Pics of this season's spawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of this season's spawn

Here are some pics of this season's spawn.
    Male Kujaku and female Doitsu Hariwake.
    What do you think?
    Jaco.
    EDIT Pic three is a Sanke of the previous year and pic four is a non metalic Hariwake called an Au Lait if I am not mistaken.
    Attached Files
    Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

It's always exciting to see the new crop! thanks for putting the sanke picture in also.
    Dick Benbow

Comment

Very nice Jaco! You get very fast growth there too. What made you switch from gosanke to hariwake?

-steve

Comment

Very nice. What do the parent koi look like ?

Comment

Hi Steve,

I spawned Metalics last year just for interest sake.
          Now I can say been there done that. I found it much less challenging than Go-Sanke.
          Greg, sory I do not ave pics of parent on hand to post.
          Here is an interesting set of pics for you guys.
          The Tobi in he middle of the net at the first culling and what it looks like now.
          Thanks for the replies.
          Jaco
          Attached Files
          Jaco Vorster
          South Africa

Comment

I see some nice shine to them, Jaco. ....It is curious how the doitsu scalation always varies so. I particularly stared at the one with parallel rows on each side of the dorsal. If you find a good high gloss one in the spawn with parallel rows and no surplus scales, keep it no matter the color pattern. You may not want to keep it forever, but when that sort puts on size, they truly give the impression of armored warriors. Worth taking space for a while to see the effect .... then pass on if you're not into doitsu.

Comment

Hi Mike,

I think that is where the problem lies for me, I do not like Doitsu fish and therefore these do not appeal to me at all. The full scalled Yamabuki's are my favorite
              Jaco
              Jaco Vorster
              South Africa

Comment

Jaco, did you get a whole bunch of black looking fry with yellow noses?

That was the result of my kujaku spawning. I have a few reasonable kujaku, but most were total junk.

I bought new males last October from Takigawa, they are stunning and hope it helps the percentage of keepers.

Maurice.
                http://www.koi-uk.co.uk

Comment

Hi Maurice,

I got more othe varieties than Kujaku,Matsuba,Hariwake,Asagi,Shusui,Kikusui and a bunch of 'New Varieties' lol.
                  The pic below gives you an idea of what the spawn looked like.
                  Jaco
                  PS When do we get to see some new pics from you, I enjoy following you're venture and is an ispiration to me and I guess a lot of folks here.
                  Attached Files
                  Jaco Vorster
                  South Africa

Comment

Jaco, I can see many in your culling net which have the look I refer to. From your net full, you had better results than I.

I've lost a lot of saved photos which I had planned to post, never mind life goes on. I'm still waiting for a card reader, so I can give you all an update on how things are going.

I'm running a little late, I'd planned on starting spawning about now, but I'm a couple of weeks away. Still. I'll be nowhere near as late as last year!!

I plan on harvesting the tategoi Hariwake pond next week, I'll post photos of a few.
                    Good luck and keep up the good work.

Maurice.
                    http://www.koi-uk.co.uk

Comment

Great stuff Jaco

I was wondering when u were going to start harvesting your youngsters.

Keep the pics coming!

Kiefer
                      KIEFER

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I am planning to net the previous season's Tosai next Sunday and will post some pics for you.
                        Jaco
                        Jaco Vorster
                        South Africa

Comment

Very interesting Jaco, I do like to see these sort of photo's posted.

How do you cull Metallics, what do you have to look for?
                          Regards, Bob
                          ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º>
                          <º}}}}>< <º}}}}><

Comment

Hi Bob,

I just looked for shine on the head and pectoral fins at first and pattern much later when they are about 4 inches in length.
                            Jaco
                            Jaco Vorster
                            South Africa

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                            Working...
                            X