Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The term "Professional" in the koi hobby....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The term "Professional" in the koi hobby....

I have heard this term "Professional" used many times..Is there such a person? If there is, why? Just wanted to get a understanding of this term.....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

One who makes a living (or at least attempts it) by selling koi or working for a koi dealer is the usual definition.

Like a professional vs amature athlete...

Comment

i know a few myself. In the UK there's Peter and Den from Infil.

in the states there's Mat Mc Cann from quality koi and Tony and Arthur from Oregon
      Koi.

this is by no means an exhaustive list! (lol)

there is a hugh difference between a koi kichi (hobbyist) and someone who
      really knows all the aspects of koi. i think the spread is similar to koi breeding. you may start with a ton of eggs, but if you end up with 2-3 top class show fish
      you've done well!
      Dick Benbow

Comment

The term "professional" also implies that someone is very experianced and knows what they are doing. But then the people who build Aquascape ponds call them selves that as well. Caveat emptor... buyer beware. A name is but a name. what you need is REAL knowledge not a title.
        "I'm a professional"... I get the urge to run every time I hear it. Too close to "Trust me, I'm a dealer"

B.Scott
        Semper in excreta, sumus solum profundum variat

Comment

Would anyone who makes any amount of money doing anything associated with koi be a professional? If not, where are the cut-off points.

-steve

Comment

I think if you look purely at the definition of the word... yes. But in general I find it to be quite a grey area. Not sharp divide exists in real life. There are many people out ther who make a living from koi (thus a professional) who don't know squat. On the flip side there are plenty of folks who don't earn a dime (or very little) who are some of the most knowledgable people I have ever met. Many of these people spend vast amounts of time helping others and improving the hobby with little or no compensation.
            Who would YOU trust?

B.Scott

Comment

I think professional would be someone who knows everything like JR...or Dick...there are some dealers I would consider professional and some I wouldn't...so instead of using the term newbie it would be rookie for new hobbyist.

Comment

professional? Why that term...is this about koi Competitions?

Well it stays on my mind. So when I hear that term I tend to think.

SO? A pro is anyone with better koi than the people putting on the show (and their buddies) who is doing just a little more within the hobby to pay for their addiction.

Comment

Have to admit this hobby is like addiction...So we call the dealers the "Pushers" and the hobbys "Addicts" or "Koiheads".....

Comment

A koi dealer is a professional - whether or not it is their sole source of livelihood, whether or not that show a profit at the end of the year, and whether or not they are knowledgable. But, how about someone who imports fish for themselves and buys a few extras to resell to their friends? How about someone who sells a fish to make room in their pond for an upgrade? I agree with B.Scott, its a grey area with no sharp divide and very little guidance.

-steve hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by bekko
                      A koi dealer is a professional - whether or not it is their sole source of livelihood, whether or not that show a profit at the end of the year, and whether or not they are knowledgable. But, how about someone who imports fish for themselves and buys a few extras to resell to their friends? How about someone who sells a fish to make room in their pond for an upgrade? I agree with B.Scott, its a grey area with no sharp divide and very little guidance.

-steve hopkins
                      But, how about someone who imports fish for themselves and buys a few extras to resell to their friends?

Professional by no means. Hobbyist yes. Nice guy to his friends yes. If the hobbyist breaks even and makes no money then thats cool, but still not a professional.

How about someone who sells a fish to make room in their pond for an upgrade?

Professional by no means. Hobbyist yes.

Comment

In the UK the term 'Professional' has two definitions.

1. Learned. Limited to three occupations Law, Human Medicine and Divinity. To be classified as 'learned' the person must possess a doctorate in one of those three disciplines.

2. Rumunerated occupation. The more common definition. It does not infer any superior status, although it benefits from the connotations of the first definition.

Therefore in the UK all dealers are professionals, all hobbyists are amateurs in the 2nd sense.

rgds BERN
                        South East Koi Club

Comment

How about thinking about the line as if koi were cars? (...if we only had koi body shops... )

Car salesmen and dealers are professionals but the guy who sells his old truck isn't.

Comment

Good analogy Jason... so:

"Many koi dealers are like used car salesman. "

I like it. Very apt.

So who cares if they are professional. The word means nothing to me really.

I'm a master plumber and so I guess that qualifies me as a "professional" in that field. Would it surprise you to know that I feel that at least a third of my fellow "professionals" are total D.A.s whom I wouldn't trust to fill a tea kettle? I wonder if the koi hobby might not be even worse?

B.Scott

Comment

This is what I heard from a very credible source on the subject. Apparently, I Japan the defenition was very specific and limited to "koi professionals are people who sell koi for profit". The U.S. version is "anyone who sells koi and all koi related products and services for profit". (These of course are summarized definitions.)

Here's an exapmple: What about my friend's wife who sells purses with "koi print" as the design or "koi shirts". They were telling me because of these, they could be considered professionals?!? How far to do we 'stretch' the rule???

Does anyone else know the "literal" translation of this rule; straight from Japanese to English. Maybe Brian can shed some light on it.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X