A few new ones hit the pond today!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few new ones hit the pond today!!!

These are the newest additions to the Brutuscz pond. The Showa is 9inch from Suzusei(praying for a female). The Goshiki is a male from Kanno..14+inches. I have named him Phelps!!!! The female kohaku is 19+inches from Yamamatsu..born in 2006. Very full body..great height.
    The gin shiro utsuri is 5inches from Blackwater creek. The sheen is nice and the pattern is well balanced..so, it was worth a growout.
    Opinions are welcome...and appreciated.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Your choices seem to be rising in overall quality lately... am I sensing a trend away from mettalics and gin rin?

The one of most interest to me is the Yammatsu. There is a beni issue with stray red scales separated on the flank. However, the body shows well. Let's see what happens by Fall.

Comment

my thoughts run similar to Mike's. Thinking on the Yamatsu Kohaku that no special effort be made to push the growth issue.
      Dick Benbow

Comment

Funny you should mention that Mike...here are some others from this season. A 3-4inch doitsu hariwake. A ginrin Goromo, a kikokuryu and a butterfly hariwake. I only have 2 butterfly in my pond..not a huge fan. But, this one really caught my eye. Excellent sheen and fins. I can picture it at 24inches very easily. I still love shiny things..lol. Kujaku are my favorites. But..I appreciate the advice on the kohaku. I think my photo made the beni look worse...it was indoors with a flash. I find this always makes beni seem lighter. Looks much deeper when seen live.

I think my reason for the ginrin and metallics is I have great access to blackwater creek koi. One of their biggest wholesaler/retailers in the country is 5 minutes from my house. That farm happens to do metallics and ginrin very well. So, I see them regularly. Seems they are bred mostly from Suda stock.
        Attached Files
        sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Comment

Yep. The Blackwater approach is interesting. Joe's focus is all business. I do not know a koi breeder who so truly loves the business side the way Joe does. The market wants lots of volume of shine and sparkle. (And, unique ones that are plain different.) He supplies it and can market like nobody else. At the same time, he understands that to get the most shine and most sparkle, he has to use top quality breeders. His goal being a highly marketable tosai, the focus is not on the genes for size, etc., but for the product he wants to provide. He also appreciates that time spent culling adds incremental value at a high cost. His folks do cull, but to a far lesser extent than we generally talk about. For the discerning hobbyist, the opportunity exists to find a rather inexpensive metallic with real potential, albeit at a smaller length potential than the typical Best of Variety in the Hikari classes. In effect, it is left to the customer to have the eye to do the selecting that a top Japanese breeder would do. Is it 1 in 100,000? Or, 1 in 10,000? ...Lots of searching and false starts to find that 1. It can be fun. There are other volume producers in the U.S., but I do believe Joe produces a better quality than most, and has bio-security down pat.

BTW, I personally think no koi pond is complete without a Yamabuki. I'm still waiting to see in person a Kujaku with size that doesn't look a mess. Hariwake are so much simpler to have reach a solid peak, but few serious koikeepers seem to care for them. Maybe the Kujaku challenge has a big dose of the 'dream factor' JR and DickB have been mentioning lately?

Comment

Mike..you did see I won GC this year with my kujaku?? I bought this one last year from Kaneko. It was a small show...but, I was proud of this koi nontheless. Art Lembke was the judge...he said it would have done well in any show in the country. ...Also said...if it's for sale???
            You would have to pry this one out of my cold dead hands!!! Bought it from Kodama in auction. A Male no less!!! Had to name him Ironman!!
            To be honest..I thought my ginrin kohaku from ogata was going to win the show. It lost to a ginrin showa...and then my kujaku beat the gr showa. Then..My kujaku went up against a large yellow matsuba from the same owner of the Ginrin showa. Me and that guy had a real seesaw battle going. From what I've heard...he is really hunting for something to settle the score with next season. I hope this Yamamatsu kohaku will be up to his challenge!! It has made for a very exciting koi season.

I agree, Joe is an excellent breeder. But..for the varieties he really cares about(or sells well!!!). My local dealer gets tens of thousands of his koi yearly. So, my access is good. I just wouldn't count on him for gosanke. I get lucky here and there...but, not that often.
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
            Working...
            X