stun grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stun grow

After sometime in koi keeping, I'm sure most of us will come across koi that doesn't seen to grow at all. These koi will probably leave our pond very quickly.

I bought a 7 months old Dainich showa at 28cm & a 9 months old matsunosuke sanke at 25cm more then a year ago.
    The showa is now 62cm but the sanke is only 27cm. I'm just curious why some koi grow at snail pace or does not grow totally?? Is there any early signs that we should look for??

SF

Kinda wierd it should be the other way around. You got pics?

Originally posted by swordfish
    After sometime in koi keeping, I'm sure most of us will come across koi that doesn't seen to grow at all. These koi will probably leave our pond very quickly.

I bought a 7 months old Dainich showa at 28cm & a 9 months old matsunosuke sanke at 25cm more then a year ago.
    The showa is now 62cm but the sanke is only 27cm. I'm just curious why some koi grow at snail pace or does not grow totally?? Is there any early signs that we should look for??

SF
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Sounds as though you have a fish that just is not destined to grow. Possibilities are: (1) genetic; (2) being out-competed for food by other tank inhabitants; (3) is an old, stunted fish. [Maybe more possibilities?] If it is #2, then you can alter the situation by changing the care your provide, although there could be a deformity that causes the fish to lose out in the competition. If it is #3, then the fish would likely have had a very finished appearance at the time acquired, and a head shape more like an adult.

Comment

MikeM, I think most probably is possibility nos. 2.
        This sanke doesn't eat as much as the others. I'll transfer it to my q tank so that it can have more food. If it still remain pretty much the same after 6 months then I'll let it be a PR in my q tank to keep the bio-filter going.LOL.

SF

Comment

It's funny that I have similar experience with Matsunosuke sanke. I have bought two times, and both times, they are very slow grower. I am sure it was only a co-incident. Now I am giving a third try with yet another matsunosuke tosai sanke. I hope I have better luck tihs time.

Comment

Kiki,
            does your matsunosuke sanke eat a lot lesser than the rest of the gang?
            What is your opinions for the slow grow that you have observed from your previous 2 sanke?

SF

Comment

I bought a Momotaro Kohak and a Gin Rin Marudo Kohak(Joe knows this Kohak well.. ). The 2 bought at the same time and same lenght(5 inches) did not grow equally. The Momotaro is now 15 inches and the GR Marudo Kohak is 9 inches...Can't explain it...either...Genetics seems to be answer to this, but kinda weird you have the genetics and fish still turned out that way.
              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Aquitori,

I can understand that different koi of different gene grow at different rate. What I don't understand is that koi with good genetics but still doesn't seem to grow at all that puzzle me.
                I have a Hosokai koromo that eat about the same amount of food as this matsunosuke sanke and 5 months younger too but it still develop to almost twice the size of this sanke in length. I only need to pump this koromo up and it'll look nice.

SF

Comment

growing according to color?

Originally posted by swordfish View Post

SF
                  I am old in fish keeping, but fairly new in my experience with koi.
                  First I must say that is a great fish, I love all of theme.
                  On May 2007 I placed 40 koi of 3 inches each in my pond:
                  10 of each color
                  10 black
                  10 White
                  10 Yellow
                  10 red

On MAy 2008
                  Black Koi has growt to 9 inches the largest
                  white koi has growt to 14 inches most of them
                  yellow koi same as the white koi
                  Red koi these are the largest ones, reaching up to 16 inches
                  Also I have now more that 200 new born kois of different stages, I guess that from each spam they survived no more than 20, so I have different sizes, from 4 inches to the smallest ones of 1 inch.
                  I was wondering if any one know how to desing an artificial nest for the koi to spam, now they are using floating plants , but is very difficult to catch the apropiate time to save the fry.
                  My pond is 18 feet wide, 50 feet long and aprox 3 feet deep.

We live in Quito Ecuador, temp range at day time up to 19 centigrades, down to 12 centigrades at late nigth, or early morning.

Best regards
                  Rafael

Comment

Rafrel,
                    What a distinct pleasure it is to have someone posting from your home in this world. WELCOME!
                    Dick Benbow

Comment

Originally posted by swordfish View Post
                      Aquitori,

I can understand that different koi of different gene grow at different rate. What I don't understand is that koi with good genetics but still doesn't seem to grow at all that puzzle me.
                      I have a Hosokai koromo that eat about the same amount of food as this matsunosuke sanke and 5 months younger too but it still develop to almost twice the size of this sanke in length. I only need to pump this koromo up and it'll look nice.

SF
                      It may be internal parasites in some fish . These parasites live in the fish and do not kill the fish or they will lose their host. Prazi will kill worms inside the fish. Just a thought
                      Louie

Comment

Rafael: In your situation it may be best to remove the floating plants when the eggs are first laid and allow the eggs to hatch in another pond. If the plants are difficult to work with, you can use an artificial spawning rope. If you search the internet, you will find pictures of examples. These are available commercially, but you may find it easier to make one of your own using soft materials, like yarn, cloth, bundled straw or whatever is convenient. In a pond the size you describe, I expect many eggs would hatch and produce many koi for you. If not, I think your problem is more likely a lack of proper food for the fry than the adult koi eating the eggs or fry. Others more experienced than I can provide better advice. There are several old threads about raising koi from eggs. Try the search function. Good luck!

Comment

I have access to a mud pond this year. I'm going to move a couple of my "slow growers" to the mud pond to see if that makes a difference.

Mike Pfeffer
                          Mike Pfeffer
                          Northern Midwest ZNA show
                          June 19 - 20, 2010
                          Season's Garden Nursery
                          Fishers, IN

Comment

Mud pond

Originally posted by l113892 View Post
                            I have access to a mud pond this year. I'm going to move a couple of my "slow growers" to the mud pond to see if that makes a difference.

Mike Pfeffer
                            Hi Mike, this is Rafael Ramos , let me tell you that on mud ponds your koi will growt larger and faster.
                            For any one else that it is not able to get a mud pond, try placing old rugs in botom of liner or cement ponds, this will work fantastic because nitro bacter has a place to grow and do its job.
                            Rafael

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                              Rafael: In your situation it may be best to remove the floating plants when the eggs are first laid and allow the eggs to hatch in another pond. If the plants are difficult to work with, you can use an artificial spawning rope. If you search the internet, you will find pictures of examples. These are available commercially, but you may find it easier to make one of your own using soft materials, like yarn, cloth, bundled straw or whatever is convenient. In a pond the size you describe, I expect many eggs would hatch and produce many koi for you. If not, I think your problem is more likely a lack of proper food for the fry than the adult koi eating the eggs or fry. Others more experienced than I can provide better advice. There are several old threads about raising koi from eggs. Try the search function. Good luck!
                              Thanks a lot for your advice, it sounds handy and some how esay to do it.
                              I will keep post any news arising, also will send some pictures of ponds and nests.
                              Regards
                              rafael

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X