Save or cull this fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save or cull this fish?

Based on the shape of this chagoi's head, would you save or cull this fish? My problem is that I really like the color and scalation (although not apparent in these pictures). This little guy is only one of two reasonably nice fish that came from my first spawn (female soragoi with a gin rin ochiba and kohaku). I don't want to be too hasty in culling for physical defects if it is not really that bad.
    Attached Files

I have no idea what makes a good chagoi...but, I get lots of those in my spawns.....they all go to the chickens ...I have always just thought they were throw backs....they always grow 10 times faster than the colorful ones too...It will be interesting to see what everyone else says....
    Lawanna

Comment

We definitely need a better, top down photo to asess a chagoi. If in doubt...grow them out. Then if you don't like what we say...stick them on ebay. A little poetry for everyone (very little ).
      sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Comment

Save it.

Comment

For some reason, I can't see any pictures but I always say if you have room for it and are in doubt, then keep it for a while and grow it out. You can always cull it later if you change your mind.

Comment

I always keep some "culls" in order to learn. Junk koi can teach you alot, if only to teach you what not to keep from the next spawning

BB

Comment

Where's the barbels? And why are the fish out of water?

Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
              paints his own nature into his pictures."
              --Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

Originally posted by Sangreaal View Post
                Where's the barbels? And why are the fish out of water?
                Must have had a shave before jumping on the towel to dry off.LOL

Comment

Is it definitely a koi....or a koi-goldfish hybrid?
                  sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutuscz View Post
                    Is it definitely a koi....or a koi-goldfish hybrid?
                    It is a Koi, if you enlarge the picture you can see barbels.

Comment

After spawning a few years, and you asked me, I'd tell you to off it. But I agree with the concept that while your learning, you can afford to hang on to a few to learn from. ( it's just in my learning curve, I learned to off it! )
                      You soon learn that there is only so much water/filter/food and better to use it up on something that has a chance to turn out.....BTW some of the best Chagoi I ever spawned came from an ochiba spawning.....
                      Dick Benbow

Comment

it looks pretty poor but dont kill it , give it away.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                        Working...
                        X