Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alage Control, Spawning Help, What do I do!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alage Control, Spawning Help, What do I do!

Hey all, Let me start with a little back round info- I decied I wanted a koi pond and was half way done consturcting it when I got my fish- way to soon, I started with around twenty fish from 6 to 14". I'll be honest I wasn't ready! Here is were I need your help....

I have alage issues, green is every were, I can hardly see my fish, What should I do to get the pond stablized?

Suprise Surprise- I ended up with two fish that look to be pregnate! Which is cool with me but I live in Arizona, and from what I understand they should have already laid thier eggs? Why haven't they? Is it possiable that they are just fat fish?

For Refrence the pond is filled to about 3000 gallons.

Please any help, info, advice or tips would be greatly appricated. Thanks.

Before anyone asks, Can you give us some water parameters? Test the water?

PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite?

Can you post a photo of the fish? I seriously doubt a small fish of 12 inches could be carrying eggs.

How long have you have the pond running, filter systems, water changes?

Thanks,

Motown

Comment

And, please describe the filter system. Green water in a new pond is normal. Problems are also, unfortunately, 'normal'. Getting through this period is a challenge. Without a full description of the set up and water conditions, any advice is just shooting in the dark and as likely to aggravate the situation as to help.

Comment

Don't feel alone. Threads like yours are an annual spring event

It is possible for 12" females to spawn if they are old enough. Some are simply genetically small or stunted early on, but they still become sexually mature. They don't always spawn though just because they're carrying eggs and they may well re-absorb them, which would be best in your present circumstance.

Mike and Motown already asked the right questions so lets see some numbers and details about your pond construction so we know where to start
        Larry Iles
        Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
          Don't feel alone. Threads like yours are an annual spring event

It is possible for 12" females to spawn if they are old enough. Some are simply genetically small or stunted early on, but they still become sexually mature. They don't always spawn though just because they're carrying eggs and they may well re-absorb them, which would be best in your present circumstance.

Mike and Motown already asked the right questions so lets see some numbers and details about your pond construction so we know where to start

Actually it is not the age of the female but the number of "warm hours" she has been exposed to. A one year old Florida koi can be sexually mature...whereas a three year old Michigan koi can still be immature.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
          Working...
          X