Norway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada versus Norway

Sorry to disappoint all the Canadian out there, but Norway is a bit divers on the weather side. Weather is quit different when we take in costal area and North/East configuration. In the east at the coast (lowlands) it changes dramatically with wind direction. We are located in the end off the golf stream this keeps the eastern sea temperature relative high and when the winds follow the stream push up the temperature. Without the stream weather would bee like yours and like our highland or northern section. When the winds change it’s like getting your weather (would guess a bit warmer but with an moist cold spell to it). At 600 meters and higher 15-35° bellow is quit common. There we have dryer air and it’s easier to tolerate the cold.

NB! Due to all the greater “rolecoaster” roads her in Norway an awe rage 60 km/h is reckoned as good trawling speed.

The dividing line is for us Trondheim (7 hours drive north) further north above this there is a harder and colder winter climate each year. The daylight period will bee shorter the further north you get and be down down to about 30 minutes off twilight in Tromsø. (22houers drive) In Sarpsborg (our location) the night stretches from 16:00 to well past 07:00 The opposite come in the summer with no night at all in Tromsø and just a coupe off hours (2-3) for us her in Sarpsborg. Just to make things funnier its about 30 minutes by car from us for snow and ~5-7°C lower average temperature.

So far this year we have had two sets off snow up to 50cm and temperatures dow at –16°C weeks with –6 to –10°C and weeks with +5 to 10°C. The last days it we have had rain and windy conditions.

It’s not unmoral for some of us worrying abut flood while just hours away they cant keep the ways free of snow (drivable). Her normal to drive behind plows in columns just to cross higher passages or to get further north. In Norway more than 40% is higher than 600 above sea level.

Unfortunately for us normally water temperature in outdoor ponds drop below 10°C late September and often don’t get up again before the middle of April. Fresh water is currently at 3.5 to 4°C in our taps. Our small ones have bee inside for more than two months now and up at 20°C at the moment and still climbing.
    Tone - Truls -Petter
    Vogata NI

Comment

Our son lives in Germany and he tells me it is above 0 there and they go to Hamburg and it is quite balmy. We visited him there last year in the winter and it was very mild we saw very little snow. The amazing thing about was the further north you go the warmer it gets. Here the further north you go the colder it gets all the way to the arctic. I talked to a lady from the actic last week and she said it was minus 40 there a couple of weeks ago. I explain to people Alberta has a low poplulation because of our climate but we do have a relativley strong economy but you have to make the best of the weather. I would definitley like to visit Sweden Finaland and Norway someday. We are going to Florida for 3 weeks next month it is 25 plus there these days according to my weather watch.
      The perfect koi is always one purchase or spawning away!

Comment

Much of it is due to water. In Hamburg the farther north you go the more the ocean tempers the climate. Water on both sides. It's when the wind comes from the NE or E that things get nasty and cold.
        B.Scott
        Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

More on mother nature

Its in fact another side off what we get, the only difference is that we are further north so a swing from ~0° down to –20°C below is almost normal inside a week. When you travel just under two hours further north from Hamburg you will bee well inside Denmark. Denmark This region with Denmark lower part of Sweden and my part of Norway is all under the Golf streams mercy. This gives us some rather funny weather. With the ours swinging at the lowest end of the scale (temperature vice) Don’t get us wrong in a normal winter we will have more than 3 monts below-10°C and about a month with –20° or lower.

Q: Another word for “balmy”

Dead On Scott!
          Tone - Truls -Petter
          Vogata NI

Comment

balmy = very nice weather something everyone would enjoy weather wise.
            When we pass over the mountains to the West coast ie Vancouver the weather is much warmer but also wetter they live in a temperate rainforest many of the trees have been removed of course but it is still very beautiful. About a week ago we were on the west coast and the weather was balmy [by alberta standards] and we were lucky enough not to get much rain. We even went golfing but the people there don't golf much at this time of year as it is too cold for them 3-8C was the range. Balmy compared to -25-35 here. Not that most people here use the word a lot. The sun sets now at about 1630 and come up at 930 so the days are too short but summer has long days the longest on june 21 sunset 2200 and rise about 4 i like it a lot at that time

Comment

Our long promised road through a normal year for us here outside.

Lets start up with the autumn witch always come around. Due to normal weather we don’t look that much at the calendar at all. Sometime in the course off September – November the temperature will start to fall usually it lingers around 16-13°C for some time before plummeting down. It’s the time when the cold take hold off the high grounds and give us 7-4°C in tap water. In a mirror of 1-2 weeks we bring the Nishikigoi inside. From/to ~10°C. We start raising off temperature start immediately up to over 26°C witch is our hold temperature for 2-3 months. All in all they have 5-6 months inside with us to play with. Even if the scenery is not the best, it’s nice sitting there in warm calming water while the check us out and beg for more to snack on.

Inside we have a 13 tons winter storage including ~2.4 ton filter. The unit is automated with small and frequent fresh water fillings. It’s also on a timer with full spectre lighting. If all goes well we will start with the new 20-ton indoor pond soon. And no its not just one household but two crazy neighbours that’s behind it.

Some time in spring April –June the weather will again turn to give us green winter and we take the Nishikigoi controlled down to meet the raising pond temperature. At 13-15°C we perform the swap. Normally the temperature rises to above 18°C in just weeks by it own. They will now spend the next months outside in my green monster of 50 tons before coming inside again. It’s the same place my children learned to swim and I do as well.

Summer temperatures in outdoor pond can stay below 20°C all summer or go as high as26-28°C, but the last is not often.

Last summer we never got above 20°C and had 40 cm off snow in the middle of July (it went away in a couple off days main you). By the way snow in Mai is not unheard off just cold.

Any special parts that stand out feel free to pock (ask in Norwegian)
              Tone - Truls -Petter
              Vogata NI

Comment

Your koi lead an ideal life. How do you get them out of the big summer pond? Do you have to empty it. That's how I get mine out. The last one or two are always impossible to catch unless I empty the pond. I have a very difficult time getting the spawners out of the ponds after spawning too. I just spawn them in mud ponds they are very crafty. Norway sound like a great place but if we got snow like that in summer July we would be in big trouble as a lot of the crops etc would get ruined. We got snow in June once and got quite a bit this past September which flattened a lot of crops. could you post some pictures of your set up Thanks

Comment

You know Sanke netting koi is an art. It can be make difficult by putting obstructions in the pond like plants (gag) of even something decorative like a bridge. My mate Bil has a bridge with a pergola across his pond and it can make catching his fish a very hard job indeed.
                  But normally a pond where you have room to work shouldn't pose a problem. A good diameter koi net (3'+) with a thick long pole is usually enough. Sometimes a helper to herd them in your direction helps.

I learned to net fish by spending an entire afternoon watching an English koi dealer I know net fish for his clients. After a while much became very clear indeed. It was one of the most fruitful 4 hours I have ever invested. With a little bit of practice I have gotten to the point where I can net any fish in my pond in under a minute. Mind you my pond is on the smaller side but I am confident I would be just as successful anywhere else.

A person who is good with a net doesn't scoop them but rather herds them toward the sides and surface so they end up on top of the net.It's all about moving the net horizontally through the water (thin edge first) and not trying to push the whole surface of the net through the water vertically.

I have a floating box that I throw in to place the fish in. Once the fish is on top of the net, I dip the short side of the box underwater with the rim of the net. The fish swims off the net and into the box. I can net a fish, look at it and release it without ever having to remove it from the water. Less stress, less injury and a more frequent ability to inspect the fish if need be.

B.Scott
                  Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

B Scott yes I am sure you are right. I will have to get one of those bigger dip net my old one is getting worn out anyway. I will practise the technique you mentioned as well. thanks for the advice. Some of my ponds are mud ponds and I can't see the fish and they also have bull rushes in them. The plants are good for the fish but bad for catching also some of the edges of the ponds have undercut from the water and fish feeding on roots. I have a big drag net with floats and weights that I use but some always get by. I need to relandscape the ponds like the ones in Japan that I see in the pics. Mine look very natural but they have their drawbacks. I have one plasitic lined one and it stays clear it is about 8 feet deep and about 6000 gallons. One of my mud ponds is about 10 feet deep and maybe 50,000 gallons it is the growing pond for some of my choice fish. I just aerate the mud ponds no filtration. I top them up from a little lake whenever they need it.There is lots of natural food in the mud ponds and the big ones is quite weedy. The weeds decrease in the fall when it cools off. I put netting over the top of the mud ponds to discourage predatory birds

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                    Working...
                    X