Why are we here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are we here?

This will be my 200th post . I just wanted to ask everyone, how and why they got into this hobby? Starting with me, I needed a break from going "Postal" from of course the Post Office. Who's next....?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Aquitori told me I would meet a lot of "chicks" at the koi shows; liar... just kidding. Seriously, it's just a natural progression. I've kept fish tropical, salt, reef tanks, golfish, koi in aquariums, etc since I was a child. I just moved on to bigger better things .

Comment

Ned too wind down

Just need to wind down after another long day. Can't really do anything outside at this time without alarming the neighbours and getting threats or cops. It’s calming to find that I’m not all out off my mind. Reading and trying to understand the rest of you out there Is help bigger than you can imagine.

After staring up with “Brass” in an aquarium for my kids, they didn’t appreciate fishing when they where younger. Nishikigoi was the fist real fish with an edge and challenge we came across.

Still also they are resting at this late Norwegian hour. Inside in our 12 ton it is dark, quiet and well. By for now a pillow is calling for me and to morrow I guess its just another Monday (seven days a week).
      Tone - Truls -Petter
      Vogata NI

Comment

Originally posted by erwinsan
        Aquitori told me I would meet a lot of "chicks" at the koi shows; liar... just kidding. Seriously, it's just a natural progression. I've kept fish tropical, salt, reef tanks, golfish, koi in aquariums, etc since I was a child. I just moved on to bigger better things .
        I said you'll get alot of knowledge, not chicks man.....This isn't a nightclub.

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori
          I said you'll get alot of knowledge, not chicks man.....This isn't a nightclub.
          so serious, like I said before "just kidding"

Comment

How & why start? ...boring story. Why remain? ... No other captive fish hobby has the history, science, culture, community, aesthetics, standards, internationalism ... and a oneness between hobbyist, producer, dealer and supplier.

Why spend time on this board, or any other? ... learning, yes; but more the sharing of knowledge, experiences, beliefs, dreams with a community.

Quite bizarre that a trashy fish like a carp has accomplished this. As said another time and another thread, it had to be Niigata. The mourning for those tragic fish farmers in mountains far away arises from that sense of community among koikeepers. Even the engineers and science-minded among us are proved to be romantics at heart.

Grown people reaching across the ether to contemplate the future of black pigment on a slimy fish, or eager to see a picture of the one thought best at some obscure locale by some guys never met ... such a strange magnet are koi.

Comment

Mike, very poetic and well put...I think we kind of lose hind sight in such a madness of big business. We all need to check ourselves from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM
                How & why start? ...boring story. Why remain? ... No other captive fish hobby has the history, science, culture, community, aesthetics, standards, internationalism ... and a oneness between hobbyist, producer, dealer and supplier.

Why spend time on this board, or any other? ... learning, yes; but more the sharing of knowledge, experiences, beliefs, dreams with a community.

Quite bizarre that a trashy fish like a carp has accomplished this. As said another time and another thread, it had to be Niigata. The mourning for those tragic fish farmers in mountains far away arises from that sense of community among koikeepers. Even the engineers and science-minded among us are proved to be romantics at heart.

Grown people reaching across the ether to contemplate the future of black pigment on a slimy fish, or eager to see a picture of the one thought best at some obscure locale by some guys never met ... such a strange magnet are koi.
                That sums it up for me. Well said, Mike. I think I'll frame that and put it on my wall.
                Gene

Comment

I alway take pressure on my current profession of construction manager, and believe I have to locate a life-time career outside this current profession.

Koi give me joyful and it was originally cultivated by Chinese when we think gold~red colors are symbols of joy, fortune and elegancy. However due to many many reasons Japanese lead the World currently, I hope the joyful from koi can become popular in China and the whole World.

Comment

Hopefully koi can spread throughout the world as a symbol peace. Part of the world has the dove with the olive branch and we have koi. If it we're up to me i would rather take the koi than the dove...too many pigeons in my area..

Just note that we all have are reasons for doing this hobby...But, all in all we all need a retreat from the busy world. That neverland of retreat is the pond.

Comment

I lived in Japan for several years and fell in love with the culture and the people.

I couldn't wait to get home, find a home (with lots of japanese touches)
                      build a japanese garden, build a pond and build a bonsai display area. That's gone on the for the last 30 years.

When i'm in "my element", I feel most relaxed and happy. Especially when I can see my favorite asagi "eyeing me" to see if I have a worm for her.

I quess you could say I've spent most of my lifetime learning everything i can
                      about a way of life that I'm attracted to.....

I see a lot of myself ( a few decades ago) in our publisher, a kindred spirit
                      connection.
                      Dick Benbow

Comment

Question for Dick....

30 yrs? Shot Dick you have been doin this hobby longer than I have been around. That's cool thou...Atleast you have seen this hobby revolve the last 3 decades...My question to you is what do you think of it so far?

Comment

To answer the original question: Well, it all started with a goldfish that I didn't manage to kill. ... It finally died this year, but I think it was over 8 years old by then.

I got into koi because I bought a fish at Petco and not long after that I bought Koi Kichi (the first one, hardback) from Amazon. I also dug my first pond (with a pickaxe) and threw in a liner.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd be rich.

Now I know enough to know that there is alot I don't know. So I hang around here to learn more and perhaps help a few make their first pond their best pond.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS
                            To answer the original question: Well, it all started with a goldfish that I didn't manage to kill. ... It finally died this year, but I think it was over 8 years old by then.

I got into koi because I bought a fish at Petco and not long after that I bought Koi Kichi (the first one, hardback) from Amazon. I also dug my first pond (with a pickaxe) and threw in a liner.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd be rich.

Now I know enough to know that there is alot I don't know. So I hang around here to learn more and perhaps help a few make their first pond their best pond.
                            Jason, funny you mention goldfish. I dug my pond because of goldfish. I must have been the only 15yr old digging a pond that summer and wanted a bigger space for my goldfish since my moms was tell me to take down the 55 gal tank in the house. Like you said if we only know what we knew then....

Comment

The happiness that koi brings to the heart of the keeper is the main focus that will never change. it can spread thru varied cultures and be appreciated for the same reasons.

individually it's fun to watch people involved in the hobby. first they want all the different kinds and to know their names. then they get interested in show koi and competition, then they get confused about what makes a grand champion and go back to having koi for the hobby. During this time they learn about water quality and koi health and the culture of japan.

This hobby can seem to be made for people of wealth because of the cost of building ponds, super filters, show koi etc. But if you study hard and are handy you can adapt your knowledge that you learn in brian's magazine and on this board into something more affordable and fun.

koi keeping has given me a lifetime of happiness, it's only competition is my life of bonsai BUT that's a different board and another story.....
                              Dick Benbow

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X