Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post - Thinking of buying this goshiki

Hi Guys

What can i say - i'm contemplating buying this goshiki from minuma. This picture is from 2008 at wich time the koi was 7.5 inches.

it has gained a bit of weight since then but it is still quite "male"

so whaddya think? good, bad - lay it out

Thanks
    :cheers:
    Daniel

Price and purpose would be a big decision maker for me. If "male" priced as a pond fish why not? It is attractive toward that end and could be a good one to study the way his fish develop. If priced as a Show Koi I'd have to pass. Too much risk with a male looking fish and a dark head at nissai.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Comment

Hi PapaBear

Price is 530$ and It is definitely the most expensive koi i have ever bought. It is not for show - none of our fish are, they are "just pets". That being said i do take joy in nice Koi

Comment

It's a little bit pricy but why not?
        I think that Minuma' goshiki is not (many) available in the US....

Comment

Daniel: This koi interests me very much. If the soragoi-like base extends over the abdomen, it is much like an old male I still keep, see below. (He was quite striking as a four year-old, but now that he is nine and 25-inches, the beni is not so good.) This will get benched as Goshiki, but I have come to disagree with that label. It is more like the Goshiki-Ochiba crosses Hosakai has been making. Soragoi was used in the early days of making Goshiki, but at this point the red Beni on a Soragoi-base has so much Ochiba in the look that I think it is a different variety altogether. However, if what counts is how it gets benched, it is Goshiki, not Kawarigoi. Mine gets dark in cool water and lightens in the heat of summer. He looks best IMO when the base lightens.... the sumi reticulation at the base of each scale really stands out then. There is brown shading on the head, and yours seems to have some also.

I would be concerned about the beni on your proposed acquisition. The tosai photo indicates some thin/weak areas. Compare the beni on the tosai photo to what you can see in the nisai. If it has thickened, good. If you see that it has receded, beware.

Regarding the price... your opinion is all that counts. It is not a common sort of koi.

BTW, if I ever come across a female with good beni, I will buy it. ....Now, is there a dealer I trust who patronizes this breeder???
          Attached Files

Comment

Daniel: I've been checking out Minuma Goshiki posted on dealer websites in southeast Asia. There are quite a few listed, while it is uncommon to see Minuma carried by dealers in the U.S. They are typically conventional Goshiki with white/light abdomens and pigment developing in the usual kuro Goshiki manner. They are not similar to what you posted. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post

BTW, if I ever come across a female with good beni, I will buy it. ....Now, is there a dealer I trust who patronizes this breeder???
              I havent seen any dealers here in the US who carries Goshikis from Minuma. Well maybe one in Hawaii since he buys mostly from Southern Japan.
              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

If my memory is correct, Mimuma is in Chiba prefecture of kanto region area.

Minuma has been the top brand for Gohsiki in Japan similar to Omosako's Uturi in these years. they are a small size breeder so probably they don't have enough numbers for hobbyists in the US??
                ---------------------------------------------

They are not in Chiba but are in Saitama pref.... 

http://www004.upp.so-net.ne.jp/minuma/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Super Kindai View Post
                  If my memory is correct, Mimuma is in Chiba prefecture of kanto region area.

Minuma has been the top brand for Gohsiki in Japan similar to Omosako's Uturi in these years. they are a small size breeder so probably they don't have enough numbers for hobbyists in the US??
                  ---------------------------------------------

They are not in Chiba but are in Saitama pref.... 

Œï‚ÌŒ©À

Junichi, is Maruju using male oyagoi from this farm?
                  The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori View Post
                    Junichi, is Maruju using male oyagoi from this farm?
                    Tony, I am not sure... it's possible but I guess not.

Comment

Thanks guys!

It'll go into pond if the beni has thickend or at least is the same as in the picture from last year.

i'll post a picture next weekend when the fish is released from quarantine. cheers
                      Daniel

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                      Working...
                      X