (CyHv-1)like Koi Herpes Virus will be transmitted by the egg (or Sperm) to siblings. Does anyone have an Idea about the disinfection in the egg and larvae stage?

Regards

Reza, good to see you are still working with koi. There are some commercially available egg disinfectants used in commercial aquaculture. These are supposed to be effective against viruses. Two brand names are Buffodine and Ovadine. I am sure there must be more produced around the world. As I understand it, both use iodine as the effective ingredient. These types of products may not be available to you. I recall reading articles some years ago about using a buffered iodine solution to disinfect fish eggs prior to hatching. I do not recall where I found the articles. (And, I am unsure whether it was effective for the virus that causes carp pox.) I think most fish egg disinfectants are used to protect against bacteria and fungus, rather than specifically for viral diseases, but Buffodine and Ovadine are promoted as being effective against viruses.

Sorry I cannot give you more information. Perhaps searching for iodine solutions used to disinfect in aquaculture will give you some formulation you can use to make your own version.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
      Reza, good to see you are still working with koi. There are some commercially available egg disinfectants used in commercial aquaculture. These are supposed to be effective against viruses. Two brand names are Buffodine and Ovadine. I am sure there must be more produced around the world. As I understand it, both use iodine as the effective ingredient. These types of products may not be available to you. I recall reading articles some years ago about using a buffered iodine solution to disinfect fish eggs prior to hatching. I do not recall where I found the articles. (And, I am unsure whether it was effective for the virus that causes carp pox.) I think most fish egg disinfectants are used to protect against bacteria and fungus, rather than specifically for viral diseases, but Buffodine and Ovadine are promoted as being effective against viruses.

Sorry I cannot give you more information. Perhaps searching for iodine solutions used to disinfect in aquaculture will give you some formulation you can use to make your own version.

Good luck!
      Dear MikeM, Thank you so much actually it is over 18 months that koi is my full-time business and on a koi breeding farm with my friends.

We don't know where Carp Pox introduced to Farm but we have it in some parents and many offsprings. We can not hire new parents. Still, koi are disallowed to import to Iran. so we had to use our parents to breed koi.
      For over a year we all (even vets) thought it is papillomavirus that causes them. But recently we find that those hard lesions are Carp Pox and we all were wrong(this was the vets' fault and unfortunately we trust them and accept it). In severe cases develop bloody lesions exactly like pappilomas.

Anyway, we had to find a way to control it. it is part of us and we had to learn how to deal with that.

we get several advices about using MB and MG or PP but I don't believe that they become useful in the eggs and larvae stage. In literature, I find Iodophor for KHV disinfection was effective

Please check the the following link:

https://www.oie.int/fileadmin/Home/e...erpesvirus.pdf

Regards.
      Reza

Comment

Congratulations on your venture! I love to see koikeeping spread everywhere.

A stabilized iodine solution seems to be the most effective approach for viruses. I'm wishing you the best of luck in overcoming the pox.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
        Working...
        X