Born in the USA - The Chase for JR's Dollar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born in the USA - The Chase for JR's Dollar

With the time frame for "the bet" (check out the July/August issue of KOI USA for details)nearing its end,the thought occurred to me, has there ever been a domestically bred "GC B" at a major US show (defined as a show with over 150 koi, longfins excluded)?
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Originally posted by schildkoi View Post
    With the time frame for "the bet" (check out the July/August issue of KOI USA for details)nearing its end,the thought occurred to me, has there ever been a domestically bred "GC B" at a major US show (defined as a show with over 150 koi, longfins excluded)?

Steve I have a question. When "the bet" was made, did it include GC B? I thought the bet was for a GC and as "B" was not part of the equation then, does a B GC count in the chase for JR's dollar??

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy M. View Post
      Steve I have a question. When "the bet" was made, did it include GC B? I thought the bet was for a GC and as "B" was not part of the equation then, does a B GC count in the chase for JR's dollar??
      Nope, the bet was only for GC. I was just curious if their had been a domestically bred GC B.
      The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
      CKHPA

Comment

I have been spending the past several years trying to prove another of his statements wrong. We had a discussion where he mentioned his cut flowers theory. He essentially said if you have a koi that is a baby champ...forget the idea of it holding it's quality and winning GC as an adult. My Marusho Shiro Utsuri has won in size 1, 2 and 3. She was injured this winter..but has recovered well. My goal...to grow a jumbo and win GC with this koi. Proving you can win in multiple sizes classes with the right fish...all the way up to jumbo classes. There is no dollar for this...but, maybe some bragging rights. Time will tell...but, it is a goal of mine. So far...the koi is co-operating with my plan.
        sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Comment

Steve , If I may ask , Has ANYONE seen this "Dollar" I've (We've) heard so much about ? Sound's a little like a Big Foot story . I watch Monster Quest on one of the cable channels , maybe they could run a story on the "Dollar" ?

Troy
          President : GLK&GS
          Officer : NMZNA
          Certified Judge : AKJA

Comment

Didn't JR invest the dollar? I bet he "hopes" to have some "change" left in the end
            “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Comment

Greetings from Brazil

Joe and Sherri White and Martha and myself are in Brazil. Joe & I were invited to judge the ZNA Brazilian National show. The show and the koi kichi we have met in Brazil have been quite the special experience. There have not been any Koi imported into Brazil for about 8 years. All the Koi entered into the show were Brazilian bred koi. I would say based on what we saw at the show and also after the show at a huge koi farm near San Jose De Campos that Brazilian bred koi are very nice and competitive with Japanese bred koi seen at the average U.S. show up to about 20 inches. However, just at most U.S. shows the larger sizes are not competitive with larger Japanese bred koi.

It is interesting to see that the koi hobby continues to thrive in a country that does not allow koi to be imported much the same as Australia.

Todo Bon!!
              Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Comment

Originally posted by RayJordan View Post
                Joe and Sherri White and Martha and myself are in Brazil. Joe & I were invited to judge the ZNA Brazilian National show. The show and the koi kichi we have met in Brazil have been quite the special experience. There have not been any Koi imported into Brazil for about 8 years. All the Koi entered into the show were Brazilian bred koi. I would say based on what we saw at the show and also after the show at a huge koi farm near San Jose De Campos that Brazilian bred koi are very nice and competitive with Japanese bred koi seen at the average U.S. show up to about 20 inches. However, just at most U.S. shows the larger sizes are not competitive with larger Japanese bred koi.

It is interesting to see that the koi hobby continues to thrive in a country that does not allow koi to be imported much the same as Australia.

Todo Bon!!
                Ray
                Are you sure of those facts regarding importing into Brazil?

As I know for a fact that I did all the paperwork for fish shipments to Brazil and these fish were shipped in 2004 & 2005. I also know for a fact that Champion koi shipped fish there in 2004 & 2005. The dealer/hobbyist member of ZNA was a Miss. Priscilla ? cant remember her last name.

Comment

Originally posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
                  Steve , If I may ask , Has ANYONE seen this "Dollar" I've (We've) heard so much about ? Sound's a little like a Big Foot story . I watch Monster Quest on one of the cable channels , maybe they could run a story on the "Dollar" ?

Troy
                  Troy,
                  I am glad you asked about "The Dollar." There have been numerous JR Dollar sightings over the years. In the next issue of KOI USA in fact, there is a picture of it at the beach. In years past, we've seen it out to dinner and rumor even has it that it will be checking out the competition at the MPKS show this weekend (I hope to get a picture of it).

Steve
                  CKHPA

Comment

I didn't hear any laughter from JR's wallet when he was bending over the vat and judging Purdin's big Showa GC at the American Breeders Show in San Diego.

While I don't think it was GC caliber for a major West Coast show, there are several shows in the rest of country where it just might be.

Gotta wonder if the time and place were just right . . .
                    Don Chandler
                    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Comment

Originally posted by KoiCop View Post
                      I didn't hear any laughter from JR's wallet when he was bending over the vat and judging Purdin's big Showa GC at the American Breeders Show in San Diego.

While I don't think it was GC caliber for a major West Coast show, there are several shows in the rest of country where it just might be.

Gotta wonder if the time and place were just right . . .
                      Don, I don't think the time and place will ever happen in the near future.

On the West coast it will never happen. There are some smaller shows accross the country, but this has to be a 150 fish count show with no butterfly's and it cannot be all domestic size 5 and above koi. There has to be a real competition in the larger sizes.

If there is only a size 5-7 Kujaku (Japanese) and 3 USA bread size 5 - 7 kohaku, showa, sanke........ Then it could probably happen.

But NEVER in California

Comment

Hey, now that your big girls have retired from the show ring, my domestic bred doitsu gin rin hikari hariwake akame kigoi's got a much better chance at GC!
                        Don Chandler
                        Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Comment

Hey, now that your big girls have retired from the show ring, my domestic bred doitsu gin rin hikari hariwake akame kigoi's got a much better chance at GC!
                          ROTFLMAO, Now that was funny, I don't care who you are........

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy M. View Post
                            ROTFLMAO, Now that was funny, I don't care who you are........
                            Ditto that
                            Where can I gits me one o' them Don???
                            I heard Russ sold out
                            Larry Iles
                            Oklahoma

Comment

I would come out of retirement before I would allow that to happen.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X