• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20,000+gph, 1.5Amps, 115 volt pump

called "ice eaters", and made by Power House Inc
    http://www.thepowerhouseinc.com/aquaculture.asp

Go to the "ice eater" page.....
    The way I see it these will be an eco-friendly (and wallet friendly) way to move massive amounts of water.....if you read my LONG very LONG threads on koivet then you'll have the story on my search for this product and how the internet was a big part of making it possible.
    I've always held the opinion that teven the "best koi pond pump" was not engineered to meet the goal of the koi hobbyist, but was simply existing product dealers identifying a niche and filling it.
    These "pumps" are designed to keep boat slips free of ice in the Winter. They draw very little electricity and if properly designed into a koi pond/filtration system could be the best choice for many years to come.
    I plunked down the plastic and paid the $370 to get the small one. In months I'll have more answers.
    But these pumps are used by oyster farmers, lots of oyster farmers. They work well and in saltwater...
    What do you all think.
    (yes I am excited. I stupidly have been building a 40,000gallon+ and when it got down to getting Pumps I realized I was going to have to pay a fortune to get a good turnover. Now I won't.)

Ok Luke,
    I had a look and they are interesting. But what will you use them for? They aren't pumps so much as water cirulators. If you just want to push water around the pond, ok fine. But is you need to feed the filter or anything like that I don't see how this is going to work. Please explain!
    B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

Picture a large submerged filter chamber that is gravity fed and the same level as the pond. Like the side chambers on many of the ponds shown in Koi-Bito.

Now rather than using a jump filter or bead filter you just push water out a very large TPR or set of TPRs. Keep the head pressure low (less than 2 feet) and a pump like the ones Luke has been looking at should do very nicely.

I think he should have a skimmer circuit that terminates in a wet/dry shower-style filter as well. But the drain circuit is just all about moving water around for settlement and bio.

Comment

BS...gee you look like St Ephen and your initials fit...I wonder?
        Jason did a good job of explaining what I am going to attempt to me...but then I already had the idea...did you understand it?
        It will have Very large plumbing. I plan on having some adjustable "skimmers" so the ice eater doesn't drain the filter to the catastrophic level.....since all I have is a six inch pipe feeding to it (right now).

Comment

Luke, jason talks about keeping the head below two feet... I think 3" is more accurate. If you use 6" to 8" pipes and keep the VERY short it might be OK. No trouble if you actually design for it at the outset. The returns will have to be a large diameter as well!

Low blow comparing me to Fphen. I always had a soft spot for ya, now way go and get nasty?

Comment

BS
            My return will be a hole in the common wall between the filter and the pond in which the "pump" will be placed (hopefully flowing in the right direction)

Comment

Yes I can see that working. Your return would then be something in the way of a wide wier (overflow) in the filter, back into the pond?
              B.Scott

Comment

Nope it is going to be below the waterline. I'll measure the pump and fit an 8-12 inch diameter pvc pipe when I build it....probably.
                the thing will be horizontal through the wall at the bottom of the filter bay but halfway up on th epond side

Comment

Luke,

I would also like to know how much head height are you going to push? and what will the size of your return plumbing be?

Comment

Ok,

I think I understand it now .You are not neccesaarilly using this an air lift pump? You are relying on the water movement to create a vaccum and move the water thru the filter chamber by placing the pump in the chamber and moving the water back in the direction of the pond? Or am I completely lost?

Comment

PCK,

I think a better analogy would be to imagine a house (pond) and an attached gararge (filter). Make a couple of windows between the garage and the house and then mount a big fan in one of them. Air pushed in the one window has to escape via the other. This would be your cirulation thru the filter. The openings need to be large and the fliter must have a high void ratio if this is to repersent any sort of saving. The second a pump like this needs to lift water more than an inch of two, the pump rate drops like a stone.

Comment

BS,
                        My filter chamber is going to be 35 ft long and three ft wide and perhaps two-and-a-half feet deep.. I plan on putting filter brushes in at a severe diagonal...perhaps a face of about 6ftx2ft+...more if I need it.

Comment

Hey, I didn't know this thread was over here too

Im going to do this same exact thing. Luke and I have been collaborating. Bascially a totally gravity fed filter system, with the deicer propeller pump thinging on the last chamber pushing right back to the pond. Waterfalls and other ammenities would be from other pumps.

The only head pressure on this type of system would be backpressure. If your gravity feed piping is undersized, you would definetly notice it.

Here is my filter system (before deck was added and pumps. The top 3 chambers are each 200 gallon settling chambers. Each connected by a 4" drain to the bottom of the pond. These chambers are all connected to the long chamber which is a horizontal filter chamber. First item in the chamber is 3 rows of black night filter brushes (48 total). Then bird netting as the bio-media. The pump(s) sit in the dry chamber on the right.

To add this new style pump, I would modify this long horizontal chamber to have a 6" pipe boot leaving and going right back to the pond. Then the pump would be mounted on the wet end (inside the filter).

I will be trying this next summer!! If that pump moves 20,000 gallons, even this filter system might be to undersized for it for the gravity flow to settle out enough particles.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Crikeees, I can't post a pic of it here either...well if you go to newt's you can see the Ice eater making a substabtial water plume...it looks like it will push 20,000gph. the prop looked tiny and weak when i took it outta the box, but i was not disappointed when I lowered it into the pond.

SWEET!

Comment

Here is the picture that Luke couldn't post.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X