What it takes to be a judge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What it takes to be a judge?

Just wanted to ask what it takes to be a judge be it AKCA or ZNA?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Re: What it takes to be a judge?

Please see the "How to become an AKCA certified koi judge" artical
    by Bob Finnegan in Koi USA Volume 29, Issue 5 March/April 2005.

Also, here is the webiste - http://www.akca.org/judging/judgappl.htm

Comment

Dinh, welcome to the board. It was nice seeing you yesterday at Champkoi event.
      The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

yes Dinh welcome. I hope you'll feel free to join us as we chat about our favorite
        hobby.

I have to be careful about talking about judges and judging. many of my friends are one ! They can either make or break a show. Over the decades, I have met all kinds. AKCA and ZNA, BKKS
        as well as Shinkokai. I always enjoyed the shows that were judged by professional japanese breeders. They know koi!
        If i could get away with naming a few American judges that i think exemplify
        the best role models it would be Burt Ballou, Larry and Pat Christiansen, and Dr Gene Ewey.

there's is a difficult role. The bigger the show, the tougher the compeition the easier it is to be criticised. The one thing we can't forget is that they come a long way and give of themselves for the hobby. for which we should be eternally gratefull. I remember as a little league coach always challenging the umps. Till one year i was asked to become a certified ump. It wasn't easy making those calls!!! The following year i behaved myself!

I had many a chance to become a judge but i feel most comfortable in my role as Head bencher. Just me and the koi. I do write down after benching the top three places prior to judging. I don't embarass myself too often!
        Dick Benbow

Comment

It was nice to see you too - It was a great koishow - I end up to buy a
          small tategoi Sakuma Kohaku recommended by judge Fugita - Did you
          get any tategoi? Also, it was so nice to have a chance to meet many
          koi masters;-))

Comment

Thanks much Dick for welcoming me on board - I am a newbie and hope
            to learn more from you and others -

Yes, agree! koi judge is a difficult job - Koi is an art - juding koi is
            a complicated matter ;-))

Comment

I know you didn't ask for this explanation but for the record.

The BKKS judging programme requires a trainee judge to pass an entrance exam and a continuation exam each year of his training which can last anything between 3 to 5 years.

In that year in addition to that exam he will be expected to attend 5-6 shows in a trainee capacity where he will receive coaching and assessment in the field. Advancement to the next stage is after a positive assessment from all existing judges.

Once passing beyond the trainee stage he/she will move onto being a probationary for a period of 1-3 years, where advancement to the next stage is after receiving positive assessments from all judges.

rgds BERN
              South East Koi Club

Comment

the minimum requirement is a thick skin, and poker face. I can see many angry koi owners wanting to tear the judge into pieces in every event. As a judge, you can't let that affect your decision, and you can't let that 'you ******, go away' emotion showing up on your face either.

stan

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                Working...
                X