Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by powerman View Post
    number 33 is in my top 5

WAYYYYY to dark (it will have three spots of white on an all black fish), but it may be a beautiful fish in the pond

Comment

I think this fish will turn out ok. I am not a fan of this type of sumi so I will save it for you if I get to pick ahead of you.

Steve

number 33 is in my top 5

Comment

for my #3 pick...

i'll pick one with lots of sumi. i know,i know, everybody say those will end up with too much sumi. hmmm....i always wonder about that theory.

Comment

Originally posted by moikoi View Post
          i'll pick one with lots of sumi. i know,i know, everybody say those will end up with too much sumi. hmmm....i always wonder about that theory.
          Depends

If the sumi is already up, more could come and make it a very heavy patterned fish. You have to look closely at the underlying sumi surrounding those areas and try to picture what the rest of the sumi might do. Sometimes, as it thickens, it will pull in from the surrounding areas to "tighten up" the pattern. Other times, it may add that additional area to the heavier colored areas and make the pattern larger/heavier. You just have to roll the dice and take your chances along with the rest of us. I have had Omosako Tosai in the past a few times, but none from Musashi or Panda.

HenryC

Was the more recent photo of your shiro taken here or while she was still in Japan? I have no idea how Omosako could have projected how the face would finish on that fish - that is one gorgeous animal!

Mike

Comment

Luke,

I think 60 is the best, unfortunately my old lady won't let me buy any koi right now

41 made my list as well (I think the pic is bad though..)
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by dubtaco View Post
              Luke,

I think 60 is the best, unfortunately my old lady won't let me buy any koi right now

41 made my list as well (I think the pic is bad though..)

"HEY, NO COMMENTS FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY."

Comment

Originally posted by luke frisbee View Post
                WAYYYYY to dark (it will have three spots of white on an all black fish), but it may be a beautiful fish in the pond
                this is a learning process for me...i see the body confirmation and the size of the head and tail peduncle....this fish looks like it will have a nice size and shape.....the pattern is full but i was thinking that as the fish grew that maybe the pattern would not cover so much....as in when you pick a young kohaku don't you allow for growth and start out with lots of beni...also i liked the quality of the sumi..i think it will come in later and be more of a laquer black than some of the others......but like i said i am trying to learn....i would be happy to watch this fish grow in my pond

Comment

this is a learning process for me...i see the body confirmation and the size of the head and tail peduncle....this fish looks like it will have a nice size and shape.....the pattern is full but i was thinking that as the fish grew that maybe the pattern would not cover so much....as in when you pick a young kohaku don't you allow for growth and start out with lots of beni...also i liked the quality of the sumi..i think it will come in later and be more of a laquer black than some of the others......but like i said i am trying to learn....i would be happy to watch this fish grow in my pond
                  Powerman,
                  I'm trying to get some smacktalk going...jeez Does your mother make you wear those shoes?

Comment

Originally posted by luke frisbee View Post
                    Powerman,
                    I'm trying to get some smacktalk going...jeez Does your mother make you wear those shoes?
                    Luke

And to think, you only had ONE BEER!?

Actually, I think most are afraid to post their ideas on picks for fear of skepticism or perceived ridicule?!? Or they just don't want to tip their hand in hopes that their idea of the best available fish will be gone before their turn comes up!?

Mike

Comment

I'll go with selfishness

Comment

You are up late tonight there Luke. I am going to go warm up I've been out shoveling tonight's snow. I've had to clean six inches off the green house.
                        I think 171 could have a chance to be a big fish. It just has a little bit of it's red headed cousin in it.

Comment

I'm only part way through the photos and have yet to pull them side by side to compare, but so far my list is as follows (not necessarily in this order). Work keeps getting in the way of finishing this up!!

104, 106, 139, 150, 152, 158, 162, 40, 51, 165, 73, 81, 83.

Long way to go yet!! These selections were based on body structure pretty much.

One thing I've learned about Shiros as babies...when they grow they seldom look as they did as babies. For me they are the hardest to pick as wee ones.
                          2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
                          AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
                          July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
                          http://www.umkoiclub.org/

Comment

At first pass, it was challenging to see them all without dismissing most of them.. for fish we buy for home, I usually am looking at Nisai or sansai. So I especially suck at picking tosai I hate picking tosai for future....LOL Many can pick a fish ready for show compared to future....as the days go by., and a couple more views, along with you'alls input, more looks...I found myself going by a couple mantras... show future (with a decidely different pattern than what we already have).. which isn't the contest of course, and looking for, as someone said, the most "ugly ones"... as the best development chance. Course long term show future is questionable, as how many tosai will the breeder let go as tosai that truely have a future at 26-30"? Psst.. I am hoping there's a couple in the group. Unfortunately when I saw good conformation, often the future pattern would not be there and visa versa...many liked # 60, so did I. So of course it won't be there when I pick. But there are at least 10 others that IMO got at least one 5 out 5 on either conformation or pattern. Lots of 4's many in both categories, but again this is based on a curve vs each other in this group. Overall a nice and varied group to pick from.

for sharing and learning a few of those on my shorter list as seen through the lens above that haven't been mentioned that I noticed. #108, # 125,#127, # 139b, #142, #146. My top 25 list won't be culled further than that 25 until we see what we have left to pick from. What I found helpful was to make a seperate file folder for the top choices, copy the pix of all the "4-4's" and above into it and then concentrate on just those. could get down to just a couple right quick from there when the time comes by pulling the already picked fish out.
                            Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

I like #203 very white, the indigo sumi underneath just reads greatness...
                              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Bob

I guess inquiring minds think somewhat alike. I too have rated several and eliminated all those that didn't rate at 4 or 5. Came up with about 58 possibilities. I created a folder for those, then reduced them further to the top 20(?) and put those in a separate folder as well. I looked at all the numbers you mentioned, and all but #108(due to torn pec) was on my list as well!. #60 was very high on my list too, but on as careful exam as possible, it looks like a male. I'm trying to "guess" which ones are female as well as better conformation and pattern. Unfortunately, I've had too many tosai shiro who's pattern,when selected, changed so much within the next year, they didn't come close to representing why I liked them at the start. After looking at HenryC's pics posted earlier here, it looks like wysiwyg on Omosako bloodline - but which bloodline was that fish from, Panda, Musashi, other? That would/could make a difference on how they develop as well.

I notice a trend on many of the fish posted. Many have a lighter grey with blue underneath, greyish/creamy heads and very thin lined motoguro, if any at all. While, others have a stronger shiroji and thicker black already showing. Some of these darker ones, to me, appear to be males that are finishing up earlier. But then, looking at the "tosai" picture of Henry's fish, it really becomes more confusing than ever.

I agree with you, that tosai are the most difficult thing to predict. I also agree that the breeder is not going to send any "high quality" females with growth/quality potential here for us to buy for $75 each! So, most of us will probably end up with males, others with females with less than ideal patterns but very nice quality, and others with fish they will move on after a year or two.

All in all, however, this should be a lot of fun, and a great learning experience for selecting Omosako tosai shiro.

Mike

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                                Working...
                                X