The 7th China National Koi Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 7th China National Koi Show

Dec 21st was the judging day and it was open to the public on 22nd and 23rd. It was held in Dongguan, Guangdong (or Canton) Province in south of China, close to HK.
    All the judges were invited from Japan by the organiser and as you can see, there were some well-known faces.
    All photos were extracted from www.chkoi.net, one of koi websites in China and in Chinese.
    Attached Files

more photos of the champions
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Funny how sub-titles are not needed since koi shows are so similar around the world.

And idea how many koi, how many entrants? And what was the size break point for showing in bags vs. tanks?
      Don Chandler
      Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Comment

Alot of notiable judges, Shinkokai Style...I see:

Ogata, Sakai(Hiroshima), Futoshi(Dainichi), Toshio Sakai(INC), Narita...whoelse....
        The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Tony

After reading your post, I went back and took a second look. I can't find Toshio Sakai in any of the photos posted, but I think I see Nogami!?

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by koiczar View Post
            Tony

After reading your post, I went back and took a second look. I can't find Toshio Sakai in any of the photos posted, but I think I see Nogami!?

Mike
            I stand corrected...it is the back of someone else's head...In one of the blurry pics I see Hosikin(Blurry eye glassed person)?
            The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Very nice Kohaku.

It must be quite an experience for the Japanese judges to be honored by being called upon to judge the China National Show. Although Japanese society has adjusted to being a major economic power in the world, there is still much respect for China as the original source of civilized practice and knowledge prior to the coerced opening to the West and the resultant Meiji restoration. All of the judges may not have a special feeling in being called upon to judge this show, but I expect many do.

The oft-spoken wish for nishikigoi to bring people together across borders has expression in this.
              Last edited by MikeM; 12-26-2007, 05:30 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by KoiCop View Post
                Thanks for sharing. Funny how sub-titles are not needed since koi shows are so similar around the world.

And idea how many koi, how many entrants? And what was the size break point for showing in bags vs. tanks?
                Pleasure
                I was only there for a short while and have not seen any official announcement yet. I could only say that there were many many participants. The size break point is probably 65cm. Hope I am not too wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori View Post
                  Alot of notiable judges, Shinkokai Style...I see:

Ogata, Sakai(Hiroshima), Futoshi(Dainichi), Toshio Sakai(INC), Narita...whoelse....
                  Thanks for your subtitile
                  I cannot recognise many of them.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                    Very nice Kohaku.

It must be quite an experience for the Japanese judges to be honored by being called upon to judge the China National Show. Although Japanese society has adjusted to being a major economic power in the world, there is still much respect for China as the original source of civilized practice and knowledge prior to the coerced opening to the West and the resultant Meiji restoration. All of the judges may not have a special feeling in being called upon to judge this show, but I expect many do.

The oft-spoken wish for nishikigoi to bring people together across borders has expression in this.
                    Hi Mike, as a matter of fact, most of the winners are Japanese bred and/or kept kois anyways, especially the jumbos. But among the smaller Bu winners and runner-ups, we are getting to see more and more domestic kois. I am attaching hereunder the 50Bu champion, another Kohaku, bred by a Chinese breeder using momotaro parents.
                    My impression is that for all the past 7 China National Koi Shows, the organiser has always invited Japanese judges. I agree with you that at least among the koi lovers, the idea of borders has been blurred to a degree, or maybe because the people who choose to have this habbit, are, by nature, not the border-sensitive species, haha!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yi: I am sure the breeder of the 50bu champion is deservedly proud. If it is female, she is rather thin, but has wonderful bone structure and body line. If it is male, which I would guess it is, the shiroji is remarkable.

Comment

How does the organizer keep the judges from picking their own dealer supplied fish?

JR

Comment

Originally posted by JasPR View Post
                          How does the organizer keep the judges from picking their own dealer supplied fish?

JR
                          That was a very good point and as a matter of fact, there have always been negative opinions. But I suppose it is always difficult, no matter where you are and what shows you go to, to be absolutely fair in such highly subjective games.

Comment

Originally posted by 西湖上人 View Post
                            That was a very good point and as a matter of fact, there have always been negative opinions. But I suppose it is always difficult, no matter where you are and what shows you go to, to be absolutely fair in such highly subjective games.
                            Not if one uses ZNA Judges. As highly trained amateurs they have no ties to the web of dealers and breeders.

As such, they are the antidote to highly political Shinkokai-style judging.
                            Don Chandler
                            Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Comment

Originally posted by KoiCop View Post
                              Not if one uses ZNA Judges. As highly trained amateurs they have no ties to the web of dealers and breeders.

As such, they are the antidote to highly political Shinkokai-style judging.
                              pls allow me to share one point....
                              For any judge, whether they are breeder/dealer related or not...all individual will have their preferences and professional judgment. It is always difficult for a third party to say 'fair' or 'unfair'......altho there is always this sensitive issues of 'conflict of interest'.

In fact, many of the professionals I know, they can almost identify which adult fish belong to which breeder/bloodlines. And many of them have prior encounter with those GC contestors when the fish were stil nisai/sansai.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X