No announcement yet.

Momotaro Kohaku 46cm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW! I really like the shiroji!! Beni is really dense. Really thick tail joint. $110 you got a deal!! Great koi keeping stills, hats off to you!!
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Disgusting! (I am very jealous)

30+ koi in 12-ton pond with good growth, you must have something up your sleeves!
      Bancherd

Thai Koi-Keepers' Group

Comment

i think you have a high water temp all year??

i live in holland so i will never get the growth rates you get due to water temp
        (heating is sooooooo expensive here!!!)

wilco

Comment

Your dealer either made a math mistake or was feeling very guilty about something. I think I need you to negotiate for me next time I'm buying. Very nice. ... But, I do think you need to seriously consider reducing the population in your pond. You are really stretching the capacity. That one needs room to reach full potential.

Comment

WOW~!! I second what Mike said.

Good points IMO: Fairly Good pattern, Beni, tail stop, Body, Body shiroji, growth rate, skin (from picture).

Bad points IMO: Pattern touches the eyes, therefore balance, head shiroji (which may come later), and the possible "hardness" of the beni. That last part may only be because it is a picture. Worried about pattern "weakness"/fading or possible Hikkui later on. Head a bit pinched in the nose area?? Course this is all being REALLY picky.

Definately a koi worth taking a chance on. I have started doing similar things as what it seems you are doing. While I primarily still buy 2 and 3 year olds, I like to buy a group of 5-6 tosai from my favorite breeders about every other year, grow them up and see what happens. Paying about what you did, one can get some pretty decent koi. Congratulations on your skill in rasing it so far.
            Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

don't be fooled by the 12 ton pond in Kuala Lumpur, (or the 'muddy port', which it means). It rains a lot over there that the pond is getting constant water change over the whole year. There are 2 monsoons periods, plus the 'sumatra' thuderstorm. we don't see the same of kind of rain here in N. America. If you visit Kuuala lumpur, after a down pour, half of the city is flooded, and that is rain.

stan

Comment

Originally posted by RogerMoo
                Hi Guys,

This momotaro kohaku is one of my 30+ koi I have in my 12ton pond. Half of my koi are in the 60+cm size. Bought from one of the local dealer last October 04 at 24cm and today is 46cm. And I paid only RM400 (US$110) for it!

Incredible thing is that koi grows in my pond eventhough the density is heavy and the reasons I attribute to these koi doing so well is due to (1) genes (2) good quality water (3) good quality food pellet.

What are your opinions on it?

Cheers
                Very nice!!! I do have one question... What's your water turn-over rate? Meaning how much water do you change from your pond in a day, week, month, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by erwinsan
                  Very nice!!! I do have one question... What's your water turn-over rate? Meaning how much water do you change from your pond in a day, week, month, etc...
                  And I'll ask the other part of the 'turn-over rate' -- how often is the pond volume passed through the biofilter(s)? I recall 45 minutes being the time for the 1500 ton pond...

Comment

Roger,

another new addition to your pond? looks very impressive! i assume you've been camping out at Kepong again...

Regards,
                    derrick

Comment

I am not convinced about far infrared rays, etc., but there are certainly benefits to using trickle towers and high volume Bakki-type Shower systems. The de-gassing effects are a marvel. Everyone I know who has gotten a BS set up or a DIY version says it has made a huge improvement in water quality and fish health. ......However, I still think you are overcrowded, but tough to argue with success.

Comment

Hi Erwinsan,

You would be suprised if I tell you that I only do 10%-15% water change once a week and I jet-sprayed clean the matala filters. One thing for sure is that I do heavy feeding - like 5kg food pellet per week.
                        WOW! Either you have a very efficient filter or the size ratio of your filter to the pond must be big and maybe both. How about some insight to your filter and pond set up

Comment

How long has your pond been up and running? By US standard your pond is roughly 3000 gallons? You have Bakki Shower on the back end of your filter setup what is on the front end? Settling? Bio(j-mat)?

Hi Guys,

This momotaro kohaku is one of my 30+ koi I have in my 12ton pond. Half of my koi are in the 60+cm size. Bought from one of the local dealer last October 04 at 24cm and today is 46cm. And I paid only RM400 (US$110) for it!

Incredible thing is that koi grows in my pond eventhough the density is heavy and the reasons I attribute to these koi doing so well is due to (1) genes (2) good quality water (3) good quality food pellet.

What are your opinions on it?

Cheers

Comment

Are you sure that's U.S. dollars? ..... If so, the dealers in the U.S. must have a price-fixing conspiracy in place.

A worthy koi at a very fair price.

Comment

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/attach...tachmentid=834

Unfortunately this Momotaro sanke joined her friends in the sky. Mistake made was introducing some koi from a friend's pond without going through the proper procedure of quarantine or heavy pp bath before placing them in the pond, and the whole pond was infected with some unknown bacteria/parasite which kills some of my koi. That was before the ZNA 5th Malaysia Koi Show 2005 in the month of May.

The funny thing is this - the few koi from my friend's pond that was placed in my pond did not die nor show any signs of infection eventhough I knew something was wrong with all the koi when I netted them for the show a week from then. (koi shows sign of distress) I was careless in the sense I didn't do a heavy pp immediately of which I did only 3 days after the show, which incidently was too late to save some.

Another round of 40kg of salt and another round of masoten managed to revive the rest.

The saddess part of koi keeping is that you lost the koi you loved most which seems to be the weakess! What say you?

Sorry to hear of your lose, it's always hard to lose something you try hard to raise. It's not the money side of it but the priceless devotion we all spend bringing up each and everyone of our kois. The one thing about this hobby is that you never want to take it for granted and that it will always bite you in the butt so to speak in the end. This should be a wake up call to everyone on this board always QT...

Comment

roger,
                                Sorry for your loss. That was indeed a very nice Momo sanke. I paid a lot more than what you paid for 2 momo tosai sanke. One was a total garbage after 1 year, and the second one is not growing at all.

BTW, I will be visiting KL in late Nov or early Dec. Don't know if I am invited to see your collection.

stan

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                                Working...
                                X