Show and Tell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show and Tell

Here are a few pics of my previous season's fish.
    They are 15 months old now and measured between 42 and 48cm.
    The pictures are of poor quality and because there were so much to do I could not wait for the fish to pose for proper pictures.
    The Sanke in the second last pic had this kanoko effect with the Hi from the first time I saw it as a fry at the second culling and I am keeping it to see if it is going to loose it at some stage or if it will stay like this.
    The last Kohaku with the red spot I am keeping as a future parent because of it's good body shape and size 47cm now.

Jaco.
    Attached Files
    Jaco Vorster
    South Africa

Jaco: Thanks for the progress report. There's a couple in the group shot I'd not mind growing on.

Comment

Jcovers, you been busy I have seen. Looking good!!!! Breeding is a step I want to take later in the hobby. You guys make it possible to keep dreaming. But neat to look at nevertheless.. Thanks! Joe
      It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

i swear im gonna have to stop coming here and looking at these fish.
        just teasing myself silly.

Comment

You're doing a good job Jaco!

Maurice.
          http://www.koi-uk.co.uk

Comment

Thanks All,

What really surprised me was the number of Sanke that already started to show Matsunosuke Gin effect.The parents of these were left in the mud pond after spawning and I only had about 6000 fry to choose from so I guess I do have a few good parents and will spawn them properly this year and have about 200 000 to choose from which should increase the quality a lot.
            Thanks again,
            Jaco
            Jaco Vorster
            South Africa

Comment

Some more group shots

For you're viewing pleasure.
              Jaco
              Attached Files
              Jaco Vorster
              South Africa

Comment

As those who have tried their hand at breeding know, it ain't easy! Especially getting a killer pattern with sanke! I think that the body shapes and good size
                are telling as to your fish keeping ability. from the genetics side you just keep adjusting till it cliques. thanks for the photos and sharing your results!
                Dick Benbow

Comment

Congratulations Jaco! You have produced some wonderful fish.
                  Body shapes look great, and some have very nice patterns.
                  It is quite unbelievable they are amost 50 cm in just 15 months!
                  The mediterranean type climate you have in S Africa must have helped a lot...
                  I would like to know how big are your mud ponds and what was approximately the stocking density of the ponds were you grew those Koi.
                  Could you tell us something about your parent Koi?
                  All the best,
                  Diego
                  Diego Jordano
                  Cordoba, Spain
                  A.E.K. web site http://www.elkoi.com
                  pers. web site http://es.geocities.com/estanqueskois/

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
                    estanque_koi our climate is not mediteranian and our Winters are mild compared to Europe.We do have some very hot Summers.
                    The mud pond I grew these koi in was about 400 000 liters and held 65 koi.
                    They did not eat much pellet food and I believe most of there food was natural.
                    The parent koi are Matsonosuke Sanke and Tomoin and Maunzo Kohaku.(spelling)
                    Thanks again for the nice words.
                    Jaco
                    Jaco Vorster
                    South Africa

Comment

Hi Jaco,
                      asked about your climate because the cape region in South Africa has a climate similar to that of part of California, part of Chile, a region in Australia and some mediterranean countries. This kind of climate is known as mediterranean type climate. Mild winters, hot and dry summers. Most remarkable, there are amazing similarities among the vegetation of these different regions of the world. The highest diversity of plant species among these five regions is found in Fynbos of the Cape region, South Africa. I wish I could visit!

Anyway, some of your koi are in my opinion very good indeed. I like the pair of Kohaku in the first picture, also there is a Showa that looks great in the third picture, I think. And I also like two Sanke in other pictures, can't remember the order now.
                      I'm curious, How deep is your mud pond? Have you got some kind of aeration in the pond, at least during the summer months? And finally, how long have you been breeding?
                      Your results are amazing to me, congratulations.
                      Diego
                      Diego Jordano
                      Cordoba, Spain
                      A.E.K. web site http://www.elkoi.com
                      pers. web site http://es.geocities.com/estanqueskois/

Comment

Hi Diego,

I am living in the middle of South Africa in a province named Free State.
                        Here we do not get Winter rain only during the Summer months with an average rainfall of about 450mm per year.Our Winter pond temps goes to ave. 10c and Summer as high as 30c.
                        This was my first spawn born December 2003. I did spawn metalics last year.
                        The mud pond is aerated by seven airstones across the length of the pond at about 1m depth.Piston pump 230l/min
                        The mud pond is about 1.5m deep.
                        Thanks for the compliment, I am planning to spawn Sanke again this season Oct - Dec and hope to increase the quality 10 fold ( I hope )
                        Jaco.
                        Jaco Vorster
                        South Africa

Comment

I'm jealous Jaco. Those are nice fish. Good return from 6000 fry.

I was really keen to visit S.Africa too back when I was collecting Crimum and other amarillids. SA seems to be particularly rich with those species - perhaps because the bulb can carry them through the hot, dry summer.

-steve hopkins

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Our country do have many riches and has the perfect climate for koi too.
                            Glad to live here.
                            Jaco
                            Jaco Vorster
                            South Africa

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                            Working...
                            X