Summer Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Food

Can I get some feedback on what people use for their summer food regimen. I've been using Hi-Silk the last few years and have been very happy with the results. There's another food that was presented to me which I've never used so before I "invest" in my summer koi food I'd like to get some opinions.

Hi-Silk
    Protein 43.8%
    Fat 8.9%
    Fiber 10%
    Ash 7.6%
    Price (approx) $15/kg

Nobori
    Protein 40%
    Fat 4%
    Fiber 3%
    Ash 10%
    Price (approx) $9/kg

Thanks in advance...

Hi-Silk has always been good to my koi over the years and I have been using it for the past 4years.

Ingredients plays a big role in what you feed your koi. E-san I don't think you can compare Hi-Silk and Nobori side by side, it's like apples and oranges...Nobori is made from the same people that made Medicarp. I stopped using Medicarp because of the secondary hi it makes the fish get and it tends to bring down the shiroji of my fish.

My feeding this coming summer will be:

Morning: Wheatgrem (Hikari)
    Mid-day: Sweet Potato Pellets (Kawaguchi Shoten)
    Late Afternoon: Hi-Silk (Kawaguchi Shoten) and Sweet Potato paste food my own mix

I wont switch or take a gamble on using any other food at this point..it gets too expensive switching brands.
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Erwin-

We feed a mixture of Hai Feng wheat germ, Hikari wheat germ, and Hikari staple during the day, several times in small amounts. In the late afternoon, we feed a 50/50 mix of Izeki Ultra FDX snd Ultra F paste food. To this mixure we add some Refresh, some Chitonal, and some EsterC(vit C). Got the recipe from Kevin. Plan to try some Hi Silk this year in July and August. We like to give them canned peas once in a while, as well as grapefruit, and a few other veggies or fruits.
      We stopped feeding Medicarp for the same reason as Antionio, our shiros, etc started turning pink.

JJ

Comment

Can you tell us more about these Sweet Potato Pellets (Kawaguchi Shoten)

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Comment

my thoughts on the hi silk program is: if it ain't broke you don't have to fix it. sounds like you had a sucessful program so don't think I would make the change.

I had someone I respect suggest I try some of dainnichi's food and i am doing that now.
          Dick Benbow

Comment

Jo, nice to see you post on the board... Medicarp screws up the shiroji...

Originally posted by showanut
            Erwin-

We feed a mixture of Hai Feng wheat germ, Hikari wheat germ, and Hikari staple during the day, several times in small amounts. In the late afternoon, we feed a 50/50 mix of Izeki Ultra FDX snd Ultra F paste food. To this mixure we add some Refresh, some Chitonal, and some EsterC(vit C). Got the recipe from Kevin. Plan to try some Hi Silk this year in July and August. We like to give them canned peas once in a while, as well as grapefruit, and a few other veggies or fruits.
            We stopped feeding Medicarp for the same reason as Antionio, our shiros, etc started turning pink.

JJ

Comment

Does anyone have any information about the Momotaro Koi Food? I tried looking on their site and it refers me to the US distributor who does not have any information about the food on their site other than that they carry it.

Also, I keep seeing references from people about feeding Izeki Paste Food. Where are you all getting it? I have not been able to locate a distributor who has it in stock for about 2 years now.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve E
                Does anyone have any information about the Momotaro Koi Food? I tried looking on their site and it refers me to the US distributor who does not have any information about the food on their site other than that they carry it.

Also, I keep seeing references from people about feeding Izeki Paste Food. Where are you all getting it? I have not been able to locate a distributor who has it in stock for about 2 years now.

Steve
                Steve I don't think Momotaro koi food has made it in the US yet..

As far as Izeki paste food. You are probably hearing many using it still bcause of buying many bags. I know I have 1 1/2 bags left of Izeki it lasts a long time.

I would check into what aquitori is using Hi silk 21 for sure..

Redding California? Me thinks I have met you before by chance were you in Hawaii for AKCA seminar? and do you have well water??? Could be a coincidence.. Joe
                It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Steve,

Like Momotaro food Izeki is very hard to get it. When Izeki comes in it usually sells out as it comes in. Momotaro food we'll never get your hands on it.
                  If your looking for summer food I would try Hi-Silk...There are 2 Makers of Silk food:

Hi-Silk - Kawaguchi Shoten
                  Silk Power - Ogata

Both foods are good for growth while not to spoil the Shiroji. For Ogata Silk Power I would contact Eastern Nishikigoi (enkoi.com) they are the West Coast Agents and they should be getting a shipment in soon. For Hi-Silk I would contact Japan Koi Online (japankoionline.com) they have medium pellets availible still and are getting a shipment in soon.
                  As, for Izeki and Momotaro good luck finding it. Your better off goin to Japan and "hand carrying it in".

Originally posted by keokoi
                  Steve I don't think Momotaro koi food has made it in the US yet..

As far as Izeki paste food. You are probably hearing many using it still bcause of buying many bags. I know I have 1 1/2 bags left of Izeki it lasts a long time.

I would check into what aquitori is using Hi silk 21 for sure..

Redding California? Me thinks I have met you before by chance were you in Hawaii for AKCA seminar? and do you have well water??? Could be a coincidence.. Joe

Comment

The food is light in Protein. The active ingredients help prepare the fish for summer growing. I like to use this food to clean out the koi's liver before feeding heavily in the summer I also make my own sweet potato paste from Japanese yams...You can really see the difference come winter when the Shiroji just shines like snow.

Originally posted by Tom C
                    Can you tell us more about these Sweet Potato Pellets (Kawaguchi Shoten)

Comment

Joe,

I think you might have met another couple from this area who went to Hawaii. They actually live about 40 miles south of Redding. They are in the process of building a new pond and are on well water. Of course I do not know all of the koi keepers in Redding so it may have been some one else, but I doubt it. This area is a strange one for koi keepers. Everyone seems to want the water garden (read AS pond) with the pretty fish. And not much interest in high quality fish or showing. Most are after the cheapest feed they can get. I may have met you at the Camellia Koi Club show last fall. I definitely remember Erwin and he was with a couple of others from the same area.

I have been feeding Hikari Wheat Germ for the last two seasons. I get the sinking pellets from Koi Village by special order. For some reason my fish stopped eating the floating stuff. It may have been a short term thing and I will have to reconsider the floating pellets. Once I get the pond remodel finished and get some show quality fish I will definitely be looking at feed from the finishing/growth issue.

Steve

Comment

AH yes Steve.. I remember.. Very Nice shiro Utsuri you have.. Yes I met the Couple at Airport with Kevin... LOL koi world is a small world...

Joe
                        It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Hi Joe,

Wrong Steve. You are thinking of Steve Wieze. I was just one of the worker bees. Steve Wieze had some great looking koi at the show in addition to the shiro.

I am sure I will meet you all at the next event in Sac.

Steve

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                          Working...
                          X