Guess the breeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess the breeder

Here are a few pics of some Tosai I bred.
    Here is a link to some more http://www.jakoi.com/photo.html
    One year old on 3rd December.The bowl are 40cm wide in the pics.
    Give me you're honest opinions Please.

Jaco
    Last edited by jacovors; 12-12-2004, 12:30 AM. Reason: Link added
    Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

If I was purchasing fish I'd go with the Showa, then the Kohaku, then the first Sanke followed by the other. Then I'd need to get rid of two Showas from my pond to make room.

Yes, I like Showa.

If the prices were reasonable I'd take the Showa and the Kohaku but leave the Sankes.

Comment

Jac,
      Does the color of the Hi reflect reality or are they less oranji in the flesh? I'm concerned about the kiwa and sashi of some of these fish as the Hi seems to have begun to fade. The confirmation look great but I have some doubts about the depth of the Hi. This could of course just be a camera thingy as often the Hi will look either very deep red or rather oranji compared to the fish in the flesh.

B.Scott
      Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I
        Jaco Vorster
        South Africa

Comment

Thanks Guys,
          I was also surprised by the change in color from the real fish to the picture.
          Even the sashi does not show in the pics,next time I should take the pics in the shade.
          I prefer the Sanke to the Kohaku.
          The colour of the Showa is orange now but the Kohaku and Sanke are more red than what the pic reflects.
          I will leave them in the mud pond for another 5 months and then we can see what happened.
          Thanks for the reply.
          Jaco
          Jaco Vorster
          South Africa

Comment

I think your koi look fine and i commend you for your efforts. I'm convinced the orange will be a beautiful red and that your on the right track. keep it up!
            Dick Benbow

Comment

Thanks Dick,

It was my first try and I am planning to grow my fry of this year and the Tosai of last year for three years before spawning again to see how they develop and what I can learn from them.
              Jaco
              Jaco Vorster
              South Africa

Comment

I think the fish look great they are young and I suspect the orange will get deeper and redder as they age. I have some kohaku and sanke that started out quite orange but the color is definitely getting deeper. Is the last one a doitsu? You have great growth on these fish too. The parents have to have some good gentics too. I certainly enjoy seeing your pics and hearing about the development from your spawnings.
                The perfect koi is always one purchase or spawning away!

Comment

Jac said that the color isn't as orange as it looks in the pictures.

With the exception of showa I would avoid a fish with orange Hi. I find it seldom improves.

Comment

Thanks Sanke and Scott.

All the fish are fully scaled and no Doitsu among any of them.
                    Thanks for the kind words.
                    Jaco
                    Jaco Vorster
                    South Africa

Comment

Can I ask how long you have been breeding koi?

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Comment

Hi Tom,

This will be my second season now.
                        These fish are from my first attempt last year and I left the parents with the fry in the mud pond so had only 6000 fry to select from.
                        This year I tried metalics and had about 200 000 fry to select from so I guess the quality would be much better, I hope.
                        Jaco
                        Jaco Vorster
                        South Africa

Comment

Quite admirable Jac, I imagine it is quite an undertaking not to mention the work involved.

I hope you don't feel I was too hard on the fish in my posts above but you asked for an honest opinion.

The one thing I can't stand is when some water gardener posts pictures of her pond pigs (I mean fish so ugly you would be loath to feed them to your cats) and all the others on the board fawn over them and say how nice they are (retch).
                          Mind you what you have achived in a single season is a far cry from those. Naturally you have room to improve but you are on the right path without a doubt.
                          B.Scott

Comment

Thanks B. Scott,

I asked for you're honest opinion and got it.Now I know where to improve and how to change my culling regime.
                            Thanks again,
                            Jaco.
                            Jaco Vorster
                            South Africa

Comment

Jaco since you asked for our honest opinions, here's mine. The reason for asking how long you have been breeding koi is I think your doing a hell of a good job for only two seasons. It take some people yearsssss to get koi like that. I tried breeding a few years ago and I can tell you it's not easy, and I will never do it again. To get koi that look like the koi your have takes a eye if you ask me. If you were here in the US I would add you to some of the top breeders. Are they as nice as some of the koi that come out of Japan, not yet, but from only two seasons you're on your way.

What do your breeders look like. I would love to see what you used as parents for these koi.

Keep up the great work!

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X