Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamato-nishiki

Hi,
    does anybody know any Japanese breeder that produce yamato-nishiki?
    Thanks.
    SF

Hi SF,

Oya Yoshokujo (Tetsutaro Kataoka) in Asahi, Saito Yorijo (Hiroei Saito) in Mushigame, Iwaguro Yorijo (Hachiro Iwaguro) in Hiroshima just to name some. Some of the larger-scale breeders may do them as a sideline as well.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Comment

Hi Brian,
      Thanks for the info. I find them very attractive. One of my local koi farm
      dealer is going to Japan soon. I'll ask him to get a couple for me.
      Is it because of the complexity of producing this variety which is why
      it is not being widely breed??

SF

Comment

Hi Brian,

I have a question about breeders, too.

In one of my book, I read about a breeder called Tadao Yoshioka, he lives in Toyoma

According to this book, he breeds, in my opinion, very interesting varieties.

For example

Zuiun

Raigo

Kinshu

Enyu

Hakushu

Do you know him and/or this varieties?

Or anyone else?

Is it aable to buy koi of this variety?

Greetz Nico
        www.lordicon.de

Comment

What is the yamato-nishiki by the way????
          TK
          :roll:

Comment

Hi Nico,

Would that book be "Live Jewels - a survey of fancy carp"?

That book must be 30 years old or more. Some of those varieties seemed to be on-off crosses between to other varieties.

rgds Bern
            South East Koi Club

Comment

Hi Bern,

No it's out of a German Book called "Nishikigoi-Taikan". It's from the KLAN, the German Koi Club.

Do anyone else know something about this varieties, especially if it is able to buy them by any breeder.

@tategoikohaku:

A yamato-nishiki is a metallic Sanke.

Greetz Nico
              www.lordicon.de

Comment

Hi TK,

A Yamato-nishiki is koi with colored patterns over a metallic base. Normally sanshoku. Just imagine a sanke with platinum sheen base,dark hi & clear sumi. Very exciting combination!

SF

Comment

In Most higher education marketing classes, the study is to find words other than "new" or " Improved" to put on a product to get consumers to re-look at their purchasing.

Koi breeders, are producers and subject to the same marketing principles.
                  Many times in pond grade shipments at the wholesalers level, I'll run across what I call "oddballs" that you can piece together what was tryed
                  as a cross ,to develop something New. It may just click or it may take generations to refine.

Next year, my 4th year as a backyard breeder, I will partially venture away from tradtional breeding and venture off on a tangent myself to develop a kawarigoi that i have had in my mind and heart for a long time. It may pan out and it may not. But I am determined to try.

People are always looking for something new, cars ,homes ,clothes, koi.
                  It will be fun to see what happens.

I ran it by the judges that were here at our show this past weekend and got a positive response, so I'm encouraged. My second place gin rin shiro will be the dad! ( he got beat because he made it into the size by 1/4 of an inch and the winner was at the other end of the scale) We'll talk again next spring!
                  Dick Benbow

Comment

Hi swordfish ,
                    Thanks for your explanation. Is that called a Grinrin Sanke?
                    thanks
                    TK

Comment

Hi Dick,
                      Must be very exciting to create a new variety of koi of your own in your mind. Will fail many times as usual like those Japanese breeders but all it takes is 1 successfull production to bring you to cloud nine.
                      Wish you success in advance.

Hi TK,
                      No, metallic is difference from Ginrin sanke. Ginrin scales as you know have a sparkling deposite over all or part of the scales surface.
                      Yamato-nishiki is not only metallic & are restricted to the base color. The Hi & sumi colored pattern are not metallic.
                      I have attached a picture for your reference. Thanks.

SF

Comment

swordfish,
                        Thanks for the pics. It helped me understand the term Yamato-nishiki now.
                        regards,
                        TK

Comment

HI Nico,

I have seen the book, but my lack of another language meant I could only look at the pictures. I saw it on the KLAN stand at Arcen last year.

My koi club will be having a stand at Arcen next door to the KLAN one, so I will have another look to see if the pictures are the same as those in Living Jewels.

rgds BERN
                          South East Koi Club

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                          Working...
                          X