PP treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PP treatment

Hi, I’m after some info. I have an 14,200 litre pond. The last week or so, I’ve noticed a few fish flashing. Did a scrape and found trichodina. I’ve done a PP treatment before, which worked very well. This time though, when I add the PP the water goes brown straight away. The pond is clean, no debris at all. I added 21.5 grams of pp first go, then ten minutes later another 21.5 grams and still the same, so added another 25 grams and STILL the water goes brown. My question is, does pp work at temperatures lower than 10 degrees? Thanks

Hello Fshyphl,

To answer your question, PP does work in temps below 10C (50F) but will oxidize more slowly. If your initial dose of 21.5g (which should be 1.5ppm for your pond size) immediately went brown, then there has to be a reason why. Did you bypass your filter during treatment or did you cycle through it?
    Last edited by Brian; 4 weeks ago.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi Bito Forum

Comment

Hi Brian, thanks for the reply.
      I ran it through the nexus filter as well, as trichodena is free swimming and would be in the filter too. No uv on either.
      most of my fish are flashing. Was going to try malachite Green and formalin but that can’t be used below 11 degrees. My temp at the moment is 9 degrees.

Comment

So it could be that it's oxidizing biomass in the filters and pipework, but that still seems too quick especially at those temps. Have you used anything in the pond that might be deactivating the PP or have you dosed and used hydrogen peroxide in the past couple of days to neutralize?

With the amount of PP you used, you've approached the 4ppm mark so something is definitely getting oxidized. I'd be careful about adding anymore PP until you've determined what's causing it to become spent so quickly.
        Brian Sousa
        Koi Bito Forum

Comment

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️ I don’t use a dechlorinator. Every time I clean the nexus, I top up and throw 4/5 tablespoons of sodium Thiosulphate in the pond to take the chlorine out. It has to be that. Any idea how long the Thiosulphate lasts ? (Can’t believe I didn’t think of that), then again, I’m getting old ??.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
          Working...
          X