No announcement yet.

I'm a bad boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if Ken says female, then female it is.... Shot 98% of my pond is male...As far as me selling any of them probably not ...If I am in LA me and the crew would like to see your pond that weekend of Ken's Show...Most likely I am not goin to show fish, probably just save my fish for ZNA...I got a couple of ringers to take Baby Grand Champion...HAHAHA....just joking...but for now I am grooming Erwinsan's SHowa and the rest of the tosais I have for ZNA.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Nice Showa Tom!!! Like it!
      Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

Hearing that from you Bob means a lot to me. Thanks!

Well today was the day to pick-up my new koi. I just put them in the QT tank and they a doing better. I would have took pictures of them, but the Tancho Sanke looked very stressed. I will get pictures of them soon. The Ginrin Ochiba is 53cm (21") long. The Tancho Sanke is 43cm (17") long, and the Showa is 40cm (16") long.

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Comment

I got a few pictures of the other kids today.

Comment

Nice Tancho Sanke, who's the breeder?

Comment

Aquitori the tancho sanke is a Torazo fish. Do you know anything about Torazo? I would love to hear what people have to say about him.

Tom

Comment

Torazo is probably one of the most famous breeder for Sanke'. I think the farm was est. in 1918 or something like that. Maybe Dick or Mike could eleborate more on this famous breeder.

Comment

Well, I'll share what I know, but with the caveat that mostly I read. First hand knowledge is limited.

The original Torazo ("Tiger") Sanke was known for its large, elongated blocks of Sumi, which some saw as being like a tiger's stripes ... not the impression created in my mind when looking at old pictures and drawings. To me, the original Torazo Sanke stands out from others of its day because the Sumi was not scattered over the body as was common back then. There are some interesting articles written in the 1980s about searching for the true Torazo strain. Today, the Torazo farm is still known in the west for Sanke based on the fame of the old strain, but Kohaku are the mainstay as far as I can tell. ... a Kohaku with fine size and strong bone structure, a creamy white and thick orange-red. They do not stand out at first glance because the whites are so soft, not a snow white; but I am told that the deepening of the Hi is excellent as they age. I do not believe I have seen a Torazo Kohaku over 6 years old. As you stare at them, however, the thickness of the Hi is powerful. Sharply defined edges make the pattern strong. Definitely quality koi. There are also Sanke raised, but a different strain than the historic Torazo Sanke. Like all the top breeders, the magoi blood introduced by Sakai has made its way into the Torazo line. There is a friendship between Torazo and Nogami. The lending of stock has affected these two fine breeder's lines. If you study them there is a similarity in bone structure of their Kohaku.

I've been interested in the Torazo farm's move into Showa. There is a friendship with Oomo, I guess through Nogami, and this is reflected in the Showa being produced by Torazo and Ooomo. These two breeders have different eyes, but there is a great deal of similarity in the look of their Showa ... heavy Sumi in large bands like in olden days, and strong tendrils of Sumi making exotic patterns, but the Sumi is high quality and the Hi is coming from Kohaku. There are other Showa breeders trying to combine old-style patterning with the highest quality lacquer black Sumi, but these two seem to be the ones whose work is making it to the West. I expect their best remain in Japan.

I am only aware of one source for Torazo Tancho Kohaku in the U.S. They are never cheap. Having a truly round maruten is rare from what I've seen. Most often there is a slight enlargement toward the nostrils, a characteristic that often seems to show on the Torazo Kohaku generally... at least from what I've seen.

Comment

Thanks Mike for the info...

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                    Working...
                    X