Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?

My wife and myself visited California Koi Farms for the first time today. Let me tell you, this was the most heart wrenching visit I ever had to a "Profesional" koi farm.

You can tell at one time this must have been a great operation. They have several large mud growth ponds, several stock cement ponds, and a "store" area with smaller sale ponds.

It was really sad seeing how this owner, who must of cared about Koi at some point, let the place go. Several of the mud ponds were completely dried up. Most of the stock ponds were either empty with dead bull frogs in them or had little to no water flow/filtration. Most of the fish looked to be in very poor health, with dead fish being almost every pond.

This was an extremely sad day for me seeing this.

Here is there web page Koi Farm Homepage

Originally posted by koi-kichi View Post
    My wife and myself visited California Koi Farms for the first time today. Let me tell you, this was the most heart wrenching visit I ever had to a "Profesional" koi farm.

You can tell at one time this must have been a great operation. They have several large mud growth ponds, several stock cement ponds, and a "store" area with smaller sale ponds.

It was really sad seeing how this owner, who must of cared about Koi at some point, let the place go. Several of the mud ponds were completely dried up. Most of the stock ponds were either empty with dead bull frogs in them or had little to no water flow/filtration. Most of the fish looked to be in very poor health, with dead fish being almost every pond.

This was an extremely sad day for me seeing this.

Here is there web page Koi Farm Homepage
    We have been to Takemi's many times over the years. I know from talking with him last year, that the economy has really hurt him badly.

It brakes my heart to hear that the farm and family have suffered so much.

I had heard that he was selling the farm last year, I don't know how true that was, one thing is for sure if he did sell it he would be living the life of a king, just the property alone is worth millions. He has had many offers over the years for that choice peace of real estate, and has always turned the offers down.

Takemi has much honor and tradition in his blood, I would not be surprised to hear that he is working the farm the best he can, till the economy picks up.

Comment

Do fish farms get a tax break in California?

Comment

Originally posted by kingkong View Post
        Do fish farms get a tax break in California?
        Yeah. They'll break if off just as deep up your azz as they possibly can
        Larry Iles
        Oklahoma

Comment

I believe Cal government had a nasty little clause that nixed agriculture exemption to purely ornamental fish farms and fish grown for exibition. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

I am not that far from Fallbrook (maybe an hour drive or so). I should pay a visit to this place while it is still functioning.

I do not know the all the details of such a business, but a co-worker of mine owns a small avocado farm in the Fallbrook area. Due to increasingly tight restrictions of water usage, he has had to make several "culls" of his avocado trees. He is currently supporting only about 1/3 of the trees that he had on that land at one time. He has paid significant money to have his land re-classified as a primarily agricultural operation (no residence on the land), but -- with respect to water -- he is still paying more and getting far less than he was a few years ago.

I am curious if water restrictions are not also significantly hindering this Koi business?

Comment

As a fellow avocado farmer, I feel his pain. If my water was metered it would be sianara time.

Comment

Walk in their shoes...

Nancy M. stated it best:

"Takemi has much honor and tradition in his blood, I would not be surprised to hear that he is working the farm the best he can, till the economy picks up".

Enough said.
                “In times like these men should utter nothing for which they would not be willingly responsible through time and in eternity.”

Abraham Lincoln

Comment

i know this is a pretty juvenile statement but...has he treid hooking up with a Plant grower to "buy" his water (if that is the problem), and to get arounf the "only ornamentals"... start part of the business selling carp to the asian Population..
                  And we had the mirror image of that here with a lotus hybridizer... Slocum's...he WAS the bomb...i went there about 5 years ago and most of the sales tanks were empty and if you walked around you could see some other buildings that were still functional yet hadn't been used or taken care of for years

Comment

I appologize if it sounded like I was putting Takemi down, that was not my intentions.

My point was how sad it was to see the place so run down, and to see all those dead Koi. One drainage area had about 18 to 20 dead koi in it and another 10 to 15 dying. It is a very sad state of being right now.

Takemi is probably to proud to accept help, but it would be great to see a couple of Koi Clubs "adopt" his koi farm and volunteer to help work it. Maybe help promote it, do auctions, something to help this place survive. I would love to see it get back to full operation and be a thriving koi farm again.

Comment

Well, now I know what the problem is. There are three golf resorts close by.
                      Attached Files

Comment

you are right..he is sitting on a freakin goldmine.
                        There must be an extremely convoluted reason for him to be "maintaining" a koi farm there.
                        Last edited by luke frisbee; 08-10-2009, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by luke frisbee View Post
                          you are tight..he is sitting on a freakin goldmine.
                          There must be an extremely convoluted reason for him to be "maintaining" a koi farm there.
                          It is called family tradition, honor, and most of all love for koi, it is in his blood.

Comment

......and a 300 yard drive in the center of the fairway.

Comment

Originally posted by koi-kichi View Post
                              Takemi is probably to proud to accept help, but it would be great to see a couple of Koi Clubs "adopt" his koi farm and volunteer to help work it. Maybe help promote it, do auctions, something to help this place survive. I would love to see it get back to full operation and be a thriving koi farm again.
                              I had the pleasure to visit Takemi at his Fallbrook koi farm several years ago. I purchased some very nice koi durng that visit. I am sad to hear that the farm appeared to be in less than top condition recently.

Absolutely, This is a tough time for many koi farms in Japan and in the U.S. It is important that we do what we can to support our local koi breeders and dealers. It is sad to see that koi can sell for many times their ordinary value on ebay and local breeders and dealers struggle to sell very nice koi at a fair price. I am sure that the local koi clubs will continue to support their local koi breeders and dealers to the fullest extent possible.

I recently had someone ask me to put together a group club order to buy koi food in bulk to save a few dollars. Saving a few dollars is not necessarily a bad thing but buying koi food in bulk quanities that will last more than a few months makes no sense to me. I want to buy koi food in small batches so it will be as fresh as possible. I also want to support my local dealer and breeders that supports our club and it's events.

Our koi hobby needs to pull together and support the members and professionals that support the hobby. This is especially true today in our economic enviorment.
                              Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X