Kindai showa changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindai showa changing

First two photos were posted in a thread on November 22nd of 2004 when I purchased the koi. The next two photos were taken last week. Sumi now starting to appear on the head and shoulder area. Thought I would share...
    Attached Files

kindai showa

Hi Dan

Thats a very nice showa - any details - size , age etc?

Regards
    James
    http://www.nipponnishikigoi.com/

Comment

James....The Breeder is Ooya...tosai....10 1/4 inch.

Comment

Very nice looking Koi, but to be honest, I doubt that the underlying Sumi on the white ground will ever develop. I think you will end up with Kage Sumi on the white ground, and solid Sumi on top of the Kohaku pattern.

But, would very much like to be proved wrong! Enjoy the Koi, have fun!

Goodnight for now,

Mike.
        www.yumekoi.com

Comment

I like it !!!

Keep us in the loop on it's development. I think it would make the fish more interesting if some kage sumi does develop on the shiroji. I attached a picture of one of my projects to share with you guys.
          Attached Files

Comment

Dan,
            Nice to see you on the board again! Your black always seems to do well in your and Rod's ponds. I think you found out what you pond is good for!
            Dick Benbow

Comment

MichaelS: What do you see/not see that leads you to that conclusion?

Comment

Erwin, I got a fuzzy pix of that showa from November. 12-15" size class. When was your picture taken? Seems smaller then.

Edit: OOopps. Wrong Showa. Sorry.

Mike, thanks for asking the question I was thinking.
                Attached Files

Comment

Dan, I like the Showa, true Kindai...I agree with Mike S that I don't think there will be more sumi to come up, but anything can happen. I like the Kohaku pattern it gives it more of elegant look, maybe if there wasn't and sumi on the nose it would make for a nice Sanke. Keep us posted on it.
                  The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Here is my kindai showa project...2 year comparison (both original shots taken in the same bowl) that I have composited.

The breeder is Marudo, purchased November 2003 as nisai.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS
                      Erwin, I got a fuzzy pix of that showa from November. 12-15" size class. When was your picture taken? Seems smaller then.

Edit: OOopps. Wrong Showa. Sorry.
                      Jason, this is a new showa I just got last month. Tosai, approx 8", a traditional style showa. I have to give credit, where's it's due; Aquitori is currently housing/raising it for me. He has a nack for raising tosai and developing excellent confirmation.

Comment

Delaney

Glad to see you posting again. Nice comparison shot! Your reds have held well
                        and the body shape is coming on nicely!

Thanks for posting, my kindai pictured on the board is 6 this spring
                        Dick Benbow

Comment

Originally posted by dick benbow
                          Delaney

Glad to see you posting again. Nice comparison shot! Your reds have held well
                          and the body shape is coming on nicely!

Thanks for posting, my kindai pictured on the board is 6 this spring
                          Dick--thanks for the encouragement. Your showa is gorgeous!

Comment

I hope Mike Snaden logs on and explains what leads him to think Dan's will have kage Sumi in the Shiro.

A few months ago I posted on a couple of boards asking whether the quality of the Sumi over the Hi plates was a reliable indicator of future Sumi development on the adjoining Shiro. The responses were generally that it was, although nobody who knows koi would ever take an absolute stand on future development. I expect MikeS has experience with a line of Showa that leads him to his prediction, and something about Dan's Showa causes him to analogize them. ...Attached is the Showa that caused me to ask. Pics taken during 5th growing season.

Comment

MikeM, I will try my best to explain the reason behind Dan's showa low expectation of tsubo sumi. At the cull time if no solid tsubo sumi developed it is the ground for rejection, regardless the condition of sumi over the beni. Has even one small spot of good/developed tsubo sumi among the sea underlying sumi, it's a keep. And if that showa is a female then , he he!, you go to the secret heated greenhouse for another year!
                              It is difficult to judge from the pictures and human breeders are not perfect either! But I must agree with Mike S. Donald

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X