Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick note on Omosako grow-out

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46

    Originally posted by azngopher View Post
    but i'm hoping for the grand prize! lols.
    Yep, if shiromuji was the criteria! But I get reserve gc for my almost shiromuji.

    Comment

    • #47

      Is there a prize for a "Yeller" fish?

      As Bill already said, thanks to everyone who made this growout possible. There's a ton of work involved in putting one on. This one was handled very well and was a lot of fun.
      The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
      SANDY

      Comment

      • #48

        Kudo's to Omosako, Mystic, Brian, and of course Jim for putting together a great contest. This has been a lot of fun
        Larry Iles
        Oklahoma

        Comment

        • #49

          Originally posted by jnorth View Post
          I'll be posting the final package tomorrow and it will be sent to Omosako for judging. There were a couple issues and thats all been resolved now . Oh yeah see below Thanks Mystic

          Grand Prize - Omosako will offer a selection of tosai from which the GP winner may choose from. This tosai will then receive one year growout in the Omosako mud pond.

          Runner Up Prize - $150 gift certificate from Mystic Koi

          Best Growth - $50 gift certificate from Mystic Koi and a 2kg tub of EA Show koi food

          Least Growth - 2kg EA Show koi food

          Chair Award - Copy of Koi Volume 1 and Koi Volume 2

          All finalists receive a free Mystic Koi T-Shirt http://www.mystickoi.com/subcat544.html
          Thanks everyone. OK, please email or PM us with your T-shirt size. We have both standard T-shirts, as well as "ladies" cut shirts. Please note that the ladies cut shirts run a little small, so if any of the gals out there prefer ones of these, order a size or two up.

          Kind Regards,
          Bill

          Comment

          • #50

            Here are my thoughts of the "finalists" FWIW. Some very nice results and some disappointments. A few of the pictures almost looked washed out with a flash or ?, making the whites look spectacular. Perhaps more than in real life. A good lesson that a real koi show in good consistent light (or better yet Japanese style-GASP) is the best way to really say what's what. All that could easily make my guesses from those pictures go right out the window.

            1) Biggest NICE Surprise for me... I think # 156. With a But...I mean... where the H did that Kuchi sumi go? Everything else sumi wise stayed pretty much constant where one might expect from 1st photo. Maybe it will comeback (not holding my breath) but that is partly why I include it also on my tategoi list. Not show ready right now IMO, but pretty clean nonetheless. And therin lies the nice big surprise to me. 124 was a close second here in this category with the head pattern change.

            2) Most Disappointing Surprise- # 60. Another WTF fish (right now anyway)... I thought this had a chance to be spectacular. Not knowing enough about this breeder and how they develop, but I am sure they would know if the sumi has any chance to come back. Maybe in someone else's water?

            3) My top koi for today.. In no order
            # 113- I really like this koi unless it's male in which case it's off to the mango tree
            110 & 127 (hope the white is real), 65 (also liked very much inspite of the head color), 145 (liked the development even with uneven patten), and 124 (great growth and aforementioned cute face)

            4) Top Tategoi- My keepers if I had a big enough tategoi pond just for these koi (and they were all ours and no males allowed) would include
            #136.. yes I am biased...
            81 (curiosity), 39 (may develop even if it looks like a male), 60.. I mean C'mon! (I still can't believe no sumi), 54 (possibilities and I still hope for sumi on the head to come), 156 (I want the Kuchi sumi and then its bingo bammo), 144 (like the body, worry about the last part of the tail tube and head sumi....I'm sensing a theme), and 153 ( I just like it)

            7) Luke's Mango Tree haven denizens... 85 and 47, which means they will prob be the best ones...

            This was fun Thnx all!
            Best regards,

            Bob Winkler

            My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #51

              Some measurments.........

              # 2 6 1/2" to 13" = 6 1/2"
              # 10 6 1/2" to 15" = 8 1/2"
              # 30 9" to 19 1/2" = 10 1/2"
              #136 6 1/4" to 14" = 7 3/4"
              # 41 6 1/4" to 12" = 5 3/4"
              # 81 6" to 14" = 8"
              #110 6" to 13" = 7"
              # 47 7 1/2" to 19 1/2" = 12"

              #120 6" to 16" = 10"
              # 71 6 1/2" to 12" = 5 1/2"
              #150 6 3/4" to 14" = 7 1/4"
              #146 7" to 15 1/4" = 8 1/4"
              # 65 7 1/2" to 15 1/2" = 8"
              #149 8 1/4" to 16" = 7 3/4"
              #169 6 1/4" to 13 1/4" = 7"
              # 51 7" to 15 1/2" = 8 1/2"
              #135 6 1/4" to 10 1/2" = 4 1/4"

              # 39 6" to 12" = 6"
              # 85 6" to 12" = 6"
              # 33 8" to 17 1/2" = 9 1/2"
              # 60 7 1/4" to 15 3/4' = 8 1/2"
              #124 8" to 19 1/4" = 11 1/4"
              #138 6 3/4" to 16 1/2" = 9 3/4"
              #127 5 3/4" to 17 1/2" = 11 3/4"
              # 54 6" to 14" = 8"
              #145 6" to 13 3/4" = 7 3/4"
              # 64 7" to 14" = 7"
              #151 4 3/4" to 10" = 5 1/4"
              #134 5" to 11 1/2" = 6 1/2"
              #156 7" to 18" = 11"
              # 93 6 1/4" to 16 3/4' = 10 1/2"
              #133 8 3/4" to 13 1/2" = 4 3/4"
              #116 7" to 16 1/2" = 9 1/2"
              #111 6" to 15 1/4" = 9 1/4"
              #171 5 3/4" to 11 1/2" = 5 3/4"
              #155 6 1/4" to 11 3/4" = 5 1/4"
              # 67 5 3/4" to 16" = 10 1/4"
              # 79 6 1/2" to 15" = 8 1/2"
              #113 7" to 17" = 10"
              Koi Wrangler
              CKHPA

              Comment

              • #52

                Originally posted by mstrseed View Post
                #135 6 1/4" to 10 1/2" = 4 1/4"
                Excuses are like.......well you know! I dare not show you mine. Okay, Okay when's the next grow out contest start? I need a chance to redeem myself I have had a super fun time in the contest and learned a great deal from hanging out with you guys. I can't wait to get my hands on more Omosako SU's when I can, as I have not nearly learned enough about the amazing Shiro Utsuri Variety.

                Should this stand as an "Official" ruling, I will be donating my prize of the EA Food to the owner of my personal favorite SU that caught my attention and heart during the contest.

                Thank you for having me.

                With Humility,

                The Pond Digger
                "Doubt sees the obstacles, Faith sees the way!"

                Comment

                • #53

                  Originally posted by Bob Winkler View Post
                  Here are my thoughts of the "finalists" FWIW. Some very nice results and some disappointments. A few of the pictures almost looked washed out with a flash or ?, making the whites look spectacular. Perhaps more than in real life. A good lesson that a real koi show in good consistent light (or better yet Japanese style-GASP) is the best way to really say what's what. All that could easily make my guesses from those pictures go right out the window.

                  1) Biggest NICE Surprise for me... I think # 156. With a But...I mean... where the H did that Kuchi sumi go? Everything else sumi wise stayed pretty much constant where one might expect from 1st photo. Maybe it will comeback (not holding my breath) but that is partly why I include it also on my tategoi list. Not show ready right now IMO, but pretty clean nonetheless. And therin lies the nice big surprise to me. 124 was a close second here in this category with the head pattern change.

                  2) Most Disappointing Surprise- # 60. Another WTF fish (right now anyway)... I thought this had a chance to be spectacular. Not knowing enough about this breeder and how they develop, but I am sure they would know if the sumi has any chance to come back. Maybe in someone else's water?

                  3) My top koi for today.. In no order
                  # 113- I really like this koi unless it's male in which case it's off to the mango tree
                  110 & 127 (hope the white is real), 65 (also liked very much inspite of the head color), 145 (liked the development even with uneven patten), and 124 (great growth and aforementioned cute face)

                  4) Top Tategoi- My keepers if I had a big enough tategoi pond just for these koi (and they were all ours and no males allowed) would include
                  #136.. yes I am biased...
                  81 (curiosity), 39 (may develop even if it looks like a male), 60.. I mean C'mon! (I still can't believe no sumi), 54 (possibilities and I still hope for sumi on the head to come), 156 (I want the Kuchi sumi and then its bingo bammo), 144 (like the body, worry about the last part of the tail tube and head sumi....I'm sensing a theme), and 153 ( I just like it)

                  7) Luke's Mango Tree haven denizens... 85 and 47, which means they will prob be the best ones...

                  This was fun Thnx all!
                  Hey Bob,

                  #60 is disappointing in pics, but the sumi is still underlying from the original pics. When I've pulled the fish everything drops Typical shiro from my pond touch them and they bleed out the gills or stress out.............. But in my pond shiro's seem to do better than gosanke
                  I think the fish still has some hope to it in the years to come............ It'll be interesting to see what comes of it
                  “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler


                  Chris~

                  Comment

                  • #54

                    Originally posted by woodyaht View Post
                    Hey Bob,

                    #60 is disappointing in pics, but the sumi is still underlying from the original pics. When I've pulled the fish everything drops Typical shiro from my pond touch them and they bleed out the gills or stress out.............. But in my pond shiro's seem to do better than gosanke
                    I think the fish still has some hope to it in the years to come............ It'll be interesting to see what comes of it

                    Yep i agree with you That's why I kept it on the Tategoi list ...hope she pans out
                    Best regards,

                    Bob Winkler

                    My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                    Working...
                    X