Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi @ all,

I'm the newest member in this forum.

I'm very interesseted in the threads in this forum, because I think, it's contains a lot of usefull information.

In german koi-forums a mainly disputes between users...only few information for all...

After reading some thread here, I detected a very high qualitiy especially in Areas like "hobby-breeding", high and show qualitiy koi.

I'm started ro run a koi-shop for the new koi-season started in spring in Germany. I run a chain store in partnership with a very good koi dealer friend of mine.

I mainly busied in selling Tosai for novices in our hobby.

My partner mainly sells Nissai and Sansai from Sakai, Tamaura, Yamazaki, Hirasawa, Murashige.

Greetz NM

Welcome! Look forward to learning more about koikeeping in Germany.

Comment

Thank you for your kind thoughts about our board and welcome!

We do disagree ocassionally and have different ways of seeing things but it is an exceptional group!

Let us know if there is anything we can chat about. I think it takes a brave soul to get into the live goods business. I wish you well.

I hope you'll consider chatting with the publisher of the magazine here as you may want to have some copies of his magazine available for your customers. His
      series on how to appreciate,read and select tosai by tatsuo Ozawa is truely invaluable! It's on going and worth it's weight in gold!
      Dick Benbow

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM
        Welcome! Look forward to learning more about koikeeping in Germany.
        Are you interested in something special?

Comment

Originally posted by dick benbow
          We do disagree ocassionally and have different ways of seeing things but it is an exceptional group!
          Yes, to have differnet ways of seeing are very usefull, but in the German Forum, are often arrogant useres, which doen't discuss by exchanging arguments, there is lot of personal antipathy...

Originally posted by dick benbow
          I hope you'll consider chatting with the publisher of the magazine here as you may want to have some copies of his magazine available for your customers. His
          series on how to appreciate,read and select tosai by tatsuo Ozawa is truely invaluable! It's on going and worth it's weight in gold!
          Yes I'm interesseted in ordering the Koi-Bito Magazin!

In which edition can I find the this artical about selsct tosai?

Regards NM

Comment

Gutentag Heer NM, (Do you have a name?)

Welcome aboard koi-bito. There is indeed a very high level of knowledge to be had here. That's my feeling at least.

I know what you mean about the state-of-mind on the local European boards. I spent some time on the board of the Dutch repersentive of the ZNA and became quite weary after defending myself to all the people with wrong/ out-of-date ideas. They were all making new plans for plant filters, gravel filters and so forth. I got so tired of all the work it took to convince people I just gave up. Sad really. All those newbie experts without a clue

It's nice to find a place where you can talk about things that matter instead of rehashing all the subjects people should understand before they even buy fish.

Herzliche Willkommen
            Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

Issues 6 and 7 have the tosai articles in them. On this web is a place to subscribe. I know you and your customers will get a lot out of the articles.
              hope the fact that it's in english will not be a problem. From the sounds of things we can get B scott to translate!
              Dick Benbow

Comment

Thanks Dick,

My German is ok but not THAT good.
                The reason I took it as a class in jr high school was so I could understand the German bits in Hogans Heros and the war films we used to watch. Little did I know that most of it was actors who could hardly pronounce it properly!

Comment

@ B. Scott:

My Name is Nico, thanks for the few german words.

Yes the newbie experts are an other "problem" in german forum.
                  They started reading books or asking other koi-keepers, until they have ill Koi in their ponds...

@ Dick

The Koi-Bito Magazin written in English isn't a problem for me..maybe for some customers...
                  I think there are a lot of Germans, who wouldn't be able to read a Mag in Englisch, others aren't interessted in read a Mag in an other language, because they would enjoy reading, not looking for some vocabulary...

But, I think I will be able to report the contents of the Koi-Bito Mags.

I think I contact the publisher to clarify some details, like prices in Euro, dates of delivery, start of the subsciption...

So now I'm goinig to a christmas fair.

Regards Nico

Comment

Dear Scott (maybe the horns can grind a bit in me now)

“wrong/ out-of-date ideas” OOPS “plant filters”

I guess abut 1/3 of us are doomed then. Her are my long-time dreamer:

Completely controlled environment around pond at all time, Norway = built in. Almost no space for rambling around just small confined well located dwelling places. Almost all off pond turnover up after filter units to 2-2.5 m where gravity and mans fantasy brings it back to short end of pond. Re-entry to pond over low but “big” waterfall.

In between a guessilloon off watercourses with plants (green wall syndrome). Under jungle walls at levelled with main waterfall collection watercourse that also feed waterfall. Inside this set-up and no more DOC and low O2.

Why are I not there yet – well same downside as a BS. Water – air, temperature converting and pump configuration. I’m I going yesSiry , every year one step closer. Hope this can bring about a nice mental picture, if not I’m sorry for my poor way around with words.
                    Tone - Truls -Petter
                    Vogata NI

Comment

Might as well make it an international affair....
                      Spent a few years with an old German carpenter and can only assume the words in German I know would be offensive to most. His surname is Goldschmid and your handle has brung back some memories...
                      As far as getting KoiBito mag is a must! Order from 1 to 7 they are all outstanding and must say that I have learnt somthing from every issue. The breeder interviews , the photo's , I could go on....

Regards Ian
                      Backyard Puddle

Comment

Ah Plants...

People like plants, they look nice and can add a very esthetic air to a pond with koi. Many people start ponds with certain ideals and goals as to how they should look. The down side is that sadly this often doesn't run parallel to the actual needs of the koi we plan introduce into them. I think a person needs to make a clear decision from the very start. Will they be building an esthetic water garden or a pond to keep koi in? The two are completely different animals and not to be confused with each other.

Years ago when I was just starting my koi pond I read an article by a Dutchman named Hugo Smal. Of all the things I read in the beginning, his words made the deepest impression on me. What he basically said was there are two kinds of Koi ponds... Proper Koi Ponds & Ponds with Koi. A proper koi pond was specifically built and designed to keep and grow koi in, A pond with koi is a pond that was built and where the owners have at some stage decided to introduce koi. The first is an environment where fish have chance to thrive and develop the other is a pit of sorrow doomed to failure.

At this point in time I believe most of the numbers indicate that the introduction of plants (other than short green algae on the pond walls) is detrimental to the water quality of a normal koi pond. Comparisons of pH stability, ORP levels, bacterial counts and nitrogen cycle results show anything other than a beneficial effect on the water quality after the addition of plants into the environment of a closed circulation pond.

Many people still are determined to have plants despite all the evidence to the contrary. I have spent hours looking up the figures and typing out the reasons only to be told "You are wrong and I will do it anyway"... Fine, I can't be bothered anymore. If someone wants plants then I say go for it just don't ask for my help when it goes ****-up. A hard attitude perhaps, but my time is too valuable to waste on those who feel they already have the answers.
                        Sad but true. I rather spend all week talking to the one person willing to take advice than waste time listening to those who already know it all. Too many of those about.
                        That said the potential koi keeper with all the advice from dealers flogging their wares is often at odds trying to sort out the hype from the true advice.
                        Take the garden center near me... I have to bite my tongue while he sells people bacteria starter and algaecides with copper in them. But who am I superman. Is it up to me to stand there and "rescue" the store's customers?
                        I find it a bit of a dilemma at times.

B.Scott

Comment

Scott

Did you read plants in pond anyplace in my little teaser?
                          Tone - Truls -Petter
                          Vogata NI

Comment

To be truthfull Petter, I'm not sure

Comment

Originally posted by B.Scott
                              Ah Plants...

Years ago when I was just starting my koi pond I read an article by a Dutchman named Hugo Smal. Of all the things I read in the beginning, his words made the deepest impression on me. What he basically said was there are two kinds of Koi ponds... Proper Koi Ponds & Ponds with Koi. A proper koi pond was specifically built and designed to keep and grow koi in, A pond with koi is a pond that was built and where the owners have at some stage decided to introduce koi. The first is an environment where fish have chance to thrive and develop the other is a pit of sorrow doomed to failure.

B.Scott
                              B.Scott,
                              Its funny you should mention this. I got into a huge debate with my father (a one time show koi keeper, 30 years ago). Trying to explain to him what I have learned and what koi ponds are today, and how plants (IMHO) really was not needed for addressing biological filtration anymore. It was like talking to a wall! Chuck that baby up and I just hope I get my pond up before he starts trying to convert his swimming pool. We both sit around the table and trash each others designs...kind of fun in father/son way.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X