nozomi spirulina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nozomi spirulina

have you heard about nozomi spirulina ? how is it ? and is it good for young koi ? (abt 20 cm)

thx

Spirulina is a form of algae that has color enhancing properties. It is often added to koi food. Breeders frown on giving this to tatagoi but will feed it to tatashita in order to make them more attractive for market. An excess will cause the shiro in fish to go orange in color and it can affect the development of hi in later years if fed to very young fish.
    B.Scott
    Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

hei...
      thank you ! so...should i mix it with other food or i just feed the koi like once a week or something ?
      and if i should mix it...wat should i mix with ? with food which contain wheat gearm or something like hai feng ( is it good ?) quick grow ? and wat is the proportion...

thx

Comment

Personally I don't use it at all. I would avoid giving it to fish in the first two years of life.

B.Scott
        Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

helo...

then wat do u feed them ?

Comment

helo...

then wat do u feed them ? is there any vegie of fruit or natural stuffs which is good for them ?

Comment

Originally posted by dim_queen7
              helo...

then wat do u feed them ? is there any vegie of fruit or natural stuffs which is good for them ?
              I would let the tosai grow naturally for the first 2 years...I guess it depends in what direction you want to go in this hobby. If you are goin to just have a water graden pond and want your koi to look nice then I suggest that type of food.
              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

i din get wat u mean by 'that type of food' sorry...but can u give me any suggestion for the food ?

thanx

Comment

i din get wat u mean by 'that type of food' sorry...but can u give me any suggestion for the food ?

thanx
                  What food do you have availible in your country? Hikari Wheatgrem is best and you can get it anywhere.

Comment

almost all kind are available i guess...yeah hikari also available too...and do u noe a product called nozomi ? and there is one type which is wheat germ too...how do u compared it with the rest ?

Comment

I feed plain old wheatgerm all year long. I feed AZoo brand and have had good results with it. I add some Zoe liquid vitamins on occasion. In the warm months we give the koi some watermelon, green veggies (ie lettuce, cabbage), shrimp, silkworm pupae. Note I said treat, not of those are staples. I never feed color foods as there is not need for the hobbyist to push the growth of color in a fish (and risk turning the shiro pink). Some hobbyists feed a high protein growth food in the warm months or a mix of it with wheatgerm. I personally have not found the need to do that. My wife has little problem getting our 3-4 year koi into the 28" (size 6) range. MCA
                      Attached Files
                      Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

almost all kind are available i guess...yeah hikari also available too...and do u noe a product called nozomi ? and there is one type which is wheat germ too...how do u compared it with the rest ?
                        Any Wheatgrem koi food is good...Nozomi, Ogata, Hikari, Azoo, Hai Feng all these are good...Wheatgrem can be feed all year round. Me I am personnally feeding Ogata right now until June when I switch to Hi-Silk.

Comment

hi there dim queen

people usually go for wheat germ due to it being easier to digest in cold temperatures. But if you are in a warm climate all year round than i think wheat germ isn't as useful. i would go for a high protein mix. There are a few school of thoughts that spirulina should be left out until the koi is over 2 years or a certain size. Too much spirulina can cause the shiroji (white part) of koi to get worse and when coupled with low protein will direct the koi to developing colour and pattern more than growth in length. Momotaro uses their own koi food that has 39% protein and 3% spirulina. They feed these to their tosais past 20cm in length. A moderate concentration of high quality spirulina coupled with protein will develop colour and pattern without hindering the growth in length and affecting the shiroji. what ever you use you should aim for a food that is good quality (providing that it is within your budget) and highly digestable.

tewa
                          There is no such thing as a zero maintenance pond but the closer you get the more time to enjoy your koi. Soft low TDS water is the perfect pond water.
                          http://www.tewakoi.com

Comment

Those who have followed this board for some time may recall that this time last year I was trying to get a Shiro Utsuri to lose pinkish tones in her shiroji. It took many months to make progress, and I lost her before the pink fully went away. The prior summer I had included extruded spirulina in the mix of pellets fed all the koi. After that experience, I stopped feeding spirulina, except for what cannot be easily avoided. Many koi foods contain some spirulina to boost the protein content and to allow the manufacturer to tout color enhancing benefits of using their food. In fact, if you try to find pellets with no spirulina or carotene additives, you will have to read a lot of labels. Virtually all the pellets most conveniently available to me contain one sort of color enhancer or another. So, my desire to feed a wide mix of pellets comes up against a preference not to feed much spirulina, carotene supplemented foods.

Comment

Just because a product says wheat germ it may not be the same standard as hikari. Look at the ingredients list. Nozomi wheatgerm has fish meal and some other brands list spirulina down the list. Be a lable reader just like in food for humans.

Those who have suggested to stay away from color enhancing food with young tategoi told you right. It does affect negatively the color. But I would suspect you are buying tateshita which means you need to learn on these kind. Hai feng
                              puts out a decent food for tateshita (not show koi )

With feed use food according to it's protein % with wheatgerm used in lower temps and fishmeal in higher (growth ) temps.

The biggest mistake most learners do is feed too much. the secret is small amounts more frequently. If you find floating wastes, harden your heart and don't feed for a day. then come back the day after with half of what you were feeding. Upset digestion is not good for the koi and hard on the filters.

Be a student of the fish waste it will tell you if the food is right for the temperature and if your feeding too much!

one last thought. Many people buy big bags of food to save money. if it is stored incorrectly and gets old, you are feeding koi bad food. I would rather see you buy small bags and use them up quickly and maybe pay a little more
                              than feed old food. I buy big bags and reseal them in vacuum packed bags I seal myself in smaller amounts! Right now at 58 F I am feeding hikari wheatgerm and barley that I cook myself.
                              Dick Benbow

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X