What would you do with $50,000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do with $50,000?

What would you do with $50K free money, mind you could only spend the money on your koi hobby...

If it were me I would go to Japan and buy $50K worth of Nisai and leave them all to grow on....or maybe buy one good piece and bring it home? naw a waste of free money....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Perfect koi pond

I'd design and build the "perfect" koi pond -- 50,000-60,000 gallons, 3 pumps, massive filter system, bottom drains, skimmers, aerators, settling chambers, and "fines" scrubbers, all fully enclosed in an environmentally-controllable room.

Comment

Tony, I am 100% with JanetMermaid on this: why spend money on a koi you can never bring home because your facilities are not up to snuff?

I know you have VERY good pond and quarantines, BUT do you have a suitable place for a $50,000 koi? :-) I know I don't (maybe some day...dreaming).
      Arthur

Comment

Well, I think you'd need to downsize that pond a bit on that limited a budget.

Tony: I think I'd rather just dream of all the ways to spend it, but keep it in the bank. Then I could still dream about it again, indefinitely. If I spent it, then the wishing would be somewhat bittersweet.

Comment

Putting things into perspective

Very good point, why buy a koi of that caliber only for it to go down because one lacks the facility to keep that quality up. Before anyone buys or considers buying a koi of this caliber make sure you're just as ready in your koi husbandry skills.

I know people can afford a $50K koi; but as a hobbyist, consider the koi first, not the price tag. And if it's only a trophy you're after it would be much cheaper to buy a trophy and spare the koi.

Comment

I'd pay janet mermaid to come spray my pond in Polyurea....NAKED.
            i don't think I'd have much money left...janet?

but um well? I'd give the rest to This Koi bito guy for a lifetime subscription..

and if I couldn't get either of those for 50 large, I'd buy 20 acres in Northern Florida and put in some breeding and mud ponds.

Comment

MikeM might have it right about the size pond you can get for 50 thou. I'm trying to build one that big, and do it right, and it has already cost me $7000, and I foresee another $7000 before it is done. But the time and energy I've put into it over the past 5 years is waaaay over $50,000.

Comment

50 grand, I would have to say invest, invest, invest, into what I would have to think about it

Comment

I'd pay off the debt I am already in with koi. Buy some koi in Niigata to support from recent events. Then I might have few bucks for to take out my boys to go eat some noodle! (LOL)
                  It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

think I would change it into £, but then I would have less money to play with , would build a very nice pond, now if I had £50,000 that would make a very nice pond indeed.

Still dreaming

Regards
                    Chris

Comment

state of the art greenhouse. Lots of light, warm enough to melt snow, easy to vent hot air, no more flukes, blue heron, raccoon etc ( and i might find a way to fit a few bonsai in )to add some nice green to compliment all the blue in the pond!
                      Dick Benbow

Comment

Udon? or Pho'? I'm down for noodle, Hell yeah!!!

Originally posted by keokoi
                        I'd pay off the debt I am already in with koi. Buy some koi in Niigata to support from recent events. Then I might have few bucks for to take out my boys to go eat some noodle! (LOL)
                        The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by dick benbow
                          state of the art greenhouse. Lots of light, warm enough to melt snow, easy to vent hot air, no more flukes, blue heron, raccoon etc ( and i might find a way to fit a few bonsai in )to add some nice green to compliment all the blue in the pond!
                          Dick, by listening to you I have taking a liking to bonsai. and have checked out many of books. I think I'm in trouble... but really intersting nevertheless. its got me hook line and sinker...

Tones I forget to add Bonsai to my 50k .. Your choice Tone but after Dick reminded me of my bonsai addiction Udon or PHo can't afford talking packaged ramen now
                          It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Id give it to a japanese breeder to help them rebuild from the earthquake Ok, that was to much like a cheezy "miss america world peace" thing right.

So id probably spend $10,000 and take me and a friend back to japan to buy a few koi. Spend another $20,000 on about 10 koi. Then have those koi grown out in japan for the next 2 years (price of that included in the 20k). While the koi are being grown out, I make another $20,000 in upgrades to my existing pond. Which since I can be my own contractor, I can do for materials only.

Sound good ?

Comment

Originally posted by keokoi
                              Then I might have few bucks for to take out my boys to go eat some noodle! (LOL)
                              Noodles it is.

Freebie $50K... Take a vacation in Niigata and Southern Japan and bring home some nice "souvenirs".

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X