"Koi Clubs and Koi Shows"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Koi Clubs and Koi Shows"

Now I know I might be way out of line when I ask this, but what do you guys think about Koi Clubs not having a show every year? Cuz technically your not a "Koi Club" if you don't throw a show every year. Like a Ford Shelby Club who shows there cars every year, why can't some koi clubs do the same? I just wanted to ask, because to promote the hobby a show will do that.
    If I have offended anyone or any Clubs out there this is my opinion. I give props to those clubs who try to put on a show every year with not much of a budget.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Just wanted to get a poll.

1.Who in this board is in a club? You dont have to say your club name.
    2.Do you find you get more information on this Board than at club meetings?
    3.Do you feel your membership or fund raising money is well spent even if your club does not have a show?
    4.Do you feel you have enough say in a club to get your opinions a cross?

Comment

The Hawaii Goldfish and Carp Association, the oldest koi club in the country and host of the AKCA annual conference in 2004, does not have shows. Mike T has been trying to get something started with a show, but he seems to have an up-hill battle on his hands. I cannot explain why this is, but maybe Mike T or Akai-San can.

-steve hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by bekko
        The Hawaii Goldfish and Carp Association, the oldest koi club in the country and host of the AKCA annual conference in 2004, does not have shows. Mike T has been trying to get something started with a show, but he seems to have an up-hill battle on his hands. I cannot explain why this is, but maybe Mike T or Akai-San can.

-steve hopkins
        I think you should push the issue with your club...Like I said koi is here for everyone to enjoy and to get more people to spread the joy of keeping koi. Honestly a koi show will push a clubs memebership up.

Comment

yes to all the questions I do not think a club HAS to have a show every year to be a good club.. Look at MAKC
          Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

I agree! Cycling clubs are no different. You need to put on a race in order to have a club status and get sponsorship etc. Clubs should all need to put on a koi show to better the hobby and grow it.

Mike T, just let me know if you need help with that show. You know I am there for you!!!... Joe
            It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

You can have that Bob Winkler (no relations to the fonz) but cool guy be a judge..

I think Shila would have no objection...
              It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Answers to your questions:

1. Not a member of any Koi club
                2. This board especially and the internet in general, have far more information than the club I once went to.
                3. The money raised at the club I was once a member of, is generally well spent bringing new people into the hobby. It ends there though, and never really moved on, just kept repeating itself.
                4. The club was a bit 'clicky', but perhaps I should have tried to get involved more. But felt the circular motion of the club wouldnt do me too much good.

Would like to join a club of like minded people - think this is it and we're in it guys!
                Regards, Bob
                ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º>
                <º}}}}>< <º}}}}><

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Winkler
                  yes to all the questions I do not think a club HAS to have a show every year to be a good club.. Look at MAKC
                  Cool, just wanted to see what other peoples thoughts were with a "Koi Club" not having a show.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hart
                    Answers to your questions:

1. Not a member of any Koi club
                    2. This board especially and the internet in general, have far more information than the club I once went to.
                    3. The money raised at the club I was once a member of, is generally well spent bringing new people into the hobby. It ends there though, and never really moved on, just kept repeating itself.
                    4. The club was a bit 'clicky', but perhaps I should have tried to get involved more. But felt the circular motion of the club wouldnt do me too much good.

Would like to join a club of like minded people - think this is it and we're in it guys!
                    Same here, I think I got most of my info from my dealers and net. Anyways I would consider joining a club but none fit my personality.

Comment

Originally posted by keokoi
                      I agree! Cycling clubs are no different. You need to put on a race in order to have a club status and get sponsorship etc. Clubs should all need to put on a koi show to better the hobby and grow it.

Mike T, just let me know if you need help with that show. You know I am there for you!!!... Joe
                      Hey I am always down to support a koi show, a koi show weather you like or not is party of this hobby if you show or not show...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Winkler
                        I think the MAKC is pretty much up to standard with Japan with throw a good show every year, my hats off to you guys.

Comment

Our Orlando Area Koi & Pond Club has never had a show, nor its predecessor clubs as far as is known, but we have been fortunate to have the best show in Florida in Orlando for several years ... the All Florida Koi And Pond Show, and have co-sponsored it with other clubs. After AFKAPS collapsed following the last one, the clubs in Tampa, Daytona, Gainesville & Orlando areas teamed up with ZNA Southern Koi Association to create the new Central Florida Koi Show .... coming up in early March. It is going to be bigger and better than any before it in Florida. Still, not our club's show ... members will be helping all over, but the show is really independent of any one club. Simply a great time of year to have a show in Orlando. So, we are going to put on a little young koi show in the Fall. A real show of our own. It will not be worth traveling very far to attend, but everyone has to start somewhere. Perhaps in a few years it will serve the purpose of growing the club, but for now it is for the enjoyment of the members.

Comment

Oh, on your other questions ... learn far more from reading and the boards than any other source, but nothing is better than seeing other folks' koi in person. I know there are members who would drive an hour thru traffic to help me out on a problem if I needed it. There is friendship in scales, even if we are not ZNA.

We try to educate members, but we are a small club and it can be a challenge when people are at many different knowledge levels. What fascinates me might be incomprehensible to someone else, or really boring ... like, not many people enjoy hours of discussion of Sumi !

We do not do much fundraising, and what we have done has mainly paid for show tanks and contributions to worthy causes, like the AKCA KHV fund. It is pretty low key ... just koikeepers getting together pondside and enjoying the company of others.

Comment

Just to set the record straight:

MAKC has an annual koi show every year. We also have two young koi shows a year in addition. JR

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X