Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Shimis

Originally posted by JR
    Some are tiny dots of black on the surface of the epidermis that can actually be easily scraped or eroded away chemically.
    JR
    I almost hesitate to ask this question, as I would hate to contribute to people injuring their fish, but how exactly do people remove these tiny dots?

I was reading about a show where the judges were wondering why a hobbyist didn't remove such spots. Is this considered ethical?
    ChrisC

I have removed with my finger nail and also a scalple if I the white they seem to come off easier.

rick

Comment

If the koi is of show quality then I would remove the shimi, but if it was just an ordinary fish then who cares. Yes you can scrape off the shimi if it is just above the scale. On the skin you can use chemical treatment.
      The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Chris,

Water has a lot to do with it. All of us have experience kohaku that never get shimmies in our water and others that do, Same water different koi. My koi kichi

put a kohaku out in a local dealer's grow pond last summer and the red improved and shimmies went away!

from a show standard a shimmie is a deduct. if the koi is so superior over others it's not a problem. if the contest is close and heated it can be a point to allow for an easier decision as to who wins.

Put the koi under anestesia and attempt to scrape the shimmie off with a thumb nail.

it can be that easy. if it's not surface but under the skin, you might want to reconsider more invasive procedures in favor of living with it. Dealer's in japan deal with it every day and it's no big deal.

I think each hobbyists has to make a decision for themselves. find a koi kichi and talk them into boarding the koi and see if you can reverse the trend!
        Dick Benbow

Comment

Has anyone besides me have heard of hobbyist tatooing there koi?
          The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Not a koi post, but... I recently bought some goldfish from China. They had "cleaned up" the pattern on several by plucking out small groups of scales! I guess goldfish are not screwed up enough as it is.

-steve

Comment

Thanks for the advice, all. The shimi so far is tiny and on the scale--I'm guessing it will scrape off.

On the up side, my shiro utsuri looks spectacular!!
              ChrisC

Comment

hope you'll be able to start posting pics soon!

our digital went bye-bye in the break in.
                Dick Benbow

Comment

Dick--that's terrible. Sorry for your loss.
                  ChrisC

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                  Working...
                  X