any bonsai fanatics out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any bonsai fanatics out there?

Over the last 25 years Koi has pretty much monopolized my time. But last year I got interested in bonsai and aquired a few satsuki azealas. This spring I was paid back for my hard work with a glorious display of color. I tore out a section of a laurel hedge adjacent to my japanese garden and pond and put in a bonsai exhibit area, complete with pedistal display posts and graveled display area with benches. Now I've become smitten with pines and have aquired a nice mugho (40 yrs old) and a nice black pine ( about 10 ).
    I don't find bonsai chat lines so i'm looking for some long time bonsai nuts that I might communicate with, for the purpose of learning. I've been pretty luck to run across Mark Cooper of the UK but I'm afraid I'm wearing him out with all my emails! So anyone who has the patience and doesn't mind being bombared with emails PLEASE respond! Oregato!
    Dick Benbow

Re: any bonsai fanatics out there?

Originally posted by dick benbow
    Over the last 25 years Koi has pretty much monopolized my time. But last year I got interested in bonsai and aquired a few satsuki azealas. This spring I was paid back for my hard work with a glorious display of color. I tore out a section of a laurel hedge adjacent to my japanese garden and pond and put in a bonsai exhibit area, complete with pedistal display posts and graveled display area with benches. Now I've become smitten with pines and have aquired a nice mugho (40 yrs old) and a nice black pine ( about 10 ).
    I don't find bonsai chat lines so i'm looking for some long time bonsai nuts that I might communicate with, for the purpose of learning. I've been pretty luck to run across Mark Cooper of the UK but I'm afraid I'm wearing him out with all my emails! So anyone who has the patience and doesn't mind being bombared with emails PLEASE respond! Oregato!
    Dick, I'm gonna forward this to who I consider the Bonzzai King.
    He has been all over the world collecting these.. Japan twice..Evergladez, S America etc.. before he became Koi Kichi.
    He is 55-56 and his dad started it in the 1940"z.
    WHAT A COLLECTION
    Cypress, bottlebrush, bouganvilla and ?????????... Driftwood with grafted on Juniperz.. which is the BEST way to go.. according to him.. here at least...

Comment

Thanks Doug, very much. sounds like a good guy I could learn from!
      Dick Benbow

Comment

You may find some people with some knowledge on this Forum:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/bonsai/

The pond/fish forum there is mostly water gardening, however I know nothing of Bonsai (other than it means "Little Tree") so I have no idea as to the quality of the information there.

Comment

Theron,
          Thanks, I looked into it and it might work for now. Appreciate it!
          Dick Benbow

Comment

Dick I enjoy bonsai too. I have a few interesting ones in my fields I will have to take some pics of them. I started them myself one is about 30 yrs old a Scots Pine and the other is younger a Siberian Larch I have some small ones in containers that grow well in the house. I saw some great displays in Germany Frankfurt and in Lugano Switzerland last winter they made my mouth water. Post some pics I will do the same.
            The perfect koi is always one purchase or spawning away!

Comment

I would love to see photos of your trees. Especially the Scots! It's my favorite tree! You think I can find one around here!?

it's all one gallon stuff and about 2-3 years old. My favorite author is Dan barton and peter d adams. All their stuff ( they're from thre UK ) is out of print and costly. I did just find peter's maple book in canada and got it ordered yesterday.

Thanks for responding!
              Dick Benbow

Comment

Dick another interesting tree I have is the mugo pine they are extremely hardy don't grow too big usually and they get very distorted. I have to experiment more with root pruning. I try to grow thing that are very hardy mugo are rated for zone 2 and we are that sometimes. I have some over 20 years that are struggling and perfect for the use. I just came back from a alpine trip and there is some great stuff up there. Lessons is nature's torture and growing that we can build into the bonsai
                The perfect koi is always one purchase or spawning away!

Comment

Dick:

Here you go: http://www.fukubonsai.com/2a4.html

The Dr. Horace Clay is the individual that brought the 200 year old Bonsai plant from Japan to America as a gift from Emperor Hirohito to the USA as a birthday gift on the 200 anniversary of our independence...

There are some interesting links on the care of the plants...

Aloha! Mike

Comment

Best Bonsai I ever saw

rgds Bern
                    South East Koi Club

Comment

Thank-you Mike, thank-you Bern

Always interesting to see what other's are doing. It's like koi really. Until I went to the all Japan Show to understand what koi could be, I had no idea although i had been to many area shows.

Same with Bonsai, unless you see the best of the best, you have no idea of what is possible.

I have aquired some books i am studying by Barton and Adams both from the UK. Great teachers. All of my stuff is from nursery stock. It's ok
                      probably "pond quality" if compared with koi. But like koi you have to care for bonsai till you can get comfortable enough to get into the show stuff without fear of killing hundred year old trees. Close as I can figure I have a mugho that's all of 40 years.
                      I think koi and bonsai go together quite well.
                      Just got back from setting up the show for this weekend. Gotta go back friday at 3 to start benching. Got to go thru a shipment of Daiinichi showas
                      and omosako shiros. Picked one tosai out of each group and slipped them into the grow pond.
                      Will take pics Saturday and get photos to jason on sunday. he should be able to get them posted no later than mid week. Am anticipating about 73 koi down from over 100 last year. let's see how close I come! (lol)
                      Dick Benbow

Comment

I'm always interested in learning something new and am amazed at the similarities bewteen koi and bonsai.

Like good collections of fish, the better and fewer the numbers serve to allow the keeper time to do the individual attention needed to keep a good collection going.

as a breeder of koi I like to originate koi by selecting the parents and developing the young. In bonsai there are those that take nursery stock and create a bonsai.

there are also koi keepers who buy the best finished koi and sustain them thru immaculate care. same with bonsai.

when I started in koi, I got on a fast study track and spent time with those that won at the shows. I'm trying to duplicate that in bonsai.

Thanks to my teacher Mark Cooper for helping me to learn.

for koi keepers out there, watch Mike M who posts on this board. I see the traits of someone up and coming......in koi.
                        Dick Benbow

Comment

Bonsai

Hey Dick,
                          You can email me also. Been growing bonsai for years. What you need is white pine, king of bonsai. Sure wish I could grow them here, however they must have a cold winter to live. I know cause I try one in Miami area, toast. Black pine does ok here. What you also need is Japanese maple bonsai, again need cold winter for it to rebloom. Can grow trident maple here, but Japanese maple, forget it, to hot. Oh well take the good with the bad. Hey I can grow my koi all year around! As a matter of fact, a Momotaro 6 inch koi I got in April is now 15 inches. Double in size less than 6 months, amazing!
                          sigpic

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                          Working...
                          X