This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russell Water Gardens and Kodama Koi Farm Pair Up /Merged Thread

edit by mod-This thread has been merged with another thread so as you read through it some of the posts might not make sense or seem out of place.

I noticed this link over on *******: http://www.ippca.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=949

Seems these two are pairing up in an attempt to dominate the industry. The chain store mentality strikes another industry.
    Mitch

"Greetings all,

Sorry I missed InfoTanza this year. I, along with members of my staff and team members were in Hawaii attending the Grand Opening of the Kodama Koi Farm and the Japan Nishikigoi Expo. (No beach or golfing time.....we worked the entire time!)

Writers for several industry magazines were there covering the event - and you'll be able to read about it in up coming issues.......but I'll "let the cat out of the bag" as to what really big news happened.

At the Expo it was publicly, and formally announced that Kodama Koi Farm and Russell Watergardens are entering a joint-venture partnership in the Russell Watergardens Franchise Corporation that is being funded in part by Tsunami Partners - a Tokyo based venture capital firm.

The owner of Kodama Koi Farm is Mr. Mamoru Kodama - a world renowned Nishikigoi expert, highly respected author, Associate Editor of Koi USA Magazine, koi judge, and Director of the International Nishikigoi Promotion Center. (INPC). The Kodama Koi Farm is run by Mr. Mamoru's son Taro Kodama - who created Japan Koi Online.

The partnership of Russell Watergardens and Kodama Koi Farm into the Russell Watergardens Franchise Corporation will expand to all 50 states starting in early 2007.

The Russell Watergardens / Kodama Koi Farm partnership is the world's first and only partnership of its kind - the joining of the water gardening and koi industries under one umbrella.

Mr. Mamoru Kodama personally approves and endorses each and every component manufactured by, and for, Russell Watergardens for the utmost in quality, workmanship, function, ease of maintenance, water quality, and Nishikigoi health and well being.

The Russell Watergardens / Kodama Koi Farm partnership is being referred as the industry's first "Hardware & Software" partnership - combining Russell Watergardens' filtration systems with Kodama Koi Farm's Nishikigoi.

The Russell Watergardens expansion program is scheduled for early 2007.

Sincerely,
    John Russell
    Russell Watergardens
    Last edited by Brian; 11-05-2008, 03:51 AM.

Originally posted by dizzyfish View Post
    I noticed this link over on koiphen: http://www.ippca.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=949

Seems these two are pairing up in an attempt to dominate the industry. The chain store mentality strikes another industry.
    Mitch

"Greetings all,

Sorry I missed InfoTanza this year. I, along with members of my staff and team members were in Hawaii attending the Grand Opening of the Kodama Koi Farm and the Japan Nishikigoi Expo. (No beach or golfing time.....we worked the entire time!)

Writers for several industry magazines were there covering the event - and you'll be able to read about it in up coming issues.......but I'll "let the cat out of the bag" as to what really big news happened.

At the Expo it was publicly, and formally announced that Kodama Koi Farm and Russell Watergardens are entering a joint-venture partnership in the Russell Watergardens Franchise Corporation that is being funded in part by Tsunami Partners - a Tokyo based venture capital firm.

The owner of Kodama Koi Farm is Mr. Mamoru Kodama - a world renowned Nishikigoi expert, highly respected author, Associate Editor of Koi USA Magazine, koi judge, and Director of the International Nishikigoi Promotion Center. (INPC). The Kodama Koi Farm is run by Mr. Mamoru's son Taro Kodama - who created Japan Koi Online.

The partnership of Russell Watergardens and Kodama Koi Farm into the Russell Watergardens Franchise Corporation will expand to all 50 states starting in early 2007.

The Russell Watergardens / Kodama Koi Farm partnership is the world's first and only partnership of its kind - the joining of the water gardening and koi industries under one umbrella.

Mr. Mamoru Kodama personally approves and endorses each and every component manufactured by, and for, Russell Watergardens for the utmost in quality, workmanship, function, ease of maintenance, water quality, and Nishikigoi health and well being.

The Russell Watergardens / Kodama Koi Farm partnership is being referred as the industry's first "Hardware & Software" partnership - combining Russell Watergardens' filtration systems with Kodama Koi Farm's Nishikigoi.

The Russell Watergardens expansion program is scheduled for early 2007.

Sincerely,
    John Russell
    Russell Watergardens
    I, Personally think that this is not a good idea. Not because of a fear of lost business, but because when you introduce Koi into watergardens you tend to have more problems and it discourages people from continuing in the hobby. The watergarden industry does not know how to properly educate people on keeping Koi.

What do you think?

Russ
    Last edited by Brian; 11-05-2008, 03:50 AM.

Comment

I have 3 koi from jko. I have always found them to be honest. Always easy to deal with..and very professional. More luck to them...many should follow their business practices.
      sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutuscz View Post
        I have 3 koi from jko. I have always found them to be honest. Always easy to deal with..and very professional. More luck to them...many should follow their business practices.
        I am not saying that JKO is dishonest, I am saying that introducing Koi to the watergarden industry without education is a mistake. Please don't get me wrong. I support any good business in Koi because it will make the Koi industry grow. My beef is with the watergarden industry. Remember Aquascapes is part of the watergaden industry.
        Last edited by Russell Peters; 12-03-2006, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Well, if they compete with the rock-bottom folks and promote a rock-free pond, I'll be very happy. Lots of water gardens out there with some koi. Too many being built with rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Peters View Post
            I, Personally think that this is not a good idea. Not because of a fear of lost business, but because when you introduce Koi into watergardens you tend to have more problems and it discourages people from continuing in the hobby. The watergarden industry does not know how to properly educate people on keeping Koi.

What do you think?

Russ
            We can only hope that Kodama will insist on playing a major role in educating the Russell WG people on Koi keeping vs. Water Gardening. If not, it could wind up ruining their reputation.
            Larry Iles
            Oklahoma

Comment

In the world of koi there seems to be two interests. Watergardeners and koi folks. There is a place for both . It may be this new corp will be a middle ground that will help either side transistion according to their desire.

I think it will be important for clubs to educate the watergardeners that there is more to koi then just swimming in the backyard with the lilly pads .
              I think shows and education seminars will be the key. Maybe Kodama's association with AKCA will make the stores ready to provide lists of clubs in their area. ZNA clubs need to seek the same courtesy.

The american public wants things turn key in their life and maybe this new Corp will provide that. A way to get into the hobby without the dreadful learning curve of killing fish and eventually finding a club. Maybe we can spare newbees all the grief, those looking for a challenge will drift to the clubs.

As always time will tell as to how sucessful this new enterprise will be. Life is change and how we adjust to it. What's good for the public awareness is good for the hobby and good for koi. I'm for that!
              Dick Benbow

Comment

I think this will end up like other franchise businesses. Some will have more passionate, knowledgable owners than others. I would think that if the franchisee only buy koi that go through Kodama's quarantine facility in Hawaii they should be able to eliminate a lot of the common disease problems as an issue. I think this also will give the Japanese breeders a ready outlet for many of their culls. It might well pay someone to buy into this franchise as a good way to get into the industry. All and all I think it is just fine and as someone viewing this as potential new competition all I can say is come on in the waters fine.
                Mitch

Comment

Interesting... To be honest, I'm confused by all of this. In what parallel universe could the good folk at Kodama endorse a system that does not include a bottom drain at the very least, let alone a proper koi filtration system?

Comment

point well taken! Quess we'll just have to see what Kodama brings to the table.
                    Dick Benbow

Comment

After several books and many years in the business..why would they want to ruin their reputation for a quick buck? I like to believe they will do things properly. They certainly have the experience for things to be done correctly...no excuses there.
                      sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Comment

[/quote] Hello Gloria,

First of all, we are not advertising, seeking, or promoting "franchise" stores at this time. The SEC strongly regulates what can, and can't be said about franchising. Right now, we are discussing the partnership of Russell Watergardens Flagship Store and Kodama Koi Farm and the creation of a new company called "Russell Watergardens Franchise Corporation". This new company is in the process of acquiring liceneses and/or registrations in all 50 states for the purpose of expansion through both franchising and corporate owned stores in 2007. We are in no way discussing, solicting or promoting franchise sales untill we are licensed to do so in all 50 states starting in early 2007. The posts on this forum are discussing future corporate stores only.
                        In answer to your question.

Russell Watergardens products will be exclusively available through Russell Watergardens Stores and single corporate web site.
                        BUT,
                        Russell Watergardens Stores are not exclusive to Russell Watergardens products.

Our stores are for the benefit of the end users. If a customer wants a product from another manufacturer, we want them to get it from our store - and not send them down the road to get it. All non-proprietary products will pass a review board comprised of store managers - and each store will have the same products and services. If a store manager is partial to a particular product - they will submit it to the Corporate review board. Upon approval of the store managers, the product will be available in all our stores. This is to assure quality, and uniformity of the corporate system from coast to coast, and north to south.

Russell Watergardens Franchise Corporation focuses on unity, togetherness, teamwork, relationships, and mutual respect. We're in the "middle" of the water garden and koi pond industries. We believe that everyone should have a water feature - not matter what type of brand it is - as long as it is quality.

Russell Watergardens and the Kodama Koi Farm are breaking the chains of resentment and hostility between formats - and between manufacturers in both formats. It is no longer acceptable in this century to believe the outdated mantra of "you're either with us, or you're against us". Friendly competition is a good thing - but inflexibility and intolerance are not.

Russell Watergardens and Kodama Koi Farm, John Russell and Mamoru Kodama specifically, believe that the true method to harmony and balance is the act of working together coupled with education and understanding. Education at all levels will drastically reduce the lawsuits that are being filed around the country as a result of one-sided thinking - either one side or the other, and nothing in between.

Both the water gardening and koi industries have been polarized and entrenched in their beliefs and methods. But the truth of the matter is that both industries are good - as long as one is educated in both formats and understands the formats - or the Hybrids in between.

Russell Watergardens Stores opening across the United States in 2007 is the unity that both industries have been waiting for. A "team" approach in which everyone can and will learn from everyone - without ridicule, intolerance, or brow-beating. People of all backgrounds shaking hands together in mutual respect and friendship will replace individuals sticking their thumbs of intolerance up.

I'll try to be on the Forum more - but we are opening a new flagship store location that is more suitable for replication across the country, developing the training program, and of course developing new products - so my time in the office is very limited for the next few months.

Sincerely,
                        John Russell[/quote]

I don't have an account but I cut and paste this from that board. Now reading this is seems they want to educate both sides of the hobby. You have to wonder how many of us got into the hobby. It was either aquariums and or water gardens. This fueled all of us to get in depth for koi and koi only.

Having said that what other sources are promoting people getting into ponding? It kind of a necessary evil if you ask me. In business you have to lead people to you door and then let them lead more educated in what they really want. If they don't come through the door more than likely they will go somewhere else and get wrong info. I am not a fan of rock bottom ponds but I am in favor of opening some sort of door to lead them through the tunnel where some of us came. Unfortunately the tunnel has many tolls along the way but in the end we all see the light..

Joe
                        It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Kodama partnership....

Seems Kodama has gone into partnership with a water garden franchise. Good or bad for the hobby?

http://www.ippca.com/phpBB2/viewtopi...=asc&highlight=
                          2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
                          AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
                          July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
                          http://www.umkoiclub.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Auntiesue View Post
                            Seems Kodama has gone into partnership with a water garden franchise. Good or bad for the hobby?

http://www.ippca.com/phpBB2/viewtopi...asc&highlight=
                            This was a topic on Bito about a week or so ago. It got mixed reviews.

Comment

Sue, here is a link to the same topic

http://koi-bito.com/forum/showthread...ghlight=kodama

Joe
                              It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X