Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gosanke

Hi

I know that kohaku, sanke and showa are gosanke but what does gosanke mean?

Hillary,

Gosanke refers to the "big three" varieties in koi of: Kohaku, Taisho Sanke, and Showa Sanshoku. It's actually a recycled term that originated during feudal times in Japan to denote the three branches of the Tokugawa families; the shogunate which ruled Japan from 1603-1868 AD.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Comment

Hilary,

Trust me, the answers you got to this in response to your post two days ago on koichat are correct, as Brians response above also bears out.
      Andrew

"Gentlemen prefer ponds"

Comment

Hilary, it's hard enough having to learn the Japanese terms, it's even harder learning the history of the words...
        The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary
          Hi

I know that kohaku, sanke and showa are gosanke but what does gosanke mean?

In short, Gosanke mean 'Imperial or Royal 3 families'.

SF

Comment

Thanks to all who have responded and especially to Brian and Swordfish for their informative replies.

While we are on the subject is the word 'gosanke' singular or plural?

Hilary

Comment

It's plural descirbing a group.

Thanks to all who have responded and especially to Brian and Swordfish for their informative replies.

While we are on the subject is the word 'gosanke' singular or plural?

Hilary
              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Good subject on the names etc. So much to learn such as where the name Showa and Taisho come from. The tales behind the name is just as enjoyable!

Joe
                It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

As Andrew points out I have posted this question elsewhere and I thought you might be interested in the following.

A big thank you to Billy of Nicekoi for coming up with the answer to this thread when he saw it in www.koi-ireland.co.uk. Through Andrew, of Selective Koi, Tomoko in Japan says:

'This word comes from the three families of the Tokgawa house in the Edo period (1603 to 1869). It means Triumvirate, the big three.

GO means honourable
                  SAN means three
                  KE means family

The families' names are Mito Tokugawa Ke, Owari Tokugawa Ke and Kii Tokugawa Ke'

Thanks to everyone who took time to look and post on this thread.

Hilary

Comment

thanks Hilary! A little different fare for what is usually discussed and a nice addition to the variety! let us know if you discover anymore.
                    Dick Benbow

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                    Working...
                    X