What makes this hobby great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes this hobby great

What makes this hobby great, is it the koi or the people?

I would have to say it's both. In the 8 or so years we have been in this hobby I have seen a lot of koi and got to meet a lot of people. Some of you have made days wonderful for me. The day I went up to Champion Koi & Genki Koi was one of those days you don't forget. Not only did I get to see some great koi at both places. I got to meet some great people. It was like I knew them all my life.

Another great day was at the Koi Kichi show. Not knowing some people and getting the chance to meet them was great. It was so fun watching Bob and his wife. It reminded me of me and my wife, but turned around.

People like Steve Childers is in a class by himself. Steve open his door and house to a total stranger, me. Steve had no idea who I was, but he invited me to his house for the weekend to spend it with him and his family. I have to say that was one of the best weekends of my life. Not only did I get to see some great koi and a great pond, I got to meet a great family.

Man, I can go on and on for day about all the people I have met over the years in this hobby. I just want to say thank to all those people and they know who they are.

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Tom

I agree with you,i have only had my first pond since october 04 but have already met some great people connected with this great hobby/life style

Dave A and Jules come to mind both very nice blokes and full of great advice for a novice like me.

Am glad to be amongst you all and long may it continue

cheers

Bedskoi

Comment

"I Love This Hobby" that's all can say!!! Great people and koi, from all around the world.
      The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

The People

Tom:

It's the people... Complete strangers willing to help one another... The world should take a lesson...

Aloha! Mike

Comment

Totally agree with you.

Nishikigoi have opened doors for me all over the world.

As you say - Koi Shows, always a good place to meet other koi nuts.

An observant Imigration official at Atlanta airport spotted a Koi pin on my jacket. My papers were stamped without any questions, we just talked Koi.

A supposed difficult customer meeting with reps of a Japanese Airline changed completely after my koi calendar and various koi pictures were noticed.

rgds
          South East Koi Club

Comment

Originally posted by Bern
            Totally agree with you.

Nishikigoi have opened doors for me all over the world.

As you say - Koi Shows, always a good place to meet other koi nuts.

An observant Imigration official at Atlanta airport spotted a Koi pin on my jacket. My papers were stamped without any questions, we just talked Koi.

A supposed difficult customer meeting with reps of a Japanese Airline changed completely after my koi calendar and various koi pictures were noticed.

rgds
            How bout' changing JAL's logo from a crane to a koi?

Comment

I've been involved with many hobbies over my life time but I have never seen
              a hobby that attracts so many cultures and nationalities as well as financial diversity. here in the USA and well as UK and Australia the hobby includes both sexes and young and old. In japan that ain't so!

Some of my closest friends are from koi or bonsai. They are all gosanke freaks but i love them all the same because I know sometime they will wake up and smell the yamabuki flowers.

"if it ain't bluey, then shame on youey"...... ( just kidding ) we may all collect different color varieties but we all seek the peace and tranquility that a healthy pond gives....
              Dick Benbow

Comment

This thread is about 2 years old now and alot of things have changed in that amount of time. We have seen our good friend Tom C, Jason S leave etc etc...and we have seen alot of people join. Those days were the good ol'days...Would some of you still think the hobby is as great as it was 2 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori View Post
                  .Would some of you still think the hobby is as great as it was 2 years ago?
                  It is better for me then it was 2 years ago. I've made some great friends in the last two years because of koi and I've increased my knowledge quite a bit in the last two years as well. I hope the next two are just as good.
                  Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori View Post
                    This thread is about 2 years old now and alot of things have changed in that amount of time. We have seen our good friend Tom C, Jason S leave etc etc...and we have seen alot of people join. Those days were the good ol'days...Would some of you still think the hobby is as great as it was 2 years ago?
                    Tony

I think for some it has changed. I remember my folks always saying, "Oh, those were the good ole days.." History has a way of repeating itself and now as I've gotten older, I can understand what my folks meant. I wrote some lyrics to a song back in 1969 (my hippy days) that may seem appropose for this thread....
                    "Times change,
                    and with it go the people,
                    ideas change,
                    and love fades away..."

Mike

Comment

People come and go in every hobby. Today's obsession becomes forgotten tomorrow. With many hobbies, there is just not enough involved to hold interest for long. Koikeeping involves so many aspects that the obsession can burn a long time, and then mature.

It seems to me that when well-known koikeepers leave the hobby it has a scare effect on the kichi who remain. So much is invested in terms of time, money and opportunities, I think it is a bit frightening that you might awake one day with no interest in koi. Unimaginable!... but it just happened to the person you hoped to emulate. What do you do with that pond when you decide your spare time will be spent as a glassblower?

The hobbyists I admire are the ones who have made their koi hobby a part of their lives and not an escape from life. Their hobby is not an obsession. It is simply part of living. That's mellow.

Comment

Ah, what makes this hobby great is spending the afternoon trying to figure out why one of your retro BD's is not sucking water. It's spending hours checking valves, changing valve settings, ect. and still only getting one of your two vac BD's to work. BUT....

Then sitting there after and watching the beautiful fish swimming so peacefully. All the frustrations of the day wash away, and you're left with the awe and peace of enjoying just watching them. They are my ultimate decompression tool! For me, it's all worth it!
                        Barb

Santa Clara Valley Koi & Water Garden Club

http://www.sckoi.com

Zen Nippon Airinkai Nor-Cal Chapter

http://www.znanorcal.org

Comment

Originally posted by KoiCCAPW View Post
                          Ah, what makes this hobby great is spending the afternoon trying to figure out why one of your retro BD's is not sucking water. It's spending hours checking valves, changing valve settings, ect. and still only getting one of your two vac BD's to work. BUT....

Then sitting there after and watching the beautiful fish swimming so peacefully. All the frustrations of the day wash away, and you're left with the awe and peace of enjoying just watching them. They are my ultimate decompression tool! For me, it's all worth it!
                          Barb, it was nice seeing you and Mickey today. I'll let you know on the goldfish when my neighbor is ready to cycle his pond. Have fun at the seminar tomorrow.

Tony

Comment

For me it's the people and the koi and the ponds. I love to tinker with the mecanics of the pond. I love sitting by the pond and simply enjoying. I absolutely love meeting the people that share this hobby and totally absorbing myself in it for a weekend at a show!! Nothing better. I sometimes think how sad it will be when I grow older and can no longer care for my precious fish and that part of my life becomes only a memory!! Hopefully I'll have many more years to share with others.
                            2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
                            AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
                            July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
                            http://www.umkoiclub.org/

Comment

This Hobby Gave Me A Lot Of Knowledge. Not Just From The Koi Itself. But Also From The People Within The Hobby. The Most Important Thing That I Learned Is That "patience Is A Virtue" For It Will Cost You A Lot Of Money If You Are Very Impatient And I Learned From My First Showing Instant Gratification Is Not At All That Fun. Along Comes With This Hobby Is The Husbandry Skill Needed To Keep The Beauty Of Your Priced Kois And Also To Keep Them Alive.

Michael

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X