Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd year as amateur breeder

Hello,
    This is the 3rd season I'm breeding Koi for fun & learning. Even so, I'm already taking care of lots of fry born from 4 different females, spawning dates 4, 6 and 7/April inside a greenhouse. The fry are doing pretty well, with water temp at 20 degrees celsius (68 Farenheit). In early summer the keepers will go to a 600 Tons pond that currently is my main source of Daphnia. I don't expect keeping more than 0.3 % of the fry by mid june, and half of that in late july. I mean, going from an estimate of 325000 eggs to a final number of around 500 young koi -most probably half of that, in late october. Moreover, if I can get around 50 that make the grade I expect, that would be an excellent result for me. Results from last year spawning are quite encouraging.
    Rearing and selecting fry is time consuming, but certainly I find it extremely fascinating. I can only hardly imagine what would be the hobby for me whithout breeding.
    Diego
    Diego Jordano
    Cordoba, Spain
    A.E.K. web site http://www.elkoi.com
    pers. web site http://es.geocities.com/estanqueskois/

There are times I would like to share the experience, but the adventures on this board satisfy the urge. I appreciate the effort involved, and applaud those who pursue breeding with a goal in mind ... and not simply flooding the world with culls. 50 worth keeping would be a great success in my eye.

Comment

congrats on your third year! Breeding koi gets in the blood and hard to stop once you get going. It's quite the challenge!
      Dick Benbow

Comment

Sounds fascinating and something I'm sure which could 'grab' you once you get into it.

I'm hoping to 'assist' with breeding Shiro Utsuri's this year, then take away a very small amount of eggs to grow on. I've set up a small pond to manage this and am really looking forward to my little experiment.

Obviously one of the keys to this is to have some decent parent Koi, so that any 'keepers' are at least of some sort of good quality. The female that will be used is a 3-year old Momotaro Koi, males from Seki (if I remember correctly), so some decent quality there.
        Regards, Bob
        ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º>
        <º}}}}>< <º}}}}><

Comment

Breeding pics

Some pics of my breeding setup and the breeding process.
          All the best,
          Diego
          Attached Files
          Diego Jordano
          Cordoba, Spain

Comment

Nice set up.

Comment

Now that looks like a busy set-up, very nice. What is that thing in the 8th photo please?
              Regards, Bob
              ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º>
              <º}}}}>< <º}}}}><

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hart
                Now that looks like a busy set-up, very nice. What is that thing in the 8th photo please?
                Hello Bob,
                it is a copepod, a small freshwater crustacean. This is the most abundant zooplancton species in the mixure that I get harvesting a big pond. I'm using it as live food for the fry.
                Last year I had a rather important mortality of fry when I started using Artemia. It was caused by Artemia egg shells and unhatchet eggs being eated by the fry. They can't digest the shell and die. It is difficult to extract just the nauplius from Artemia cultures. This year I want to decapsulate the Artemia eggs to overcome this problem. The chemical procedure is not difficult and have many advantages:
                http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/W3732E...0.htm#Contents
                involves using sodium hypoclorite (bleach) and later sodium tiosulfate to neutralize the clorine. I'm still waiting for the sodium tiosulfate that ordered one week ago. In the meantime, I must stick to my live food cultures plus copepods and some daphnia harvested from the pond.
                Diego
                Diego Jordano
                Cordoba, Spain

Comment

Nice set up Deigo.

If you wash the decapsulated cysts really well you do not have to use sodium thiosulfate. Wash them in a plankton net for 15-20 minutes.

You should try Miona (a type of daphnia). If you can keep good green water going, Miona reproduces rapidly and is an excellent live food. Their numbers double every day and the density can go as high as 50/ml. The record is 100/ml.

-steve hopkins

Comment

You can keep the koi and I will take the little girl, she is so cute. I had only a son and always wanted a pretty little girl like that, she looks so sweet.

And what the heck it that "THING" Is it a fish? Strange looking "THING"

I got a question for ya, When the fry hatch out do they look big headed and are all the fry dark. I think mine are hatching and are stuck to the lilies. You can see something that looks like long tails but the head and two eyes are about all I see if that is what I am seeing

Comment

Those are fry. They will be swimming around and looking for something to eat by Sunday.

-steve

Comment

Thanks Steve some of the eggs have not hatched and are still dark. I was wondering are the eggs and fry all dark like this when first hatched out? I hate it because I did not get them seperated so I could get a better spawn but I am going to get some big stock and try to get them to spawn this fall and grow them over the winter. I think in my area I can build a frame over the top of my pond and cover with greenhouse plastic and keep the temps at least 55 deg.all winter. I am going to get me a 55 gallon barel and cut some wood on my boyfriends mother and Dads place and when temp is to get real cold fire it up to keep water temps up. The wood would be free so it would not cost me anything but my time.

Comment

Originally posted by koifishgirl
                          You can keep the koi and I will take the little girl, she is so cute. I had only a son and always wanted a pretty little girl like that, she looks so sweet.

She is my daughter Candela, 4 years old. Last year we took her to the BKKS Koi Show and she had a great time! She is very often "helping" me whenever I'm doing any pond related activity , check the picture below of my "assistant" when she was still a baby!
                          She is very nice, and I would give you any koi or the whole lot but not Candela, no way!

And what the heck it that "THING" Is it a fish? Strange looking "THING"

the THING with big antennae is a copepod, a fresh water small crustacean like the Daphnia, that is, live fod for the fry.
                          The other thing with big black eyes is a fry that hatched just when I was observing the egg under the microscope, it was amazing!

I got a question for ya, When the fry hatch out do they look big headed and are all the fry dark. I think mine are hatching and are stuck to the lilies. You can see something that looks like long tails but the head and two eyes are about all I see if that is what I am seeing
                          Just after hatching they are very small, very light yellow color almost transparent. Most visible part are their black eyes. They are very hard to see in the pond. One day you have lots of eggs everywhere in the pond, the day after you don't see most of them and still you hardly see one or two fry after watching for a while. Next two days I was thinking there were very few fry. Three or four days more and there was a huge swarm! By then all the fry show a light yellow color. In three weeks time some of them (from Sanke spawn) already show some grey markings. Those from Kohaku spawn look dark yellow-orange.
                          Good luck with your fry,
                          Diego
                          Attached Files
                          Diego Jordano
                          Cordoba, Spain

Comment

I cant say that I blame you, she is perfect, I would just love to have her taging along on my side she is so beautiful and looks so sweet. I could just pick her up and hug her she is adorable. She is a beautiful little girl and I can see that she is a daddys little girl at that.

I cant find the first one of my fri as the water is to green. How long before they surface for food. I dont even know how many I have or if I have any at all. I think I do as after the eggs started hatching all I could see were tiny eyes and heads and I use a maginifying glass to see that.

Comment

Excellent !!

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X