Maruyama Kohaku

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maruyama Kohaku

I would be interested in comments and observations regarding the Kohaku of Maruyama. The characteristic that seems to stand out is the purity and brightness of the Shiro. The Beni seems a more brilliant red, but perhaps this is the effect of the Shiro?

BTW, one of our sponsors, Eastern Nishikigoi, has one listed on their site with a wonderfully dramatic pattern, but I do not think the photo was taken in the best light.

Mike,

Couldn't resist getting this Maruyama male kohaku to observe and grow on. It exhibits Maruyama's trade mark beni coined " Kagura Beni" meaning crimson red. It's hard to describe, but the red is a very deep red yet bright. The beni is dissimilar from my other Kohakus in this respect. Their color is best descibed as a brighter shade of orange. It will be most fascinating to watch this koi develope into it's 2nd and third years. Maruyama might be on to something since one of his Showas won the 2005 All Japan Tokyo Grand Championships.

Mark
    Attached Files

Comment

Mark, I like the pattern on your koi! I've been to the breeders place and it's pretty impressive.
      Dick Benbow

Comment

Mark: I like that. The Shiro has the very white look I mentioned. Not the same creamy white like on many fine Kohaku, but a more translucent white. And, that's a male. I think we would expect a shade more yellow in the head tones of most male Kohaku that size. The Maruyama website has not been updated for over a year, but it shows nisai females even more pure white. Perhaps it is the opposite of what I was suggesting ... rather than the Shiro making the red seem brighter, perhaps it is the Kagura Beni that makes the white seem cleaner.

Comment

Mike,

I believe that's exactly what the circumstances are: red making the white seem "whiter". I'm very curious how the color will evolve or devolve on this one... so much that I'm going to invest in good digital camera and do a chronological picture essay. See a future post on this in 18 months.

Mark

Comment

Mark: Don't wait that long!

Meanwhile, folks have any observations/thoughts on conformation, size, body type, development characteristics of Maruyama Kohaku??

Comment

..and another one.
              This is my Maruyama kohaku that won Baby Champion at the BKKS National 2002.
              I still have it, it's grown, still retains some quality but has a tendency to throw up a shimmie when none of my other kohaku's do!
              Attached Files
              Andrew

"Gentlemen prefer ponds"

Comment

A very nice young lady. ... any more recent pics?

You raise another question: Is there a tendency for shimmies.

Comment

Here is a photo of one of my Maruyama kohaku's, Hime - Mari. She is 30 inches and was GC at the Texas Koi & Fancy Goldfish Show in 2003. Maruyama Kohaku's are used as parent koi by many top kohaku breeders including Hiroshima sakai.
                  Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Comment

Mark, I have seen your kohaku in person. My wife really wanted that kohaku but I was looking for female. But look at that body yoru kohaku very nice.

Andrew very nice indeed....

Ray, I can only hope I can finish mine up and have that nice thick hi.

Here is a photo of mine..
                    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

I need to jump on the Maruyama Bandwagon...Maruyama is probably one of the best Kohaku breeders on the planet!!! I had a tosai which died year and a half ago...Nice flowery pattern which I think Maruyama is known for and the kagura beni....Well maybe I'll find one in my price range...

Keokoi, that's good you settled on buying a Kohaku from a well-known Kohaku breeder.
                      The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

MikeM,

This is most recent I have, Oct '03, and wow what a shimmie!!
                        That's no longer there but there's others!
                        Attached Files
                        Andrew

"Gentlemen prefer ponds"

Comment

Ray,

That Kohaku of yours is a very fine Koi!!! Very nice!

Andrew... sorry to say this, but I think yours will lose it's pattern soon.

Mike.
                          www.yumekoi.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Snaden
                            Ray,

That Kohaku of yours is a very fine Koi!!! Very nice!

Andrew... sorry to say this, but I think yours will lose it's pattern soon.

Mike.
                            Mike please explain what are you seeing that I do not, or do not know...
                            It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Hi Keokoi,

I trust that you are referring to Andrew's Koi? Anyway, the Kiwa is the giveaway, insofar as the Maruzome Kiwa has become exaggerated. It's not the flowery look of it, but they way that the Maruzome almost cuts in around the edge of the scale, and also the way one scale has become faint in colour up on the shoulder. Look at the first pic... the Kiwa is still pretty much Maruzome, but a lot smoother in it's run from scale to scale.

See attached pic and you'll see the areas I mean.

Mike.
                              Attached Files
                              www.yumekoi.com

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X