Need clarification on Japanese terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need clarification on Japanese terms

I am trying to make a list of koi related terms and in doing so have seen some conflicting definitions. Any help will be appreciated.

I have seen fin translated as 'hire' and as 'hani' - which is right or do they refer to something different about fins?
    I have seen 'uroko' translated as scale and 'goke' and 'oroko' translated as fish scale - which is corect?
    I have seen male translated to 'aus' and as 'osu' and female translated as 'medu' and 'mesu' - which are correct?

Thanks, Wayne S.

I have started to compile a koi term list (see other post) I have male as aus ,female as mesu the others I to would like to know as well.

rick

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne S.
      I am trying to make a list of koi related terms and in doing so have seen some conflicting definitions. Any help will be appreciated.

I have seen fin translated as 'hire' and as 'hani' - which is right or do they refer to something different about fins?
      I have seen 'uroko' translated as scale and 'goke' and 'oroko' translated as fish scale - which is corect?
      I have seen male translated to 'aus' and as 'osu' and female translated as 'medu' and 'mesu' - which are correct?

Thanks, Wayne S.
      "Hire" (hee-ray) is the correct term for fin. There are different terms for different fins though.

"Uroko" is the correct term for scale(s), with -goke being used to make compound words such as "oni-goke" (large doitsu scales on the back). The actuall root word for that is "koke". Oroko is incorrect.

"Mesu" is female and "osu" is male. Some folks in Niigata will refer to a female as "mena" and a male as "kana" though.

Hope that helps.
      Brian Sousa
      Koi-Bito Forum

Comment

Hey Brian, why don't you include and index of these words in the back of each issue? Need more learning material...
        The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
        Working...
        X