water quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water quality

i jus tested my pond's ph level n i find tat it is 6.0 which shows tat it is acidic.. can i get some advise on wad i should do?

Peewee,

That isn't a tad acid rather very acid indeed. What is the water you fill the pond with like? If your water is of better quality I would do a big water change and continue to do so at regular intervals.
    Can you give us any more info?
    B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

i hav done a read up n i found tat it says a ph more 2 alkaline is better than more to acidity. my koi r breathing above the water level. can i know wat other problems r they suffering frm? the size of my pond is 360L x 240B x 110H cm. which is 21479 cu ft.

Comment

First and foremost we need to know what your source water for the pond ph is?

this will give us and idea of if and why the variance. If your source water is the same then that will help us understand what to recommend.

next I would look at the fish load or population. Crowding and unclean conditions can drag a ph down.

degassing and buffers can also help but first back to the PH that's your water is
        that you put into the pond!
        Dick Benbow

Comment

Your measurements put you at a maximum of 9.5 metric tons.

As Dick says we need more than just PH. KH GH Ammonia and nitrites of your source water and your pond water are vital.

Comment

[QUOTE=B.Scott]Your measurements put you at a maximum of 9.5 metric tons.QUOTE]

B.Scott,
            Do you have a conversion for metric tons to US gallons?

Comment

i m sorry.. i don't have.. i had jus counted.. now there are 11 kois in my pond.. 2 of it are show koi..

Comment

weewee,
                The show koi will be the first ones to die. If they are gasping at the surface, you have some serious stuff going on. You should concentrate on getting a massive water exchange and increased aeration. Before you can do a water exchange, you need to learn something about your source water (tap water, mains water). Is it chlorinated and what is the pH? If you have a pump, start pumping water into the air to splash and add oxygen. The fish could be on the surface because of gill damage or parasites, but the extra oxygen may buy a little time.

Akai,
                1 gallon = 3.785 liters
                264.2 gallons = 1,000 liters = 1 metric ton

steve hopkins

Comment

Call me funny but I just love working metric. If I had to go back to gallons an inches I would go nuts

Metrics are especially nice when doing meds and other treatments If you need to dose 1 mg/l (ppm) it's one gram per 1000 liter (= 1 ton or 1 cubic meter). Need to add salt to 0.3%? That's 3 kg per 1000 liters. It makes calculations much easier when you are stressed by some problem and more likely to make a mistake.
                  I have all the doses precalulated to the size of my pond and Q-tank on laminated cards. All I need to do is look at the card, weigh the stuff and dump it in the tank/pond.

B.Scott

Comment

Wee wee, Where are you from?

Comment

hey! i m frm singapore.. but i m a malaysian.. yupx..

Comment

He he good to have you aboard Weewee. I thought you might be a bit closer. Guess I was wrong
                        B.Scott

Comment

haha.. yeah. you were wrong. how about you? where are you from?

Comment

Like it says under my avitar... Holland.

Comment

oh.. i see.. only relised it when u touch on it.. haha.. how long have you been rearing koi?

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X